What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: So PhotoRadar is going back to Digital Camera and new Nikon Mag  (Read 4463 times)

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
So PhotoRadar is going back to Digital Camera and new Nikon Mag
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Here is their announcement:

We're making quite a few changes to PhotoRadar in the coming weeks which I wanted to let you know about.
The most noticeable change is to the name. The photography world is awash with competitive magazines and websites, and it makes more sense for our #1 photo magazine and our #1 photo website to share a name, so we'll be changing PhotoRadar to Digital Camera World.
We also want to improve these forums and make them a better place to share pictures and to comment and critique eachother's work. So we'll be building galleries right in to the forums, and making it much simpler to upload pictures and comment on them. Our technical folks are working out how to do that right now.
Because we're building galleries into the forums, we won't need the existing galleries, and we'll be turning them off shortly. If they are your only on-line copies of those photographs, now would be a good time to move them.
We're going to massively increase the amount of photography equipment we review, and we've created a dedicated photography channel in the UK's #1 consumer technology site, TechRadar, to house them all - please add it to your Favourites to get all the latest photo product news and in depth tests:
TechRadar Photography
The main site is going to be simplified and will focus on techniques to improve your photography and use of Photoshop. We have plans to hugely increase the number of video lessons over the coming year.
I hope that you'll find the changes, particularly here on the forums, a big improvement.
A couple of other things while I've got you!
Firstly, we've got a new magazine coming out. Those of you who own Canon cameras may know our Canon magazine PhotoPlus. Well, Nikon owners no longer need feel left out when N-Photo launches next month. Why Nikon specific? Because we don't have to waste pages reviewing lenses which don't work; because we can make our detailed guides specific to the controls and features of your camera; and because we can give tutorials on using Nikon software as well as Photoshop. Look out for it from November 24th.
Lastly, Marcus Hawkins, who has edited PhotoRadar since it launched, is leaving to become a freelance writer. I'm sure all of us wish Marcus all the best, and we'll still see him on these pages writing great techniques guides in the future. Thanks for all your hard work on PhotoRadar Marcus.
Because Marcus is leaving, we're left a bit short handed here, especially as we prepare these changes, so please bear with us if the site isn't updated quite so often in the coming few days.

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
Re: So PhotoRadar is going back to Digital Camera and new Nikon Mag
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I remember a similar spiel being published at the last change from DCM to PR.
They screwed that change up big style and lost hundreds of good members. They even banned or threatened to ban some for pointing out their errors with the codes etc.
 Already they are telling us they are short handed and key people leaving so I wont be surprised if it all goes T.U.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
'Our technical folks are working out how to do that right now.'...............

if that's your job don't you have to know how to do things like that?  ???

Is it being closed down and re-started again then...or is it just an update?

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
Well that did not last very long  :D and I will not be tempted to go back  :beer:  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
Just put in a plea to keep the existing galleries in tact. I would hate to lose treasured memories in the form of comments!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Just like last time they are wiping the galleries - the main reason I only put a couple of test pictures on there after the change was because I thought to myself 'they've done it once, they'll do it again'. And they have. I certainly won't waste any of my time on it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
I think you might be unlucky with the galleries  - it seems to read as if they will disappear into the same void as the years of postings to the old DCMag site  :'(

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
It's a pity they didn't do this before PR was launched!  :uglystupid2:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »
Yep, I'm to lose my treasured memories! I'll find a way to keep the most loved comments though, can always copy them in a Word document. Not too bothered about the photos as I've got copies of them all, somewhere.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
Perhaps we will see an exciting swell in numbers here  ;) ;D :beer: :dance: :beer:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
Perhaps we will see an exciting swell in numbers here  ;) ;D :beer: :dance: :beer:
You meant like last time they change from DCM to PR? :)

Offline greypoint

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Depends if they get it right this time or if they hack people off like they did last time. Not many of the long term DCMag regulars stayed with PR.....not that 'the team' were bothered  :legit:

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »

I doubt it TBH, but we can hope. ;)

The old galleries will be gone for good, and to be honest, if they are just moving it to a forum based affair, then I reckon the only way would be start afresh, or it will be a mess, and very confusing IMO.  Plus it'll free up many Gigabytes of old pics from people who don't even visit any more.

My main concern is whether they actually fix the forum first, before adding bits to it.  :legit:

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »

Hope not too exiting! I can do without certain regulars from PR.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »

Hope not too exiting! I can do without certain regulars from PR.

Registration is on an approval basis, so shouldn't be any problems there.  :)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 591641/3921 Jediboy Last post Today at 08:47:42 AM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 570434/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 81/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 361/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 151/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 25/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 204/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM