• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 66
  • Total: 66
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Light meter

Started by rksmith51, April 06, 2011, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rksmith51

Thinking about getting the perfect exposures for wedding shots, is there any merit in using an exposure meter.

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Oldboy

Simple answer - Yes.  ;D

anglefire

Firstly,
QuoteWell, "anglefire" I'm glad you agree Nikon kit is best
I don't think so  ;D Must think I'm  :uglystupid2:

Secondly, yes light meter would be ideal - but I doubt you'll have time to use anything other than the one in the camera already. Yu just need to learn how to compensate for the dresses etc - and do it quickly.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Graham

Quote from: anglefire on April 07, 2011, 07:27:06 AM
Firstly,
QuoteWell, "anglefire" I'm glad you agree Nikon kit is best
I don't think so  ;D Must think I'm  :uglystupid2:

Secondly, yes light meter would be ideal - but I doubt you'll have time to use anything other than the one in the camera already. Yu just need to learn how to compensate for the dresses etc - and do it quickly.
I agree with what Mark said......apart from the Nikon bit, obviously!
                                 Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Weddings way too busy for a light meter, though i'm sure there are occasions when they would be useful.

Would be interesting to see what the guest and resident wedding pro togs have to say on the matter...

Colin

IMHO I wouldn't have time to use one at a wedding for the type of shots that I do. I am not in Jonathon's league only doing about 4 a year. Maybe for some of the posed shots but shooting RAW with a current DSLR I don't find the need.

Jonathan

Would one help?  Probably.  Do I use one?  Not often.

I know the meters in my cameras pretty well so I generally run with matrix metering + or -.  Tricky stuff will get spot or centre.

The meter in the D2 series was very different so I'd be much more likely to use manual.  Hasselblad is almost always manual.

Srsly whatever works for you.  Are you currently struggling with exposure?
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

I'm not struggling with exposure more than anyone else I suppose. I just thought I would run about shaking it in the air and look dead smart  :D, Seriously, I wondered if it removed the worry if you took a reading from the subject location. Like you Jonathan I'm fairly confident in the D3s it meters very well, but with something as important as a wedding its not something I would want to let anyone down with. Bracketing and shooting RAW is great to cover yourself, but you end up with at least 2 raw files from each pose that you may be dumping.

I don't want to spend £150 and just leave it in my bag so may just give it a miss given the comments so far.

picsfor

Got a light meter App on my iPhone - cost nothing and is almost as accurate as the one that comes with my camera...

rksmith51

Yeah, I loaded that one on my phone too but I don't rate it very much, the D3s is far more accurate than that ... as you may expect, but thanks for mentioning it other may find it interesting.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.