Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Canon Wrist Strap - Velcro  (Read 2193 times)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Canon Wrist Strap - Velcro
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »
The wrist strap on my new Canon Powershot s95 contacted the velcro flap of the jacket pocket it was in, and grabbed on tight. I found it impossible to detach without damaging the strap, which is a very soft woven material. This camera replaced my 8 year old Canon Ixus 400 which lived in the same pocket and never had a problem - its strap is still as good as new. I therefore believe the new strap has a design or manufacturing fault, and so contacted Canon in the hope of getting a replacement strap.

They refused to take any interest, or offer help other than suggest I contact their official repairer and purchase a replacement. I think this is pretty poor service for a brand new £400 rrp camera.

Also, I wonder how many other new Canon models are likely to have this problem....

Simon

(My obvious solution is easy - use the old Ixus strap instead, but that's not the point.)

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Oldboy

Re: Canon Wrist Strap - Velcro
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
Good customer services then!  >:(

Send a email to Canon headquarters addressed to the CEO.  ;D

Offline Skhilled

• Amatuer In Training
  • Still Learning! ;)
    • The Family Gathering
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:50:39 AM »
I've purchased my first Canon (PowerShot SX130 IS) back on October 1. I was really excited about it until I started reading up on it on their website and in the manual. There is a manual on the CD that came with it as well as on their site for reading/downloading. I noticed a lot in inaccurate information and inconsistencies between the manual and website.

I've written an email months ago...2 actually. They've even published a new manual but many of the inaccuracies in it are still there and ALL of them are still on the website. I think my next camera will be something different.  ::)
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
In fairness I should remind anyone reading this that a bit over a year ago I praised Canon's customer support when they repaired my then 7 year old Ixus for free. Perhaps I just caught them on an off-day this time.

Skhilled, I hope you're not disappointed with the camera itself. Although I've always stuck to  Pentax SLRs I've always respected Canon's compacts, and I find I very seldom actually need to refer to the manual because their menu system (even on the quite complex s95) is pretty straightforward. And they do take very good snapshots.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Skhilled

• Amatuer In Training
  • Still Learning! ;)
    • The Family Gathering
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »
In fairness I should remind anyone reading this that a bit over a year ago I praised Canon's customer support when they repaired my then 7 year old Ixus for free. Perhaps I just caught them on an off-day this time.

LOL. I did talk to them over the phone because they posted a firmware update but there were no instructions for it. So, I called and the person I spoke to was very nice and helpful. I should mention that their phone support was really good. However, that is a different department and has nothing to do with the manuals or website. LOL

Skhilled, I hope you're not disappointed with the camera itself. Although I've always stuck to  Pentax SLRs I've always respected Canon's compacts, and I find I very seldom actually need to refer to the manual because their menu system (even on the quite complex s95) is pretty straightforward. And they do take very good snapshots.

Simon

No, I really like the camera. Being new to cameras (manual focusing and all) I found myself going back to the manual to check the settings. My camera is kind of a cross between point and shoot and dslr. It has a lot of the settings of a dslr but no hotshoe and has a fixed lens.

Anyway, it had features that I wasn't used to and when I checked up on it is when I found the problems with the site and manual. I've run different websites for quote a few years so I usually notice things like that right away.

Actually, the camera is great and has been helping me to learn a lot more than I had before. I'm just afraid that if I upgrade to something more expensive that I'll have the same problems. It doesn't instill the best of confidence when these things happen.

I bought the camera cause it only cost me $250US and had the same features as the more expensive ones. I was sort of getting my feet wet before spending more money. But when I go for my next one (more expensive if I have the money, lol) I will take a good look at all models and do more research first. It could possibly be that it was just something with my model with it being new and all. It only came out in August and I bought it Oct 1. I didn't know it was so new or I would not have purchased it without doing more research first. I almost never buy anything when it first comes out. You've got to give them time to work out the bugs, updates, etc. That's with any piece of electronics. LOL
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 198/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635992/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM