POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: My iLife  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
My iLife
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
Getting stuck on the train for ages (gee, thanks misplaced conducting rail at Faversham) yesterday made me suddenly realise how much of my life now revolves around the glory that is Mac :)  Probably other machines could do this but not with such style or at such a cost ;)

Here's how the day was magnified by Johnny Ives toys.

9:00 grabbed the iPad off charge - stupidly I forgot to charge it last night after some serious Angry Birds.  It's showing 47% battery.  Put on a suit (!) and head to London with only iPad and iPhone for company.

9:30 Jump on train.  Spend the next 80 minutes pretty evenly split between calls to friends and work contacts and watching Peep Show.

10:50 Arrive St P's, get coffee and wait for friend who is late.  Catch up on Chase Jarvis' blog via Reeder.

11:10 Friend arrives.  Coffee, chat, pictures.  Check tube route for client meeting on iPhone and double check location on A-Z (iPhone).  Discuss some lighting on Neil van Niekirk's pics on iPad.

Lunch.

12:30 head off to Sloaneland.  Music on the way thanks to iPhone.  Quick game of Angry Birds on tube.

1:15 Hit street level, use iPhone to navigate to very posh cake shop.

1:30 Phone event planner who is running late.  Tweet pics of cake shop to bragg about what posh people I know.

1:45 Meeting at cake shop - on iPad pull up timetable and scans of contract for job we are discussing.  Show some ideas on Moodboard Pro.

2:30 Head with planner to client's house.  Google satnav all the way.

2:30 - 3:00  Walk round house.  Use iPhone camera for recce pics, iPhone light meter to check light and Sunseeker to check where sun will be during event.  Arrange for furniture to be moved due to sun's position and abandon one cool looking shot for same reason.

3:00 sit down with client.  Bombshell "did you bring your portfolio?"  Um, no, you've already booked and paid.  Slide over iPad.  Client checks 3 pics and books more work next week and ongoing project (she'd wanted to see different work from what she'd already seen).

3:30 Check out gardens.  Google maps, Sunseeker, pics.

4:00 Find pub (yay Google!)

5:00 several phone calls.

5:30 head over to St P's.  Use iPhone to pick up email (one urgent call), check shop website for opening times and check tube status.

6:20 run to shop that closes at 6:30 - Google maps find me the fastest route and I get there at 6:28.

6:40 back to St P's.  Trains fubarred.  Log into national rail database to find alternatives.  Call wife who is stuck at Dover and advise options based on real time rail info.

7:00 get train.  Several calls and catch up toe Joe McNally, Neil van N, Chase and a few others on iPad.  Send a couple of urgent emails.

8:30 arrive home.  iPhone is showing about 75% charge - iPad down to 30ish.

Set alarm for early start to do it all over again.....

What do you do with yours?

And before you ask....the job I booked in the 3:00 meeting thanks to the iPad will more than pay for the iPad ;)

It's Guest's round

Offline Malcolm1938

Re: My iLife
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
How did we ever manage before?

I dont have an I item in my life but then I'm not as busy as you and less wealthy too.

Jonathan - it works for you - just keep on doing it.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
Getting stuck on the train for ages (gee, thanks misplaced conducting rail at Faversham) yesterday made me suddenly realise how much of my life now revolves around the glory that is Mac :)  Probably other machines could do this but not with such style or at such a cost ;)

Here's how the day was magnified by Johnny Ives toys.

9:00 grabbed the iPad off charge - stupidly I forgot to charge it last night after some serious Angry Birds.  It's showing 47% battery.  Put on a suit (!) and head to London with only iPad and iPhone for company.

9:30 Jump on train.  Spend the next 80 minutes pretty evenly split between calls to friends and work contacts and watching Peep Show.

10:50 Arrive St P's, get coffee and wait for friend who is late.  Catch up on Chase Jarvis' blog via Reeder.

11:10 Friend arrives.  Coffee, chat, pictures.  Check tube route for client meeting on iPhone and double check location on A-Z (iPhone).  Discuss some lighting on Neil van Niekirk's pics on iPad.

Lunch.

12:30 head off to Sloaneland.  Music on the way thanks to iPhone.  Quick game of Angry Birds on tube.

1:15 Hit street level, use iPhone to navigate to very posh cake shop.

1:30 Phone event planner who is running late.  Tweet pics of cake shop to bragg about what posh people I know.

1:45 Meeting at cake shop - on iPad pull up timetable and scans of contract for job we are discussing.  Show some ideas on Moodboard Pro.

2:30 Head with planner to client's house.  Google satnav all the way.

2:30 - 3:00  Walk round house.  Use iPhone camera for recce pics, iPhone light meter to check light and Sunseeker to check where sun will be during event.  Arrange for furniture to be moved due to sun's position and abandon one cool looking shot for same reason.

3:00 sit down with client.  Bombshell "did you bring your portfolio?"  Um, no, you've already booked and paid.  Slide over iPad.  Client checks 3 pics and books more work next week and ongoing project (she'd wanted to see different work from what she'd already seen).

3:30 Check out gardens.  Google maps, Sunseeker, pics.

4:00 Find pub (yay Google!)

5:00 several phone calls.

5:30 head over to St P's.  Use iPhone to pick up email (one urgent call), check shop website for opening times and check tube status.

6:20 run to shop that closes at 6:30 - Google maps find me the fastest route and I get there at 6:28.

6:40 back to St P's.  Trains fubarred.  Log into national rail database to find alternatives.  Call wife who is stuck at Dover and advise options based on real time rail info.

7:00 get train.  Several calls and catch up toe Joe McNally, Neil van N, Chase and a few others on iPad.  Send a couple of urgent emails.

8:30 arrive home.  iPhone is showing about 75% charge - iPad down to 30ish.

Set alarm for early start to do it all over again.....

What do you do with yours?

And before you ask....the job I booked in the 3:00 meeting thanks to the iPad will more than pay for the iPad ;)

Sounds as though it's more like your round than mine Jonathan  :2funny:  :beer:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »
   Well that's just uncany! :o

I had a very similar day.

Get on bike , pedal to work.

7.55    Arrive at work, make coffee (Aldi.)

8.02    Take brain out and place in bucket provided, start work.

4.15     Stop work, retrieve brain and refit.

4.30     Get on bike, go home.

Graham.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
Well Jonathan, for you these devices are not only fun to have and use, but also very productive.

I have seen an iPad in a shop, but don't know anyone who has one. I also once met someone who had an iPhone.

But I wouldn't swap my chainsaw for either of them. Actually I might swap my old chainsaw for an iPad so I could sell it and buy a new Husqvana or Stihl :)

Although the 8 tonne log splitter is definitely staying, it cost more than an iThingy*.  ;)

* and to judge by how hard is is to drag house guests away from it once they start splitting logs, it might just be more fun too  :legit:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:58:35 PM by Tringle WP »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
Well Jonathan, for you these devices are not only fun to have and use, but also very productive.

I have seen an iPad in a shop, but don't know anyone who has one. I also once met someone who had an iPhone.

But I wouldn't swap my chainsaw for either of them. Actually I might swap my old chainsaw for an iPad so I could sell it and buy a new Husqvana or Stihl :)

Although the 8 tonne log splitter is definitely staying, it cost more than an iThingy*.  ;)

* and to judge by how hard is is to drag house guests away from it once they start splitting logs, it might just be more fun too  :legit:

Whenever wifey and I are out looking for a new car (Every couple of years.) If said wifey gets bored of salesman's pitch she'll say something along the lines of "Yes that's all very well, but how much wood can you get in it?"

Sorry about the mild thread hijack.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
Spent most of the day in the garden being bored by my neighbour with yesterday's events when his cat got stuck up the tree and the fire brigade refused to turn out to get it down.

I failed to mention to him that I had hit it with a well aimed seed potato when I caught it crapping in the flower bed, from there it climbed a rather large oak at the speed of an excocet.

I know it is of very little interest to you all, but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. ::)

Bring back ASDEW he used to lead a really exciting life at Iceland! :tup:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:15:39 PM by ABERS »

Offline krennon

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
Woke up
Got up
SSS (s**t, Shower, Shave)
Got Dressed
went downstairs
made coffee
watched breakfast news
opened door
closed door
locked door
walked to car
unlocked
got in car
drove to work
parked car
locked car
walked to desk
logged on
worked
went to lunch
came back
logged back on
did more work
going home in 10 mins

;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
06:00 woken up by my w iFe's iPhone
06:10 kicked w iFe out of bed and sent to bathroom whilst iRolled back over
06:30 iWoke up again and got up
07:15 iDrove to work taking the w iFe's iPad and m iPhone
08:15 M iTrain got in late so i started work a bit late
09:30 Took a phone call on the iPhone whilst i worked away on the iPad - Pages for iPad is really very good
12:00 Head home to see m iDoctor
14:00 Set to work on iMac using  M iCrosoft Word for the Mac
16:00 iCan't remember what happened after that - becuase iCouldn't be bothered  :D

To be honest, joking aside, the iPhone and iPad really are ideal for a photographer or some one in a similarly mobile vocation.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:54:33 PM by picsfor »

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 12:27:37 AM »

JUST ONE?

lol 5/6 people on my course have iPhones, inc me. They are very handy...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 07:33:36 AM »

JUST ONE?

lol 5/6 people on my course have iPhones, inc me. They are very handy...

I obviously don't have money, inclination or the rich friends you do :) Most people I know do have smart 'phones, but rather than brick sized iPhones they tend to have much more portable Android models from HTC and Samsung.  The main thing though is that gadgets don't have the same cachet for the French, they'd rather buy a decent Bordeaux. And, of course it is often quite sunny here meaning that colour touch screen displays are really only any good indoors.

Personally I can't for the life of me see how you can cut an oak tree down with a i anything. It's all about personal needs in the end.  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:24:33 AM »
I'm no too sure what 'i' things are, but they must be the things that I see people looking at and playing with when I'm on the train to Waterloo.

I did actually buy a phone last week after constant teasing by my youngest grandson about the one I had. When I went into the shop to ask for advice about a pay-as-you-go phone from the heavily facially pierced and studded young lady lurking in the back of the shop, which gave me quite a start when she emerged from the gloom. It became very difficult to explain that all I wanted to do was ring my wife occasionally to let her know to get the kettle on as I was on my way home. She didn't, or couldn't understand that I see my friends and relatives on a regular basis and had no need to keep them constantly up to date with my activities, nor theirs with me, after all, we'd have nothing to talk about when we did meet.

She tried to explain that I would look cool with a Raspberry and I would be able to network with people, go on Faecebook and Twitter. I then tried to explain that looking cool is for people that want and desperately seek attention, and networking is a euphemism for pestering. When I mentioned that Faece Book and Twitter were of no interest to me the look on her face made me quite worried that she was about to call for an ambulance, since she thought I'd escaped from some home for the bewildered.

Oh! the phone I ended up with. It cost £9.99 plus £10 of air time which will last me about a year. I think I heard her mutter someting like 'tight git' when she was trying to work out how much change to give me out of a £20 note!

I'm now in the 21st century, because it apparently take pictures.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:35:59 AM by ABERS »

Offline Graham

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
I'm no too sure what 'i' things are, but they must be the things that I see people looking at and playing with when I'm on the train to Waterloo.

I did actually buy a phone last week after constant teasing by my youngest grandson about the one I had. When I went into the shop to ask for advice about a pay-as-you-go phone from the heavily facially pierced and studded young lady lurking in the back of the shop, which gave me quite a start when she emerged from the gloom. It became very difficult to explain that all I wanted to do was ring my wife occasionally to let her know to get the kettle on as I was on my way home. She didn't, or couldn't understand that I see my friends and relatives on a regular basis and had no need to keep them constantly up to date with my activities, nor theirs with me, after all, we'd have nothing to talk about when we did meet.

She tried to explain that I would look cool with a Raspberry and I would be able to network with people, go on Faecebook and Twitter. I then tried to explain that looking cool is for people that want and desperately seek attention, and networking is a euphemism for pestering. When I mentioned that Faece Book and Twitter were of no interest to me the look on her face made me quite worried that she was about to call for an ambulance, since she thought I'd escaped from some home for the bewildered.

Oh! the phone I ended up with. It cost £9.99 plus £10 of air time which will last me about a year. I think I heard her mutter someting like 'tight git' when she was trying to work out how much change to give me out of a £20 note!

I'm now in the 21st century, because it apparently take pictures.

You know Alan when your on form your posts remind me of Bill Bryson, If you've not read any of his books I sugest you try a couple, I think you two would get along just fine. I hope you take this has a huge compliment.

When I bought my current 'phone I put £15.00 "In" it.....Iv'e just checked and Iv'e got £13.20 left, I bought the phone four years ago and I'm not sure but I think it's made of Bakelite.
                            Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline krennon

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
My wife and I have both got blackberrys but only because we got them cheap through Virgin media, think the phones were about £15.00 each and we pay £10.00 a month each for xxxx minutes and texts....which as I am out and about a lot more with work and use my phone more than I ever have done it makes sense....not that I know how to fly it properly but I can make and receive calls, send and receive texts....and maybe one day it will connect to a wifi network so I can send and receive e-mails..... ???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »

There is probably an app for that Alan :)

Your story is not too dissimilar to my last attempt to buy a portable communication device. I asked the troglodyte in the shop if he might have such a thing that had a screen I could actually read in the midday sun. He grunted that he didn't know, presumably on account of inhabiting a world where the thought of actually emerging into daylight was as alien a concept to him as that of personal hygiene.

That was the end of that.

Then we moved on to why the answering service didn't work on my existing 'phone. This is, of course, nothing to do with the actual 'phone. I can switch that on said he, no problem, and he then went through exactly the same process that I had followed myself without success on a number of occasions. Triumphant, he announced that the service was now in operation, and, with a barely disguised look of disgust, pointed out that it had previously been activated. So I got him to call my number - no message service, except for the message telling him to dial xxxx to activate the service. What I knew and he didn't know I knew, was that when xxxx was dialed the message there was 'this service is already activated'. There is something deeply satisfying about watching a shop assistant with a superiority complex searching desperately for the corner of the barrel he had found himself in.

I let him try it twice more before I went to buy a prawn sandwich.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 123/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 174/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 220/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM