Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: 40d v450d  (Read 2175 times)

Offline soltek

40d v450d
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
ok to start with i have a oly compact 750 zoom i've had it for years ,i'm coming from a film background. Years ago i had a oly OM2 did some semi pro stuff local football team photos presentations that sort of thing  made a little money from that nothing great, it was for the fun of it you understand.

I lost my interest in photograghy for some years mainly due to affordability of new kit [ frustation ] i think and getting married [thats women for ya ].

Now my interest has been pheonixed [ is that a word] [arise from the ashes] anyway Digital photograghy arrived i got my faith back and boy am i hooked --but  the affordabilty has arrived again .

For the past year i have been looking to buy a digital SLR but which one!!.

As a past olympus camera fan from my old days i thought this is the best camera but with the 4/3 system i'm not sure if there is a future there. i looked at the E500 then along came the E510 nice cameras but--.

I started looking at the Nikons  and i fancied the D80  ,JESSOPS ,playing at the store that sort of thing but again [ the cost ] ..

So to get to my point i was all geared up to buy the canon 450d  i thought bees knees this is something that would last the technolighy  years [sorry spelt wrong] anyway mainly because i dont have the money to upgrade every 2 years or so [ kids at UNI that sort of thing ] but then  i saw the d40 now this is a camera IMO that would last,, so to the Question is the canon 40d better than the 450d or the nikon d80 for price, build , and all round durabilty. big PS i have around about £700 to play with

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
Re: 40d v450d
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:00:25 PM »
OK, talking Canon, as I'm a Canon 30D owner.  ;)

Actual image quality wont (I doubt) be any different between the two models you mentioned, but when you will see a difference is in the build quality.   40D is bigger and has a metal body, controls are also much better to work with.  You need to go handle and play with them in a shop first IMO.

The thing that worries me on your budget, is how much you can spend on the really important bit (the glass) to put on the front of it.   ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Carlj

• Global Moderator
  • Happy to shoot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
Mick's right (there's always a first time for everything!), as glass is important.

For example, the 10mp A200 (better spec than the equivalent D60, iq as good as, or better than the 400D) is £350. Add the best Carl Zeiss lens on the high street, the 16-80mm and the price hits £1000! But the glass will outlast the body!

Be aware that if you want stabilisation, you need specific lenses with both Nikon and Canon, other makes, Sony, Oly and Pentax include it in-body.

David Kilpatrick is running a review of the 450D, and he's found a few niggles/faults with the liveview and AF....not sure if it's the one unit, or a problem with the new model.....

guest4

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:49 PM »
I'd agree. Don't go for Mick's Canon. Look at the Oly E510 or the Samsung GX10 or Pentax K10D for high spec bargains. Although in absolute quality for lwnses I'd go for the Oly, although the rumour mill suggests there will be a big load of new Pentax fit lenses this year.

Offline soltek

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
Never thought of the Pentax i suppose for snobery reasons i wanted the Canon ,nikon , or the oly they seem to be the best cameras [ or should i say known to me, ] .
well i looked at the spec on the k10 and to be honest i maybe persuded to look again, it does seem a nice camera has all the bells and whistles i was looking for. i wish there was a camera hybryd ,ie, the pentprisim of the nikon d80 [nice veiwfinder], the colours and twin lens kit of the oly,510 and, well the Canon d40 right camera too expensive right now.

The pentax does seem to be a tad on the heavy side though, [and a bit of the old Zenit] looking, and the lens kit from what i read is hopeless, i know i can buy the body only but what lens? i'll keep on researching that one.
also read tht the jpegs are a little disapointing but the RAW as read is on par if not better than the nikon d80.

you guys also mentioned that having a good lens is a major factor in obtaining a good photo even on a poor camera, well i now believe that after looking at this site by john isaac http://www.johnisaac.com/ this guy uses a oly e510, [not that the oly is a poor camera]i think with the best lenses though, but have a look,  some fantastic photos. :beer: :D

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 136/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636544/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM