Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Photoshop on E: Drive?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Photoshop on E: Drive?
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Not quite decided yet whether or not I'll buy Photoshop, but, if I do, is there any reason I could/should not put in on my E; drive?

On my C: drive I have 54 GB free, of 148 GB.
My E: drive has 142GB free of 147 GB.

I know there's important stuff on the E: drive (even though I haven't a clue what it is), but that drive has been sitting there ever since I bought my laptop, with all that space available.

Can I? Should I? Could it cause problems? And is there anything I should do, or not do once it's on there?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Oldboy

Re: Photoshop on E: Drive?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
Yes, you can install Photoshop on the E drive but it will still install a bit of it's self on the C drive. My guess is you have a 320gb hard disk which is split into drives C and E. The E drive is where they put the backups of Windows system files. Why not move your image files to the E drive as that would free up more space on the C drive, but anything above 10gb free space on your C drive is fine for windows. You could also move the Windows Swap file to the E drive if you wished.  ;D

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »
Yes, you can install Photoshop on the E drive but it will still install a bit of it's self on the C drive. My guess is you have a 320GB hard disk which is split into drives C and E. The E drive is where they put the backups of Windows system files. Why not move your image files to the E drive as that would free up more space on the C drive, but anything above 10GB free space on your C drive is fine for windows. You could also move the Windows Swap file to the E drive if you wished.  ;D

Thanks OB. I do indeed have a 320 GB hard drive. I also have two external hard drives for my image files, where I regularly 'dump' the files I think I won't need for the time being. The amount of image files fluctuates therefore regularly, so I thought, if I put programmes on the 'spare' drive, I don't run the risk of filling up that particular drive with mounting numbers of pictures, and keep enough space on the C: drive to work with.

I haven't got a clue what Windows Swap files are, where to find them and how to transfer them!

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
I always go with this set up as I have found I get the best performance....

C: for OS and applications
D: (or similar letter) for temp files, swap file and data

You can move temp file location and swap file using System Properties > Advanced... (from memory)

Steve

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
I always go with this set up as I have found I get the best performance....

C: for OS and applications
D: (or similar letter) for temp files, swap file and data

You can move temp file location and swap file using System Properties > Advanced... (from memory)

Steve

Thanks Steve.  If I used my brain, I'd move most of my images to my hard drives. It's simply laziness that I don't. Too much 'hard work' to switch the things on and transfer pictures to the laptop, or work directly on the external drive.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Unless you have a physically different drive, there is no reason to move the swap file from where it sits as a default - the heads still have to move from whence they come from to read/write the swap file.

Good reason to have your documents on a separate disk or partician - it means that a format c: doesn't wipe your data too  ::)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 08:00:37 AM »
Unless you have a physically different drive, there is no reason to move the swap file from where it sits as a default - the heads still have to move from whence they come from to read/write the swap file.

Good reason to have your documents on a separate disk or partician - it means that a format c: doesn't wipe your data too  ::)

Thanks. Think I'll leave everything as it is, apart from moving more files to my external drives.
I have the (unreasonable, I know) fear of the total non-tech computer user, of changing anything at all! Doesn't mean I don't occasionally think about it though, ask questions and then decide to do ... nothing in this case.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 124/5 Oldboy Last post August 04, 2020, 11:12:39 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 27/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 214/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635387/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 31/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 184/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 223/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM