Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: DCMag POTY shortlists  (Read 7797 times)

Offline greypoint

DCMag POTY shortlists
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
http://www.photoradar.com/news/story/photographer-of-the-year-2011-travel-shortlist

not sure who actually wades through the thousands of entries to select the shortlists - can't be the judges surely...life's too short  :D

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Re: DCMag POTY shortlists
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
http://www.photoradar.com/news/story/photographer-of-the-year-2011-travel-shortlist

not sure who actually wades through the thousands of entries to select the shortlists - can't be the judges surely...life's too short  :D

It is a bit of a puzzle how they cope. It's the one big flaw in the competition, the real judges, whoever they maybe, are presented with the choices that are made by the magazine staff, so it's their take on photography that is foremost, and perhaps are pictures that will look good in future editions.

That having been said there are some good images within the 180 or so that are shortlisted and would do well in club competitions.

I was amused with the question on 'Wildlife' definitions, should animals in captivity count? I would think poking them with a stick would meet the criteria. :legit:

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
I was amused with the question on 'Wildlife' definitions, should animals in captivity count? I would think poking them with a stick would meet the criteria. :legit:

Rather reminded me of the NTNOCN sketch "Gerald the Guerilla"
Rowan Atkinson: When i caught Gerald he was wild
Mel Smith aka Gerald the Gorilla: Wild, i was bloody livid!  :2funny: :D

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm some what in agreement with Alan a bit.

I've gone through almost all of the sections - and it's clear that some of the people creating shortlists have as much idea about 'head turning' photography as they do about updating a web site called DCMag.com.

Some are outstanding - but a lot are just - not!

There were 1 or 2 that i  thought were not beyond what i could have achieved - and i aren't that good for this 'alledged' level of competition.
The portraits section contains a few images that could've come off Abers site - take that as a compliment for Alan (who loves to enter a competition) and few that left me questioning how you define portrait.

A load of Monks were to be found again along with the usual groups of children, though i liked the one of the teacher in the classroom with the kids.

So, all in all, as there will no entrants from any one i know - i will not not be popping over to add an opinion or vote.
And further more - re-states my view that the site has nothing to interest me...

Offline jinky

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
Interesting range with some very good and some not so but you have to be in it to win it. Did not bother this year with the fee and the aggro I got last time.I note the guy who gave me a hard time and cried on his blog about people being multiple shortlisted and being pros (and other such stuff not against the rules) has this year got two shortlisted and tells all on his blog. It would be tempting but beneath me to say something to him. Nah - I`ll just suffice with not voting at all. Wonder how many entries they got with the fee?

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
I wasn't going to enter, but did, in the end.
I'm convinced the number of entries was a lot lower than in the past.

Of course I got nowhere, even my best photographs are not to the staff's taste. I know of at least one picture of mine, that someone (who knows his onions erm ... photos) recommended as a POTD, with all the reasons why it was a splendid photograph, but even that got nowhere.

My entry was only half hearted, so I wasn't really involved with commenting on other people's photos and voting and things like that, but, in spite of not giving votes and therefore not getting votes in return, some of my shots were on the first or second page of the 'most popular,' or 'highest rated,' or whatever it's called. Especially two of my 'creative license' photos were constantly in the foreground. And some of the others as well.

But, as I said, I wasn't really expecting anything.

So, if I'm tempted again next year, will you all please reason with me, and stop me from wasting my money?

(Spellchecker doesn't seem to work, so apologies for any typos!)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
I had a look at some of them. A few good shots to be sure, but an awful lot of stuff that simply does not fit the brief. I'm sure Oldboy will join me in wishing all the best to whichever non UK photographer with loads of gear and opportunities most of us can only dream of gets the main prize .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Cathus

• http://blog.glnphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
I was struck by a couple of photos which appear to have been shortlisted in more than one category, and amazed that several photographers managed to get more than one shot in the top listed.

I always wonder whether having access to an exotic location in a comp run and judged by folk in the UK starts off with an added advantage as so many in these comps seem to do so well.

I've never entered any of these comps, I certainly wouldn't be attracted to a competition based on my willingness to pay to enter.

(having just been asked the correct spelling of my name so all 3 cups at my camera club can be awarded to me for 2011, I'm happy for my fame and fortune to remain pretty local)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »
I was struck by a couple of photos which appear to have been shortlisted in more than one category, and amazed that several photographers managed to get more than one shot in the top listed.

I always wonder whether having access to an exotic location in a comp run and judged by folk in the UK starts off with an added advantage as so many in these comps seem to do so well.

I've never entered any of these comps, I certainly wouldn't be attracted to a competition based on my willingness to pay to enter.

(having just been asked the correct spelling of my name so all 3 cups at my camera club can be awarded to me for 2011, I'm happy for my fame and fortune to remain pretty local)

Maybe if we could find a similar competition, run in say Malaysia or India, we might score highly as our photos would have the 'different' factor. Nice, fresh green landscapes, light skinned kiddies on a beach, snow photos, skating etc etc.

My fortune is non existent, but I'm happy with my 'fame' as a winner  of the weekend competition here, plus the honour of having had a picture as the Image of the week. On that other site, I have had two wins (weekend competition) and last time I was one of five 'runners up' in the competition corner on Flickr. Haven't been doing badly these last few months! And these small competitions are much more fun!

Struggling with my concrete at the moment though!

picsfor

DCMag POTY shortlists
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
How many seek fame, only to find they can't cope with the trappings of fame? Or the hangers on that lead them astray?

I'm happy with my celebrity status.z

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
I had a look at some of them. A few good shots to be sure, but an awful lot of stuff that simply does not fit the brief. I'm sure Oldboy will join me in wishing all the best to whichever non UK photographer with loads of gear and opportunities most of us can only dream of gets the main prize .

:2funny: :2funny:

It's not the gear I object to but the fact the winner usually come from the far east.  >:(

Noticed J A Mortram has a photo in the Portraits section.  :tup:

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 12:19:07 AM »
Or the hangers on that lead them astray?

I don't mind the hangers on as long as they are nubile females, or even glamorous grannies at my age!  :P

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »

Of course I got nowhere, even my best photographs are not to the staff's taste. I know of at least one picture of mine, that someone (who knows his onions erm ... photos) recommended as a POTD, with all the reasons why it was a splendid photograph, but even that got nowhere.

My entry was only half hearted, so I wasn't really involved with commenting on other people's photos and voting and things like that, but, in spite of not giving votes and therefore not getting votes in return, some of my shots were on the first or second page of the 'most popular,' or 'highest rated,' or whatever it's called. Especially two of my 'creative license' photos were constantly in the foreground. And some of the others as well.

So, if I'm tempted again next year, will you all please reason with me, and stop me from wasting my money?

Come on, don't be greedy now. You've won the competition here, had image of the week and won the weekend competition on PR, what more do you want?  ::)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »

Come on, don't be greedy now. You've won the competition here, had image of the week and won the weekend competition on PR, what more do you want?  ::)

I too, want my share of hangers on, especially glamorous, greyhaired men, to lead me - almost - astray, and give my life some added excitement! Don't need the POTY money, as it does not even pay for a new kitchen!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »

I too, want my share of hangers on, especially glamorous, greyhaired men, to lead me - almost - astray, and give my life some added excitement! Don't need the POTY money, as it does not even pay for a new kitchen!

Sorry, only grumpy ones left!  :dance:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 198/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635997/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM