STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollRFELCTIONS - Chat Thread...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice house

Author Topic: Explaining the inexplicable.  (Read 1734 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Explaining the inexplicable.
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
We all have problems with making sure that the pictures we make are understood by the people that view them. What were our intentions and feelings when we pressed the button or why did we process them in the way that we did?

Now it would seem somewhat banal to take a series of pictures of a chap mowing a lawn, but it appears we would be wrong in taking that view, or so we are lead to believe by the author of just such a series. It goes to show that if you think hard enough you can come up with whatever explanations you like as to why such a series are worthy of inclusion in an exhibition.

I've often said before I am certain I'm photographically dyslexic and visually illiterate, and this video confirms my self diagnosis I'm afraid. :(

I like the 'sounds off' at the end of someone shooting themself after listening to him :legit:

http://vimeo.com/15230515

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Explaining the inexplicable.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
I think it was summed up nicely by the weather phrase  :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

skellum

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
Not wishing to appear jealous of this " Artist " for his work / exhibition but I think people like him seem to be living some sort of charmed existance that they are very good at getting away with.../ :knuppel2:

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
I don't know much about art, but I do know about pretentious nonsense.

Mr Graham is an expert.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
We have a phrase in England.....Crap.  :uglystupid2:

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
Pretentious crap. I've never heard of the saying 'monkey's wedding' to describe sun and rain.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:09:20 AM »
Pretentious crap. I've never heard of the saying 'monkey's wedding' to describe sun and rain.

As said, that summed it up for me too. A bit like aunt fanny at the breakfast table, a load of flannel in a snap that tickles someones imagination, and gets somewhere through a measure in audacity and or interesting title and byline.  :2funny:

Should'nt knock it though, someday someone may latch on to some of your shots, inviting delightful struggle abounding phrases.  :tup: :beer:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:11:41 AM by beauxreflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Cathus

• http://blog.glnphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
for someone who thinks he knows what makes good art, it's a shame he didn't produce any.

'monkey's wedding'?

Offline Markulous

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:53:53 AM »
Actually, I've no problem with his photographic social commentary but I wouldn't have suggested it was "good" or sufficient to go into an exhibition - he's obviously just generally confused:
In South African English, a sunshower is referred to as a "monkey’s wedding"
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline Malcolm1938

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Probably hardly worth a mention but when I lived in Aberdeen I heard the expression Monkey's Birthday used to describe a mixture of sunshine and rain.

The poor chap in the video did not seem to understand what he was trying to explain - the words IS IT came up so often that I think he is really hoping that someone else will explain it to him.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline mondmagu

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
The video held my attention for about one second,then I switched it off.Did nothing for me at all!! If this is art,I fear the world is coming to an end.

Des

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 102/2 Oldboy Last post August 09, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 189/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx RFELCTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 9/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/1 jinky Last post August 09, 2020, 07:40:00 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 236/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 255/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636736/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM