Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Getting to like my D3S....  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Getting to like my D3S....
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »
Mmm this is a fun camera.

1. Check out my first wedding with it - http://peoplebyryan.com/weddings/a-full-wedding-at-westenhangar-castle Lead shot is at 12,800 ISO.  I'd set lights and stuff up but I just wasn't loving the frame.  I knew this would be a candidate for final shot of the album so needed to look good at double page.  Flash off, ramp the ISO and shoot.  It will need some work for double page but it will be fine.  It looks OK full screen here.

2. The video's more fun than you might think.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjctex3Itxc (click 720 and hit full screen)

It's a month old.  Has only 3K clicks on it (that's gonna change significantly in the next week...) and I'm starting to trust it.  Still need to look more closely at flash sync speed though.  It may need a tweak from Nikon.

But definitely a keeper :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:37:36 AM by Jonathan »

It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

Re: Getting to like my D3S....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:16 AM »
Can't be bad if you rate it after using the Blad. Cracking series of shots JR.  :tup:

Offline rksmith51

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:24 AM »
In my limited experience of this level of kit I think its amazing, the problem is the better the kit you buy your expectations are pushed up and you could find it hard to down grade, its gone beyond taking a good image because most DSLRs will do that, its the facilites and the way it handles and the quality of build. The high ISO capability and taking movie clips extends its appeal.

That's a great wedding album Jonathan, I love the B&W of the bride and groom.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
Question for you Jonathan. Is there any shots that you couldn't have got with any other camera? With the exception of the lead shot?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
Question for you Jonathan. Is there any shots that you couldn't have got with any other camera? With the exception of the lead shot?

Not yet ;)

It's like a new car.  I've pottered around town in it.  Now I'm enjoying the daily drive a little bit more than I did before.  But soon I'll take it on a track and thrash it :)

Have I taken shots with the D3 that I (personally) couldn't take with any other camera?  Loads.  Outrageous high ISO + lightning AF + excellent flash system + every button is exactly where I think it is = I pretty much hit what I aim at.

Not certain if any other camera could do the underwater stuff I did - very low light for autofocus plus some were taken by pool light only.  That's pretty tough conditions.
It's Guest's round

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
 Iv'e not done any gigs yet with the D3s, but the new "Season" is about to begin and Iv'e got artists as diverse as Motorhead and Manic Street Preachers, through Kate Rusby and Elkie Brookes onto
 The Treorcy Male voice Choir and JedWard....(Yes JedWard!)
     I'm looking forward to using settings other than 60th @ f2.8
                     Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline anglefire

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
It's like a new car.  I've pottered around town in it.  Now I'm enjoying the daily drive a little bit more than I did before.  But soon I'll take it on a track and thrash it :)

Oh, I can relate to the Car thing!

I'm just getting used to mine  :tup:

My car, but not my picture (See (C) on the pic!)
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline krennon

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
Cracking set of shots Jonathan....very envious as usual (as I am of your work full stop) ever thought about doing a spot of teaching on the side? There's a lot of keen "rank" (I include myself in this) amateurs who could learn a lot from you.... :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Offline rksmith51

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
Iv'e not done any gigs yet with the D3s, but the new "Season" is about to begin and Iv'e got artists as diverse as Motorhead and Manic Street Preachers, through Kate Rusby and Elkie Brookes onto
 The Treorcy Male voice Choir and JedWard....(Yes JedWard!)
     I'm looking forward to using settings other than 60th @ f2.8
                     Graham. :tup:

I had mine before the end of last seasons rugby, the games started at dusk most of the time and mine was the only camera that was getting anything like usable shots.
These were taken under very poor flood lights, no flash when your shooting sport !, the D3s is king of low light. Others will do this soon I'm sure but for now...............

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:25:42 PM by rksmith51 »

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
Great shots. What was the iso?
Nick

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »
Sorry, just seen the shots on the gallery. Are they straight out of the camera or did you use software to reduce the noise?

Nick

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »
Cracking set of shots Jonathan....very envious as usual (as I am of your work full stop) ever thought about doing a spot of teaching on the side? There's a lot of keen "rank" (I include myself in this) amateurs who could learn a lot from you.... :)

Nobody wants to pay for training any more.

Zack Arias is in London today.  He's charging about £400 for a FULL day of his time (14 - 18 hours) and limiting it to about a dozen people.  There are angry threads all over the internet about "how dare he" charge so much.  5 grand for what will effectively be at least a week's work isn't that much for somebody of his international rep.

@Bob - top shot + B&W = as Zack would say "the bomb"
It's Guest's round

Offline rksmith51

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 08:31:39 AM »
@Nick,  it was at night I used Auto WB so a little WB adjustment but no other adjustments made, its a great camera but then it should be at the price.

Bob

PS I have a few on flickr that you like to look at from the game, http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkspics/4428259758/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:17:44 AM by rksmith51 »

picsfor

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 08:44:43 AM »

Maybe the real quote should be "nobody wants to pay for anything anymore".
It's certainly an observation that seems to be becoming more prevalent in our society...

Offline anglefire

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »

Zack Arias is in London today.  He's charging about £400 for a FULL day of his time (14 - 18 hours) and limiting it to about a dozen people.  There are angry threads all over the internet about "how dare he" charge so much.  5 grand for what will effectively be at least a week's work isn't that much for somebody of his international rep.

@Bob - top shot + B&W = as Zack would say "the bomb"

Yes, people seem to think that the trainer starts work on arrival at the venue - they forget the preparation time. I've done training for work and preparation is everything!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 204/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 75/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636057/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 57/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 196/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM