Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: what's good on the market right now?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
what's good on the market right now?
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:19 PM »
I am constantly seeing things when I'm out and about and wishing I had a small compact in my pocket.

I read up on the Leica V-Lux 20 which seems a perfect little camera, but is almost identical to the Panasonic TZ-10 and is 270 euros more expensive. the Panasonic is on offer at the moment at Amazon.
I had a look at the Nikon Coolpix P7000, which would have the advantage of RAW and higher quality at ISO but the auto focus is apparently rubbish.

Any thoughts?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline jinky

Re: what's good on the market right now?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:33:13 AM »
With their joint development agreement you`1ll probably find the Leica is virtually the same as the Panasonic and just charging extra for the badge! I bought one of the older Panasonics TZ5 I think and rarely use it as it is rubbish at higher isos and does not shoot raw. If buying again I`d want raw facility and would look at the best iso performance but as you say delay in autofocusing is a key feature.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »
Take a good look at the Canon Powershot s95.

(I'm told that's what I'm getting for Christmas!)

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
Be interesting to see what you get - I will be looking for a new compact at some point - my old E900 is a bit battered to put it mildly, but at least it has a viewfinder and shoots RAW.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
hmmm ... thanks Simon, I've had a look and it seems OK.

I think it's a mistake to try to compare a compact to a DSLR. I don't really expect to be using it often in low light conditions, if I know I'm going to need this then the D700 would go along with me. If the camera does work well at high ISOs then all the better - in the comments in Amazon for the Canon someone has said that the picture quality is really not good above 400 ISO, which is something I would expect from a compact.
What is good is the possibility to shoot in RAW.

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline SimonW

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
If you already have a decent DSLR, then the most important feature of a compact must be how easy it is to carry about with you ALL the time.  (Either instead of the SLR or as a back-up for it.) After that you can choose between quality/cost depending on what else you might spend your money on. A photo with some noise is certainly better than no photo at all.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline SimonW

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »

Sarasoke,

To see all about the Canon s95 and a couple of rivals read this report:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/

(I've always found DPR useful and accurate.)

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline bones615

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
I have been loking at bridge cameras for taking abroad & found this site useful for reviews http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_fujifilm_finepix_s100fs_5.php

There are hundreds of options, most dont rate the iso ability above 400 due to the smaller sensor. my want list includes raw, good zoom, image stabilization, the raw part is hardest to find in my price range. Panasonics look good, fuji in the right price range but no raw on most models.

Simon

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! I decided to go for the Panasonic TZ-10, which was basically the first one I thought of  ;)

A bridge camera would have been too big for what I wanted, this one is small enough to keep in my pocket. I should arrive any day now!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 135/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636541/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM