POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Screen calibration  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Cathus

• http://blog.glnphotography.com
Screen calibration
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »
I have two monitors, Samsung & Belinea LCDs.

I'm not sure I'm understanding screen calibration correctly. I assumed that when I calibrated both screens they would end up with a similar display.

My Samsung seems to be much duller than I've had it until now & has a greenish tint to it & shows up the reds in colours quite vividly. My Belinea seems much brighter & whiter & more what my photos should look like

I'm struggling to understand where the calibration says reset brightness & contrast to defaults as I can;t see an settings on either screen to do this & the calibration software seems to be suggesting turning the brightness down quite low, but then when calibrated, keeps it really low.

Anyone got any tips or useful links?

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: Screen calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
What do you have in the way of calibrator?

I had a heuy which asked those questions. Never did really get to see what they wanted. As long as I could see both ends of blacks and whites it seemed to work ok.

Make sure you set any in monitor profiles to standard.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Cathus

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:13:18 AM »
its a Spyder Pro 3, you've lost me already on 'in monitor profiles'

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:25:24 AM »
I use QuickGamma that calibrates every time the PC fires up. Adobe have one in there software as well, so it may be worth just checking for any conflict in that or the monitor drivers. Immediate thought would be, reset the Samsung to factory setting and then reinstall it ? 
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:28:22 AM »
The monitor profile is what the Spyder software creates.

To adjust the monitor hardware there should be a menu button somewhere on the monitor itself, usually along with + and - or 'up' and 'down' buttons for changing the values. One of the menu options should be 'default' or 'factory reset' or something along those lines.

So have a fiddle with these buttons until you are happy with the brightness and contrast and then adjust the colour channels as required when the Spyder programme asks you to.

Good luck.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Cathus

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »
Ok, if I press the 'reset'setting, it immediately increases the whiteness & brightness to something that looks good to me. When I calibrate, Spyder tells me to turn the brightness down & then does it's stuff & makes the screen really dull & green/red tinted.

I can't see a setting on my other screen for reset, there is one called 'recall' but this doesn't appear to have any effect

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
I am at a loss then. Have you tried ignoring the instruction to turn the B&C down?

I've got a Spyder 2 so it's probably not as sophisticated (read bossy).
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 123/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 174/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 220/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 21/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM