STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Removing CS3 from pc?  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Graham

Removing CS3 from pc?
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
   Ok then. Iv'e loaded CS5 via the upgrade disc, and now I want to remove the old CS3.
               I go to Control Panel-Add or Remove Programes and select Adobe Photoshop CS3, click on Change/Remove.
               I then get an "Adobe Photoshop CS3 installer: System check" widow, with the message "Instillation cannot continue untill the following applications are closed" and then lists Adobe Bridge CS5, asks me to close it down and try again.

a)   I don't want to install it, I want to remove it.
                  b)   Bridge (Nor anything else.) is open.

So how do I remove all traces of previous versions of Bridge and Photoshop?
   On my laptop I succesfully remover CS3 prior to installing CS5.
  Any help gratefully recieved.
                                          Graham. :-\

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Re: Removing CS3 from pc?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:44:06 PM »
OK, little trick Adobe don't tell you.
You can install a clean installation direct from the upgrade disc - it just asks you to put in qualifying disk to validate the install or asks for a licence number off a qualifying package.

Is CS5 in the start up section of the computer? That will cause it to show said message.
You could activate task manager and look for any CS5 processes running and stop them. That should comply with the message request.

Personally i would uninstall CS5, then uninstall CS3 -clean up the hard drive and then perform a clean installation of CS5.

I know, it's a pain but you'll benefit from it in the long run...

Offline Forseti

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »
Bridge is linked to Photoshop so shutting down both these applications is required prior to attempting to remove Photoshop itself. You may also have noticed that you are NOT able to remove Bridge on it's own using Add/Remove demonstrating that both applications are linked.

However, go to the following locations and delete all of the Adobe files and folders:

/Users/You/Library/Application Support

/Users/You/Library/Preferences

/Library/Application Support

/Library/Preferences

This is basically all the uninstaller does. Once you've got rid of all those folders you'll more than likely have to reinstall CS5.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:38:59 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
  Thanks for the replies folks.
                 From what you both say I understand that my "Laptop" method was the correct one. IE remove CS3 and then load CS5.
                 So I should remove CS5 and CS3 from my desktop and then reinstall CS5.
                 As you can probably tell, sitting in front of a computer is not my natural habitat!
                              Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Forseti

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
 IE remove CS3 and then load CS5.

CS3 and CS5 are two separate applications and it's possible to have both installed on your PC. You can't however have both running at the same time as they share common folders. And yes, at this point in time you'll probably save a lot of time in the long run by un-installing everything and starting from scratch.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:23:28 PM »
 IE remove CS3 and then load CS5.

CS3 and CS5 are two separate applications and it's possible to have both installed on your PC. You can't however have both running at the same time as they share common folders. And yes, at this point in time you'll probably save a lot of time in the long run by un-installing everything and starting from scratch.
            Thanks Forseti and Andrew.
                                                 I just removed CS5 and then CS3, then reinstalled CS5.
                                                 All the probs I was having with Bridge no longer exist and CS3 has all gone away!
                                                 Iv'e just got to get used to the new layout now.
                                                                Thanks again. :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
You will. CS5 is great :)

Good luck :tup:
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline Graham

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
You will. CS5 is great :)

Good luck :tup:

Thanks Beryl. I do and it is!
                                           I fogot I had this problem and I solved it by removeing both PS's and reinstalling the one I wanted. However since Beryl has reminded me I think I now know what the original problem was.
                                           I'm prepared to bet that when I was trying to remove CS3, that although it (and bridge.) were shut down Bridge was still showing on XP's "Quick Launch Toolbar"
and theirfore still "Open".
                                                       Graham. :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 27/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 290/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM