POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: Can't Believe its not been asked.  (Read 921 times)

Offline bones615

Can't Believe its not been asked.
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
Christmas is coming & I am due an upgrade. 5dmk2 or 7d??? Just starting to do some research so would be grateful of your input.
Done a deal with the boss, new kitchen = new camera  :tup:
My favourite lenses at the moment are the bigma & tamron 90 macro so my head says 7d for the 1.6x sensor but the whole world raves about the 5d & using a full frame sensor (bit like the 50mm prime that i never got on with).
Pros & cons please, what can one do the other cannot.

Thanks Simon
p.s. before you suggest it I dont want a Nikon or pentax  ::)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Can't Believe its not been asked.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
FWIW my neighbour is a published wildlife photographer and he uses Canon, including the big expensive 500mm thingy; is it an f4? All I know is it cost more than my car is worth.

Anyway, all his bodies are the APS-C ones - he maintains that the 1.6 factor is more use in what he does than having full frame.

But he also says that if he was starting again he would buy Nikon . . .  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:03:45 AM »
This is an almost daily question - and the answer really is quite simple.

These 2 cameras were built to perform difference duties, though they will undertake a respectable foray into each others territory, with mixed results.

If you are into sports, wildlife etc, then it's the 7D.
If it's landscape, stock, still subjects, portraits, weddings etc - then it's the 5D2.

I've had the 5D2 almost since it came out and i love it to pieces, why? The 21mpp FF sensor resolves soooo much detail and can comfortably shoot with an ISO of 6400 with out a care in the world ( i frequently shoot at that setting for artistic purposes  ;) ). The image allows you to crop an image without fear of losing too much needed detail.
The achilles heel of the 5D2 is its focusing system, which it inherited from the 5D - a camera costing nearly £2k should have more than a 9 point focus system which comprises a single cross hair focus point (in the centre) and 4 assist focus points that you can't select. Madness  >:(

I've looked at the 7D as a second body, but didn't because the body is a different size to the 5D2 and did not fit in my hand comfortably - but it does have a much better focusing system and i know several members on this site that are avid uses.

Now, my final warning for either of these cameras - they are lens killers :knuppel2:
By that, i mean they will expose any glass that is not of the best quality, with only some of the non L primes getting away with it amongst the Canon range. A good example is the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens. Long considered one of Canons success stories amongst lenses - and yet i can frequently take pictures where quality indicates i need to upgrade to the L version.

You will read much talk of newer models being due - but i wouldn't wait on rumour for choice - Canons plans for new bodies is the stuff of bookmakers, and there are no short odds! 

Offline Simple

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:09 AM »
Around X-Mas I suppose the 5D mark 3 or the 6D is out. The mark2 came out in 2008.

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »
mmm, wouldn't bank on it - we still haven't seen a 1Ds4 yet, and rumours are now doing the rounds that Canon may now split the 5D range into sub modles, once with enhanced video features, and one with out.

Rumours also indicte that there may not be a 1Ds4, or that the next 1D model with be a unifying model, pitting it against a D4 etc.

As i said, the future models are in the hands of bookmakers with long odds.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 88/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 184/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 110/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 232/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 69/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594815/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571982/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM