POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: New Flash  (Read 2997 times)

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
New Flash
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
I'm thinking of finally getting a new flash for my Canon EOS 50D. I've currently got a Speedlite 380EX which is quite old, takes an age to recycle and only twists one way.

Any suggestions of what I should go for? Canon or third-party? Anyone any experience with the Nissin, Sigma, Metz, Sunpak kit? The only thing I need to have is a head that twists both ways so I can shoot landscape or portrait. I've already got a remote flash trigger so no need for the new flash to have that feature.

Would welcome any suggestions or experiences  :tup:

thanks

Steve
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:20:26 PM by stevebedder »

Offline bones615

Re: New Flash
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
I have a sigma 500dg ? and 2 yongnuo flashes never had Canon to compare, I cant pretend I understand the Sigma and use it on manual occasionally with a wireless trigger for hair light or outside pointing at the bird table. The yongnuo's are great for the price and I use them on a bracket with wireless triggers for macro shots. I could live without or learn to use the Sigma but the cheapies are great for my needs. Horses for courses i suppose.

Simon

skellum

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
I have a Sigma 500 DG Super and a 530 DG Super.  Never had a problem with either of them except for a broken hotshoe which was my fault. As ever it all comes down to money which is why I went down the Sigma road in the first place instead of Canon. I would not use anything cheaper than Sigma though. I have seen a Chinese wannabe which was not very impressive.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
I'm not a Canon owner, but I didn't feel like coughing up the higher price for a proprietary flash, so I went for a Metz 58AF.

It's been really good, and I especially like the secondary reflector which can be used to get a catch light in a subject's eyes when the main head is being bounced elsewhere, or otherwise defused.

I also have a Yongnuo as a secondary portable light - it's a 460 so it is a manual not dedicated unit, but it has an optical slave trigger and it was a cheap as can be. That has also worked flawlessly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
if the 380exII has been fine up to now, i wouldn't go above a 430exII.

That said, the yongnuo canon-a-likes are extremely good value and you can get a 580 equivelant for much less than the price of the genuine article.
A lot of strobists use them - surely they can't all be wrong?

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, they are very useful.

I've just had a chat with a friend who has set himself up as a photographer and he has a couple of the Nissin speedlites and couldn't recommend them enough! Having a quick look at them you get a lot for your money - they seem much better value that the Canons and seem to have more features than the Sunpak etc.

This was the one I was looking at, it's got an extra forward facing spot flash which kicks in when your bouncing off the ceiling  :D

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nissin-di866-professional-flashgun-canon-fit/p1031356

My only decision now is do I go with Warehouse Express or do I go for the Hong Kong based eBay store that sells the same unit for £70 less??!?

On a completely seperate note - isn't the weather rubbish today!!!  :-[

Steve

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »

On a completely seperate note - isn't the weather rubbish today!!!  :-[

Steve

No. Here it's blue sky with lots of sunshine at present.  :P

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nissin-di866-professional-flashgun-canon-fit/p1031356

My only decision now is do I go with Warehouse Express or do I go for the Hong Kong based eBay store that sells the same unit for £70 less??!?

It's about £40 cheaper on amazon than it is on Warehouse Express, grabbed this link from the CC amazon shop, http://astore.amazon.co.uk/camercrani-21/search?node=1&keywords=Nissin  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
Interesting......How does that work then Mick, is it your shop or is it an affiliate type scheme?

Thanks for the link

:tup:

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
Interesting......How does that work then Mick, is it your shop or is it an affiliate type scheme?

Thanks for the link

Steve, yes it's a affiliate program supplied by Amazon.  https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/  I've added a few banners and adds throughout the site, and a link to the aStore in the quick links on the front page.  All products come through Amazon as normal.

My Gallery

Offline Simple

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
I know quite a few people that went the Nissin route, and they all love them. Stay away from the cheaper Nissin models I have been told.

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
Done quite a bit of looking round the t'interweb today and there's a lot of positive noise about the Di866.

At £250 on warehouse express I was thinking twice, but at £190 on the CC Amazon store it's on my shopping list

:D

picsfor

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »

Thanks for the link

Steve, yes it's a affiliate program supplied by Amazon.  https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/  I've added a few banners and adds throughout the site, and a link to the aStore in the quick links on the front page.  All products come through Amazon as normal.

Mick you need to be making your shop more well known. Funding is always difficult - but don't set it up and keep it a secret. C'mon - you do a great job with this site and are entitled to blow your own trumpet a bit. Even garner a bit of sponsorship...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:57:05 PM by admin »

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
Andrew thanks.,

edited your post above to bring your reply out of the quote. ;)

Re: the shop links.  I'm now wondering if you guys can see them, they should be visible at the top of the forum index page, and down the left hand side of the home page,  via a vertical banner, and from the Quick links menu. Plus a couple more dotted about in various places.

My Gallery

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 11:07:50 PM »
I can see them.  :tup:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 88/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 184/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 110/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 232/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 69/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594821/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571990/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM