POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Thankyou Parliament  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Bigbill

• Gigstills
Thankyou Parliament
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »
Hewwo from ANNOYED Sheffy,,
Caution-this is just a left wing rant,,,,,
My 21 yr old son has recently had his EMA stopped,,,,,now ive already paid out for exams and fees for him,,,,,and he did his first 12 months at college with a promise of a job at the end,,,,,and then the funding for the job went away,,i convinced him to keep his head down and get on with it,,,,,which he did,,,,,and now the removal of his meagre EMA,,,,,he asks me why this should be,,all his mates work at crap jobs but have their own money every week,,,,,he meanwhile has none,except what i manage to give him,,,,,WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT ????
If hes really lucky i can then try to pay his Uni fees for him,,,,,,HOW GOOD IS THIS  ????
Ive kept my personal political leanings to myself here,coz politics can start bad threads,,,,,so please try to not view this as political,,,,,then please outline for me and him what is good about all this !!

Shine On

whats this offside rule all about then Mrs ????

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: Thankyou Parliament
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
Its hard to answer with out being political!

But all I will say is that it is typical Tory. They (as in the politicians) have no idea what it is like to have little money - I don't think many (Any?) of the current crop have actually had to earn any money as they are all married to or are millionaires.

And they believe that you should pay for everything - the current cuts in public spending are nothing other than their beliefs, but dressed up in the need to balance the books.

Don't get me wrong, the books need to be balanced, but they don't have to do it this week!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline spinner

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
Bill, misery loves company. My 31 yr. old son works for our Federal gov't, has for the last 4 yrs. But it's not full time work (full time hours) it's by contract. He's earning just above the poverty line. Has no benefits and no job security. While his supervisors keep promising him full time work our Tory gov't has announced they intend to cut 4500 jobs. My biggest fear now, is that he and his wife end up on my doorstep some time this summer. And like you, I kept encouraging him to stay the course.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »
I printed the first EMA forms when I worked for Capita for a short time.  8)

To be fair to the government, they need to scrap this so they can payout on their expenses!  >:(

When the education secretary, Michael Gove, was interviewed by Education Guardian readers before the general election, he flatly denied that the education maintenance allowance (EMA) was for the chop, saying: "Ed Balls keeps saying that we are committed to scrapping the EMA. I have never said this. We won't." Kept to his word then!  :uglystupid2:

It cost £574,000,000 for the EMA's whereas, Portcullis House is, in fact, an extremely expensive office block for MPs which has cost so much money it is going to be the subject of an inquiry by the National Audit Office (NAO). With a bill of around £235 million - that's more than £1 million for each MP who has been able to secure a room - Portcullis House was bound to be controversial. So it's OK to spend a £1,000,000 per MP but not £1,560 per student to keep them in education.  :knuppel2:

Offline spinner

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »

When the education secretary, Michael Gove, was interviewed by Education Guardian readers before the general election, he flatly denied that the education maintenance allowance (EMA) was for the chop,

Ah, that's what EMA means, I was reluctant to ask. I'm not a U.K. taxpayer, but from my viewpoint, I'd rather pay for young unemployed people to go to school than sit at home on the dole. In fact I'd go a step further and require the people who used this service to enroll in say a 2 yr. enlistment into gov't service to repay the investment, not in money but in time and service.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
I'd rather pay for young unemployed people to go to school than sit at home on the dole.

same here, call it an incentive or call it bribery either way i don't care, £30 a week ( for the poorer of our society) is less than dole/job seekers and in my opinion if it gets the kids off the streets and into a safe learning environment then i'm all for it
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »
I was actually mildly against this when they first announced it - pay kids to go to school??

But all the evidence seems to suggest it works and works well.  If I have it right - you could lose EMA for not doing homework.  Since some low income families depended on it to put food on the table the students were highly motivated both to attend and to do well.  It seems it was actually a very good idea.  And compared to, say, locking up 1% of the recipients remarkably good value.

I was shocked and angered they would cut it just as it was working and making a difference.  But not surprised....
It's Guest's round

Offline Bigbill

• Gigstills
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
Hewwo from SEETHING Sheffy,,
Now then,thanks for all of the above,,,,these young people who are losing EMA have all chosen to do further education,,ie risk not earning now to earn more later,,,and now they are being penalised for it,,,,,look at the choice they had,,,,learn or sign on,,,,,they chose to learn and get £30 pw if they had %100 attendance,,not to mention the cashing in by those employers who had EMA people come in and work 2 or 3 days a week,,,,,,without it costing them anything,,,,,where is the sense in this,,,,,in my day it was those who were being kicked out of steel mills and coalmines who were the dead wood,,,,,now its youths with an appetite for furthering themselves,,,,,,i never EVER thought England would sink to this level,,,,,,my young un now talks of going on Demos and turning London upside down,,,,,is it any wonder why ????? to be honest,,i hope he goes and and manages to avoid geeting nicked !!!!!!

Shine On

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 60/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 269/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM