POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Studio Lights  (Read 3304 times)

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
Studio Lights
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
I've bought some studio lights, Interfit 150ex. I've been firing them with the pop up flash on the camera. I've noticed the images look a little underexposed, even when the control is on full. When I use the cord from the camera to the lights, the exposure is much better. Why is this? My settings remain the same on the camera. In fact the control on the lights have to be turned down otherwise they're too bright! Any info would be appreciated.

Nick

Offline bones615

Re: Studio Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
Sounds like your camera is metering for the scene as is, not with 2 extra flashes firing. Have you tried manual settings, 160-200 shutter speed and tweak the aperture or adjust the flashes until it looks right.

Simon

Offline nickt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
I am using manual mode to ensure the settings remain the same. It's just wierd that using the pop-up flash to trigger the lights results in under exposure, but using the cord results in brighter images. All things being equal the exposures should be the same. If anything when the pop-flash is used I would expect them to be brighter as the flash is acting as fill-in. It doesn't make sense as the studio lights are obviously not controlled through ttl and are reducing their output. The settings I've been using are 1/200 at f/8.

Nick

Offline bones615

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »
Sorry Nick, i will go finish the bottle i started. My theory would have caused overexposure as you say.
 :beer:

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »
 My first thought is that it is a "Pre Flash" issue.
    Your pop up flash could be sending out a pre flash to judge the requirements of the main flash. Have/can you set the pop up flash to operate as a trigger only?
    If there's a pre flash, it will be this that fires your studio lights and so they will not be syncronised with your shutter, hence the under-exposure.
    This all happens in milli-seconds and you won't see it happen.
                   Hope that makes sence.
                                                            Graham. :)

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline nickt

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
I've put the camera in both commander mode and manual (set on the lowest output) and to no avail. It's not too much of a problem as I will eventually get wireless triggers, but it's nice to know what is happening. Thanks for your thoughts
Nick

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
If it's under exposed, it sounds as if the external flashes aren't firing? Is it possible something is blocking the light been received by the external units.  ???

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I'd say just use the wire until you get proper wireless triggers.
Sounds like pre-flash is triggering them to me - but I'm not a Nikon shooter, so don't know how that works.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
It does sound as if using the pop up flash as a trigger is resulting in a firing delay. It will only be milliseconds, but seems to be enough to cause a problem.

You say you are using manual settings - what shutter speed are you using? If you haven't already done so, try dropping it to 1/90 or even 1/60 second and see what happens.

And then get onto eBay and order some PT-04Ms (the 'M' bit is important) or if you're feeling a bit more flush a Yongnuo RF602 set up. If millionaire order Pocket Wizards ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
If you are using Nikon`s CLS to fire them it will deffo be because the pre-flash is triggering them. CLS only works with compatible Nikon flashes not third party / studio lights and will not mix with non-Nikon gear.

Another trigger alternative a bit more again than the Yongnou triggers are the Phottix Stratos which have a pass through to allow TTL when using Nikon flashes and an SB800/ 700/ 900 as commander but also have a better build quality and greaty for batteries as they are standard. I use CLS with my sb800 and sb600s but just got some triggers for when in conditions that CLS won`t work (rare) and using other flashes / lights.

Offline nickt

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
I think Jinky has hit the nail on the head. Thanks for your responses. Time to get some triggers!
Nick

Offline Graham

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
I think Jinky has hit the nail on the head.

Ahem.  :P
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline nickt

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
Oh yes, Graham aswell :doh:

Nick

Offline Malcolm1938

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
If this is a pre flash issue you would see the preflash through the viewfinder as it would fire as the mirror was swinging up. On my Olympus I see the pre flash if I am using the pop up flash and to use studio lights I use a wireless trigger that cost about a tenner on ebay. You dont need to spend a fortune to go wireless but you can if you wish.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline jinky

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
You don`t see it using CLS. You`d swear it was going off the same time but the results tell you different. With CLS you just canot mix Nikon / non Nikon flashes / strobes and get a result

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 64/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM