Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: GRAPHIC TABLETS  (Read 1763 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
GRAPHIC TABLETS
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
Does anyone use these. I have the opportunity to buy one secondhand, but am put off by a couple of mates who find them difficult to use.

Any comments please.

Offline bones615

Re: GRAPHIC TABLETS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
I have a small A5 size cheapy, dont use it much but when you get the hang of it - its much easier than a mouse to draw around things in PS, but thats the only use ive found for it.

Simon

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »
    No I don't use one , but I understand the general consensus is that once you get used to them you never go back to a mouse.
                                     Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline irv_b

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:35:13 PM »
Hi Alan
I sought the advice of one and all about this topic last year and a quick flit through this http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1002.0 may help you
 My son uses his a lot for his graphic work and I have had a play with it but not kept it up but asking him it seems the more you use it the much easier (and quicker) it gets.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
Thanks chaps and the steer to the past thread Irv. Decisions, decisions!! :-\

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
The mouse is for moving sliders, the pen is for everything else.

I started using one when I got 'mouse finger' back in the 90s. I think they are brilliant, but I do appreciate that they are not everyone's cup of tea.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »
I use mine when I'm doing a lot of detailed work in PS - but with two screens, it can be a light pain, cos I've got the pad to just map the one screen, and have all the panels/bridge on the other screen, so have to use the mouse for that.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »
I use mine when I'm doing a lot of detailed work in PS - but with two screens, it can be a light pain, cos I've got the pad to just map the one screen, and have all the panels/bridge on the other screen, so have to use the mouse for that.

If you have them then set one of the buttons on the pad to "display toggle" and set display toggle how you like it.  I can use mine on one screen but if I need tool on the other I hit a button and it maps to both.  Or map to both but swap to one if I need the fine control.
It's Guest's round

skellum

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

I have used a pen / graphics tablet for years now and have it working on both my screens. I thought I had a serious computer problem over the weekend but it turned out to be the graphics tablet ( my second one which is about 4 years old ) so I am back to using a mouse until I find a replacement and it feels very strange.
One thing that is annoying about pen / graphic tablets is when you need to write something down on paper you forget what you have in your hand and vice versa. :legit:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:52:47 AM by Dave »

Offline spinner

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
I have one, but I find the arthritis in my wrist doesn't allow me the fine motor control needed to be any good at it. Of course a young man such as yourself wouldn't have those issues.  :legit: A big clunky mouse works fine.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
[

If you have them then set one of the buttons on the pad to "display toggle" and set display toggle how you like it.  I can use mine on one screen but if I need tool on the other I hit a button and it maps to both.  Or map to both but swap to one if I need the fine control.

Didn't know you could do that  :-[

I'll have a look later - got to go to work now  :legit:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:13:43 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 58/2 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:05:53 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 210/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635214/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 180/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM