SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeWhat annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...Joke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...Uploading

Author Topic: Well that was interesting...  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Well that was interesting...
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
I've never been the easiest person to photograph.  In fact, surprisingly few pictures of me exist :)

But social media being what it is, I needed a new headshot for forums, Twitter, FB, magazines etc.  Last time didn't go well.  I invited not one but 2 professional photographers over for a kind of photography swapmeet.  They spent a couple of hours shooting me in the woods :) then sent me a disk of pics.  Nice stuff - but I looked way too moody in all of them (they had both gone for interesting pics rather than following the brief that, err, I didn't tell them).  So I got my wife to take a snap at the breakfast table.  That's worked for the last year or so - but most people who meet me comment that I'm younger than my picture.  (Out of interest, that makes my wife more published than lots of photographers I know - that shot's been in at least 4 magazines).

So last week I met up with a friend who is really rather a good photographer - I'd picked her because not only do I like her work, we get on very well.  4 hours trecking through London looking for perfect light and to my amazement, she got not one but a bunch of pictures of me that I actually like.  Here's one of my favourites...

I also learnt a lot by watching another professional at work and will be tweaking a couple of things I do based on what I saw ;)

So....if you need a decent headshot then find a photographer you like and get them to do it.  And if you want my recommendation then try Ros.

It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

Re: Well that was interesting...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
It's easier to take photos of someone else than of oneself.  ???

Thought you might have had a shave first, or are you looking for the rugged looks?  ;D

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
Funnily enough, at a recent studio shoot I was at with a few others, I got one of them (Actually the studio owner!) to take a shot or two of me.

I quite liked them too. But then I don't give a monkeys if my picture is taken as I know I'm a handsome brut  :legit:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
Funnily enough, at a recent studio shoot I was at with a few others, I got one of them (Actually the studio owner!) to take a shot or two of me.

I quite liked them too. But then I don't give a monkeys if my picture is taken as I know I'm a handsome brut  :legit:
        So who's that in your avatar? :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
Oh arh, the wife took that in Austria - Saltzburg if I recall correctly
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »

Yeah other people seem to manage like that.  Took me 4 hours and a very talented photographer to get some I liked.... :(
It's Guest's round

Offline Graham

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
  I do quite like the Zen like tranquility of that pic (And I know that makes me sound like an ArtyFart.)
                   Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 309/13 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 113/5 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 184/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 590469/3915 Jediboy Last post March 28, 2020, 02:04:26 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 569646/3891 Oldboy Last post March 27, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
xx Joke of the day General Discussion 95036/351 Jediboy Last post March 24, 2020, 04:14:01 PM