POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: LED RING LIGHTS  (Read 1618 times)

Offline krennon

LED RING LIGHTS
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
Has anybody got any experience of the LED ring lights for macro shots.....I am hoping to get a macro lens soon mainly for just the odd shot here and there so don't want to spend the thick end of £200 for a ring flash....the LED ring lights are about £30.00 and I know the old adage of "you get what you pay for" probably "rings"  :2funny: true here....just wondered if any CCer's had bought one of these and if they are a worthwhile investment or do I stick with the Jessops flash gun...and maybe get a flash cord to use it off camera for about £20.00 (from amazon not the extortionate Sony £65.00 version)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Offline bones615

Re: LED RING LIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »
Never tried a ring light but i have had some success with a home made bracket, 2 yongnuo flash guns & some cheap wireless triggers.
 http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1402.0

Probably around £100 new but you already have 1 flash so knock off £30+.
The first 9 in here where taken using it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bones615/sets/72157622671869621/

I find it ideal, fast shutter speeds, smaller aperture, power adjustable from either side & directional.

Simon
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:55:07 PM by bones615 »

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
  Experience of LED ring lights? No, none whatsoever.
               First thought, you may be ok with a tripod and static (and I mean static) subject, that will allow you to choose your apature to get the DOF your going to want/need.
               If you use some sort of flash with an "Auto" facility you will be able to achieve exposure durations (A bit like shutter speeds.) in the order of 50,000 sec which will freeze the wings of most things you likely to find in your garden.
               So it depends on what you intend taking pics of. If I had use of one I'd be playing with it as an experimental "Portrait" light, maybe outside at dusk and mixing light sources, that kind of thing. As a macro light? I don't think so.
                        Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:48:40 PM »
Seen these Keith?  7dayshop.com do these ones. http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=109451

If you look at the more images link, you'll see you can stack them together in various combinations.  Or put one each side of the camera etc.  That said, they are £20 a throw.

There's also loads of different led torches / camping / work lights etc around now. some you might be able to modify to your needs.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline krennon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys may try the LED stack from 7dayshop (had some good stuff from them in the past) and for £20.00 not the end of the world if it's no good...can always use it as a light in the cupboard if need be.....nice bracket rig Bones....not sure I am engineered enough to make one myself...and would then need a multi flash cable for the Sony which are extortionate...(seem to come in at about £40.00 and that's a bit too much money for the use I'd put it to)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
There is one other possibility I've just thought of HERE

I have one of these and use it sometimes. It's obviously built down to a price and is much more unwieldy than a proper macro flash attachment, but it does work. I use it with my Metz 58AF flashgun - there are various sizes, so if you go for one, ask them first to confirm that the model supplied will fit your current flash.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline krennon

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Thanks for that Howard I might give that a bash it's that or the LED light rig from 7dayshop I think, both are within my price and both are the sort of thing I am looking for....the ring mount may be an issue as I have a Jessops flashgun for the Sony not a genuine Sony one but can't be that different I guess and there's always velcro if necessary.... ;)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
If you measure the flashgun and send them the dimensions they'll let you know which is the correct model.

But as you say there is always velcro, and as long as you can get the flash head to meet the start of the reflector it'll work. It does lose a few stops mind you, although TTL works, of course.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 88/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 184/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 110/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 232/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 69/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594848/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571995/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM