Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Is this wrong?  (Read 3678 times)

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
Is this wrong?
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
I’ve noticed on another forum (you know the one), in the critique section people have started downloading other peoples shots, doing some different PPing and then reposting saying isn’t that better!! 
As far as I can see the original poster never gave any permission.

Is that just wrong?? or am I missing the point of the critique section?  ???

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Is this wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
I’ve noticed on another forum (you know the one), in the critique section people have started downloading other peoples shots, doing some different PPing and then reposting saying isn’t that better!! 
As far as I can see the original poster never gave any permission.

Is that just wrong?? or am I missing the point of the critique section?  ???

In my opinion it is wrong if permission is not sort first! Apart from breach of © regardless of whether the image is watermarked; Copyright exists.  :beer:

The "I took the liberty of" act, is partly the reason I left a site (beyond those already realised). If the moderators don't police and some members ignore the T&C to apparent applaud  :uglystupid2: situations will always arrive.

Such is life - some folk enjoy that behaviour and shead it onto the streets when youngsters copy the arrogant example from the 18+ year olds? as seen online  :(

The Internet effects us all in the end  :o

I guess when a tot kicks their walking frame away in the time to come, that's when they will awake  :legit:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:39:08 PM by beauxreflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
I agree that if someone starts editing a photo without being asked or asking and getting agreement it is a liberty and have never understood those that have the nerve to do so and post it back expecting praise / thanks. Plain rude for me

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
I guess some folk think it is a "virtual world" on the Internet .

Wait until someone borrows their car and returns it after a bit of Post Processing  :knuppel2:   :2funny:    Same principle!   ;)

The piccy is the property of the tog  :tup:

Now where's the bar :beer:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:02:47 PM by beauxreflets »

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
I've noticed this happening and assumed that permission had been given via a pm perhaps.
To do it off the cuff is to say the least a liberty and at the worst downright rude. The people that are guilty seem to be newcomers, not just to the forum, but to photography and perhaps have no idea that what they are doing is a breach, not just of copyright, but etiquette.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
etiquette ; I'll  :beer: to that  :tup:

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
Unless given permission it is wrong .

Some forums have an ' Edit my photo .... Ask me first ' I always opt for ask me first .

If you cross out ask me first then you are giving them permission. 

Frankly I don't think any one should tamper with any ones' photo except the person who owns it

Or in a Critique forum where you have asked fo help and they show you how then you do it your self. If you take the a copy of the photo they have used for demonstration., you have your self to live with

I don't know the forum you mean
What has happened to my avatar  :'(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:57:36 PM by Beryl »
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »
I’m glad it’s not only me that thinks it’s rude.

Alan, you may be right, they might have asked permission by PM first but if not  >:(
Mike

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
It's wrong and very bad manners. I've noticed that some do it and say they will delete it if requested to do so, but I think you should ask first regardless.  ???

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »
Too many people think they know better
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:17 AM »
Can't say I've followed any of the posts on that "critique section"  Been taking a back seat since they drafted in more moderators.  After over three years of moderating it by myself, I've put myself on stand by. lol..

Could you point me to some example posts in that thread please.  I'll take a look.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »
Could you point me to some example posts in that thread please.  I'll take a look.  ;)

After a quick look here is one I found

http://www.photoradar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5404

All seems very polite though.
Mike

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »
It's the manner and the intentions that decides whether or not it is rude.

To critique a photo for a new photographer by just saying to adjust the curves, and crop it a bit doesn't give the full description of what potential might exist. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

When I was starting out with digital photography all those years ago on the DCM forum, when the world was fuzzy, soft and warm and the 1 star trolling hadn't started, I appreciated such help as I hadn't even begun to play with digital editing. At that point, I was mostly accepting what I could get out of the camera JPG images alone. A few of the more experienced members at the time did just this with some of my shots, and it was an eye opener as to what can be achieved. Obviously, if a good explanation as to how the results were achieved was provided then the learning process was much quicker. (I particularly remember some very helpful assistance from craftysnapper)

So if you post in a critique (loosely translated as "what can I do to improve this image") forum, then some leeway or benefit of the doubt has to be provided to the responders. Otherwise the poster won't fully understand or appreciate what the responder might be suggesting. Of course there are always those that post in such forums that are only expecting smoke to be blown up their sphincters and have their egos pumped - but those are usually quickly identified and ignored.

To do this with a shot from someone's gallery where critiques had not been actively sought is exceptionally poor manners.

I'm always happy to hear another interpretation(*) of my own photos, it's part of the learning process.

In summary: these forums are a form of communication, and all forms of communications are fraught with misunderstandings. People need to offer the benefit of the doubt more often than not.

H.

(*) admittedly, there are some people out there who's opinions mean more to me than others...

Offline spinner

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »
Can't say I've followed any of the posts on that "critique section"  Been taking a back seat since they drafted in more moderators.  After over three years of moderating it by myself, I've put myself on stand by. lol..

They have? You wouldn't know it.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 07:43:47 AM »
What Hugh said - I honestly can't see a problem.

I uploaded a pic to a forum and somebody "kindly" edited it for me.  I got a call from a friend who was almost literally choking with laughter at the edit (not just because it was bad but by chance it was in a style I hate).  But I can't see how it would have annoyed anybody.

As for infringing copyright.  Yeah, whatever.... ;)  IMO there's such a huge difference between somebody lifting a pic from your site without permission and selling teatowels of it and making an artistic edit in a critique thread that it's silly to call them the same thing.  Kind of like saying that stopping kids wearing offensive T shirts to school is a breach of their human rights.

BTW a mate who's an IP lawyer says we all need to stop talking about "breaches" of copyright.  It's an infringement.  And apparently the legal difference is h-u-g-e.
It's Guest's round

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 211/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 84/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 237/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636176/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 58/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 198/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 238/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM