POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 31st Jan. - 6th Feb. "Teeth"  (Read 3079 times)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 31st Jan. - 6th Feb. "Teeth"
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:44:09 PM »
The theme for this week's comp is "Teeth". Hopefully everone will think of a suitable idea. Suggestions: A set of falsers (of course), a human or animal smile, gears in a machine......

Photoshop as little or as much as you like.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 31st Jan 2011 to 23:59 Sunday 6th February 2011 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 7th February 2011.
Poll will be up Tuesday 8th February until Friday 11th February.
Winner to be announced Saturday 12th February.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:46:56 PM by SimonW »

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 31st Jan. - 6th Feb. "Teeth"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »
I see Alan had about the same idea that I did, but he hasn't put it in the entries thread yet. Here's mine, a close up of my trusty Husqvarna chainsaw.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »
yeah, i had this one first

oops, sorry about size :-[

and then today i saw this

Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline SimonW

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
I wanted to try some photoshopping (in Elements) but can't quite get it right. So I don't now plan to enter this one.

Circular Saw

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »
very nice try
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline SimonW

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
Dave, it's a great picture, and good of you to share it with us. But personally I wouldn't enter a photo of someone else's picture in a competition. I can see you haven't entered that one of course, but I thought I'd mention my feelings.

Earlier I put a few tries in my gallery but finally entered one I took this morning, just as a change from the machinery pictures.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »
Well I am in with another food sculpture. Been playing with a few of these recently. Great fun when you can combine mindless whittling with photography. I was trying to do one with a crusty bread roll but hard to cut until it goes stale I have found. Might come in with that one if it`s better in the meantime:

Bite of Fruit Anyone?

skellum

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
Dave, it's a great picture, and good of you to share it with us. But personally I wouldn't enter a photo of someone else's picture in a competition. I can see you haven't entered that one of course, but I thought I'd mention my feelings.

Earlier I put a few tries in my gallery but finally entered one I took this morning, just as a change from the machinery pictures.

Simon

Well I have removed my Tigers picture then noticed Delamanda had entered a picture done by someone else.

Offline SimonW

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
Hi Dave,

Didn't mean to upset you. Your tiger pic was in the chat thread not the entry thread, so it wouldn't have hurt to leave it there. And of course you clearly said it wasn't your painting so no attempt to deceive.

Interesting question about where to draw the line. Is a photo of a wall with street art on it more acceptable than a photo of a painting on canvas?  Not sure I know the answer - but I'd feel happier if the original art was used as a backdrop, or some part of, a photo rather than all of it.

If this topic keeps going maybe it should be in a new thread....

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Delamanda

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »

Interesting question about where to draw the line. Is a photo of a wall with street art on it more acceptable than a photo of a painting on canvas?  Not sure I know the answer - but I'd feel happier if the original art was used as a backdrop, or some part of, a photo rather than all of it.

Simon

Although I often use street art as a backdrop, I take hundreds of pictures (like my avatar) of it in its pure form.  The reason being is that I return to the same places and like to record the way that walls change over time and I like to track various street artists.  The works of art get "crossed" with other tags and additions so quickly, that it represents a brief moment in time to have a pure record of the original. 

I didn't see Dave's Tiger, so can't comment on the "acceptability" of it, but I suspect that in general the main difference is that a painting is protected by the artist's copyright, which is not necessarily the case with street art.  The law is a bit fluffy about graffiti and because it is an illegal activity in the first place, it is questionable as to who owns it - the artist or the owner of the wall.  And once we start talking about councils and photographers' rights, we get into a whole different can of worms ... :legit:

Offline jinky

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »
This was my other thought for " teeth" on the food sculpture vein. Preferred my apple shot in the end but you can have great fun whittling  :)

Bun and a bite of cheese

Did a bit of burning on this one - with my cooks blow torch rather than photoshop  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:37:42 AM by jinky »

Offline SimonW

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
Jinky - I really do like that bun and cheese. Very imaginative.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline jinky

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »
Maybe I`d better switch entries - someone else said they preferred that too  :)

skellum

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »

Simon, It was my intention to enter my " Tigers Teeth " picture into the competition, I had put it in the chat thread for general comment but was not expecting post competition rules/opinions applied to it.
The way I see it is that the competition is usually observation based which is exactly what I did. Unfortunately I mentioned that it was a picture on my wall ( Not a canvas by the way, wish it was )  The picture could of been on a billboard on the street. My point being that I saw the " Tigers teeth " and decided to photographed them for the comp.. As you said I am not out to decieve anyone it was just my interpetation of your theme for this weeks competition which is I believe just a bit of fun.
A similar thing happened with another of my pictures " Tom Finney Splash " on another site. Their argument was that I had photographed someone elses work so no praise for the photographer there. :(   
I have attached both pictures below
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:45:06 PM by Dave »

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »
With the wind we had over the weekend, I was hoping to get a shot of people leaning into the wind so I could use the title, Into the teeth of a gale. It's didn't happen. Went to town on Saturday for four hours and returned Sunday for three odd, but just got a few gusts of wind. Missed the best shot, when a woman's hat blew off and she chased it, and whilst bringing the camera to my eye, a couple came and stood infront of me!  >:(
The worst part was when I set out it was really blowing on both days!  :-[

Went down to Sandwell Valley today and it was blowing a gale!  :-[

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 224/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM