POLL - Song Title HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...Anything Goes Poll 4-11th...Anything Goes - Chat Thre...

Author Topic: Local Knowledge  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Carlj

• Global Moderator
  • Happy to shoot
Local Knowledge
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:11 PM »
Thought I'd start a thread on what you'd expect to find, in our local patches! First one is a dual-base, 20 minutes drive apart!

Stoke-on-Trent

Architecture: Industrial heritage that is fast disappearing - the unique bottle kilns are getting rarer each year. Working pottery museum, Gladstone, allows you to shoot both the kilns, and an historic perspective on our industry here. Elsewhere, the city has a mixture of architecture, little that stands out, though Ford Green Hall is a fine example of a black and white Elizabethan manor house.

Landscape: In the city, not a great deal, but with the Peak District on our doorstep, not a great inconvenience!

Wildlife: Now I'm at home! 13 reserves/country parks spread around the city, covering a number of different environments. Park Hall Country Park has gravel/stone workings, with little owls, green woodpeckers in the dug out cliffs and bottom. Summer features a fine display of spotted orchids and meadow flowers. A great number of dragonfly species can be found around the numerous ponds and pools. Trentham Gardens offers one of England's largest heronries. The lakeside walk offers a glimpse of kingfishers, and early morning can reveal otters. Black Fallow Deer occupy the fields and ancient oak at the rear, with a barn owl spotted most evenings and mornings. And then there's the fantastic Monkey Forest.

Stafford.

The county town, is smaller by far, but a lively town too!

Architecture: Some of the best here is the ancient - anglo saxon church on the high street, castle remains, and some tight curving, narrow alleyways.

Landscape: Surrounded by countryside, with Cannock Chase to the south.

Wildlife: Five minutes from the centre of town, I shot a pheasant (not for dinner!) no more than 6 feet away. A further ten minute walk bought us to Doxey Marsh Nature Reserve. Despite today's hail, saw a Marsh Harrier, along with Teal, Redshank and Snipe. Summer should hold plenty of dragonflies - will update, well, when we get some sun!

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
Re: Local Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:14 PM »
where do you live Carl,  Eden?
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline Simple

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:56 AM »
where do you live Carl,  Eden?
Certainly sounds like it. :D :D

Here in North lincolnshire we have a muddy Humber, flat land, steelworks and refineries.  ::)

guest4

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:58:45 PM »
You got a socking great bridge though  :tup:

Offline Simple

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
 :-\ Andy it cost £2.70 one way to cross it. Daylight robbery >:(
There are a couple of nature reserves near the bridge though. :D

Offline Tripod

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:01:21 PM »
Bristol

We've got a socking great bridge. The Clifton Suspension Bridge by Isombard Kingdom Brunel. Recent increase to .50 p. We all thought that was a big jump from .30p but must say that the lights on it has drawn many photographers to have a go at night shots.

Offline Chris P

• pSquared Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »
Guildford

Has a fairly ugly cathedral, an underwhelming castle and it's very own bearded lady. ;)

skellum

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
Preston / Lancashire   This is a link to " Our Location "  on my website   www.skellum-photo.com  ( On the Home page click on Our Location )
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:41:12 PM by skellum ( Dave ) »

Offline pocketwitch

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 05:31:23 PM »
Weardale/Teesdale/Durham

Wow well where to start, quite apart from the castle and cathedral in Durham itself.  There's Brancepeth Castle, Witton Castle, Raby Castle, Barnard Castle, is that the castles covered? 
There's two nature reserves that used to be opencast mining sites, one is Low Barns near Witton le Wear/Witton Park, and also Hundred Acre near Oakenshaw/Willington. 
Hundred Acre is closer to me, I'm often there with the dogs, although with a dane and lurcher in tow, no hands left for the camera unless I drag an unsuspecting mate along! 

I could go on, and on, and on,  :2funny:
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Carol aka Pocketwitch

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 167/3 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2019, 10:57:01 PM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 86/3 jinky Last post September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 809/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 298/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2761/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
xx POLL - School International Weekly Comp Entries 82/0 Jediboy Last post September 03, 2019, 12:02:14 PM
xx School - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 199/4 Jediboy Last post September 02, 2019, 10:39:51 PM