• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 178
  • Total: 178
  • Google
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Does your taste change with time?

Started by ABERS, July 22, 2011, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I had an interesting afternoon with an old photographic pal who I hadn't seen for some ten years or so, and whose work I greatly admired back then. We spent some time looking at his current work. It was totally different to what he was doing very successfully all those years ago and I remarked on this.

He said that when he started he, like most of us, wanted to take pictures that pleased everyone. Today that's the last of his considerations.

He came up with an interesting analogy. He thought that when you start out in photography it was a bit like a child whose taste in food tended to be somewhat middle of the road, with highly flavoured sweet food predominating. As you progressed your tastes changed to more subtly flavoured foods and you were more likely to experiment with what was on the menu, and you even got to like Brussels sprouts!

An interesting thought.

Now, where's those Jelly Babies? :legit:

irv_b

With your wit  (and sideways look at life) Alan surely it's sherbet lemons you're scoffing  :2funny: :2funny:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on July 22, 2011, 07:42:55 PM
With your wit  (and sideways look at life) Alan surely it's sherbet lemons you're scoffing  :2funny: :2funny:

Most likely Worthers!  ;D

Reinardina

My taste is definitely changing/has changed, in food as well as photography. Still not keen on sprouts though.

In photography I am searching for my 'natural subjects,' if you know what I mean. I'm still very much in the experimental stage, trying out different things. Trying to find what suits me, my circumstances and my camera, and what simply does not work.

I am already moving away from trying to please others, and doing my own thing. I realised this recently, when I have entered some pictures in the PR weekend competition that I knew, would be ignored. One was indeed ignored, but the other one did get noticed. This competition however, is not what it used to be when 'you lot' still entered, and sometimes photos come out top, where even I can see they're rubbish. And, I am not very good at seeing what's wrong with a photo, unless it's blatantly obvious.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Skhilled

I also agree...you just can't make me like sprouts!  :2funny:

But as you get older you start viewing the world about you differently and so you tastes will change. There are many things that I still do as I've done since childhood. But there are also things I no longer do or have started doing that I would never have considered long ago. And I'm sure the longer I'm into photography my tastes for what I like to photograph will also change.
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Oldboy

Skhilled

Nikon D3000

ABERS

Still like sprouts, but I'm getting confused now. I used to like Fishermen's Friends, but now I can't stand them ???

Do you think it's something to do with colour and B+W? :doh:

Skhilled

Nikon D3000

Beryl

I love Sprouts t and Jelly Babies.........................................Not together mind
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

anglefire

Sprouts drizzled with Maple Syrup - thats a good combination :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

sprinkles

I agree with this too, my tastes have changed a lot, I'm looking at things differently, and I am finding I enjoying editing (learning to) photos as much as taking them (learning to).
And I also find I'm starting to take and edit /take pictures to suit my own tastes, rather than to please other people.

I don't like sprouts though, give me a Jelly Baby anyday!

Simple

My mother, long passed away, used to come up with wonderful sayings. One of them was that your taste chances every 7 years. Recently watched QI with Stephen Fry, one of my favourite programs, it mentioned that the oldest part of the human body is 7-9 years old due to regeneration. Personally I think that taste in photography changes with skill/knowledge.

spinner

Quote from: anglefire on July 24, 2011, 10:55:32 AM
Sprouts drizzled with Maple Syrup - thats a good combination :tup:

And a little bit of crumpled up bacon! Only way I'll eat them.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

I'd have to say they do change. 40 yrs. ago I wouldn't have looked twice at a bird. Now sitting in the garden watching them and trying to get interesting photos is one of my favorite pastimes.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.