Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Worth a look.  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Worth a look.
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:00:12 AM »
In today's Observer Eammon McCabe lists his top ten portraits. It's his choice so there are bound to be disagrreements with it.

If you go to the page

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/dec/05/10-best-photographic-portraits-mccabe

There is a video on Jane Bown, the lady that lead me into photography. By the date it's been there some time but it's the first time I've seen it.

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
Re: Worth a look.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
I would totally agree with the iconic Kray twins shot for first choice but the rest are less impressive, probably because i have never seen them before  :)

Offline spinner

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
I never knew John Lee Hooker was a trekker.  :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline spinner

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
I would totally agree with the iconic Kray twins shot for first choice but the rest are less impressive, probably because i have never seen them before  :)

You've never seen the shell shocked Marine? I supposed being exposed to U.S. news and TV all my life has influenced my choices as I am quite familiar with it. Then again, who are the Krays?
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
Gansgters, Mobsters, Mafia, tsake your pick - sure one of them would give a good idea.

Essentially they "ran" the East End of London in the 60's in a manner that such crime organisations do so.
The strange thing is - there are those who say London would be a safer place if they were still doing business!
Says a lot about the state of law and order in London!

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
    A good varied set of portaits and as Alan points out a personal choice. How do you pick half a dozen portraits without someone saying "How could you miss out......!)
    In the coments section I think SeanDoe makes a valid point.
                                           Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »

You've never seen the shell shocked Marine? I supposed being exposed to U.S. news and TV all my life has influenced my choices as I am quite familiar with it. Then again, who are the Krays?

Agree Spinner about Don McCullin and the shell shocked marine. Those of us who lived through the Vietnam war and read Life magazine, would remember all the fantastic photos produced at the time. We also remember the number of photo journalist killed getting those pictures.  :'(

As for the Krays, who together with the Richardson gang terrorise London in the fifties and sixties.  :(

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:13:43 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 58/2 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:05:53 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 210/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635209/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 180/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM