Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Scam Call Warning  (Read 1215 times)

Offline krennon

Scam Call Warning
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
Got a call from Microsoft this evening at about 7pm a very nice gentleman called Steve was calling me to tell me that they had checked my IP address and that my computer is infected with malware and that I needed to give them some information so they can remove the malware.

mmmmm interesting thing about this; The telephone no on my caller id was "Unavailable, Steve had the heaviest Indian accent I have ever heard, the last time I worked in the computer industry about 10 years ago I had never ever heard of Microsoft calling customers to inform them a computer was infected with malware (how would they know?), micorsotft don't "remove malware" for nothing, the last time I checked in with microsoft they DO NOT TALK TO END USERS as a rule and if they do you can expect to pay SERIOUS MONEY for the privilege.

I politely declined this gentleman called Steves help, I advised him that I thought this was a totally bogus call and that I would not give them any of my personal information whatsoever, and hung up the phone....

So a warning to all of you and I may be stating the bleeding obvious here but if you receive a call from "Microsoft" telling you you're computer is infected and you need to give them personal info for it to be removed,  it's a complete and utter scam probably to get your personal info to raid your bank account so don't give out your info and even better either tell them you don't actually own a computer or if you want a chuckle tell them you work for Microsoft and ask them which office they're calling from.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Offline Just Dave

• Holidays-Revealed
Re: Scam Call Warning
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:40:01 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Keith,   
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:01:39 AM »
i knew of this scam - i'd just never actually heard of any one who actually received the call.

You are right in your assumptions Keith- Microsoft do not ring people up to advise them of an infection.
But it goes one bit further than that.

For Microsoft (or any one) to ring up and advise that they've discovered you have an infection or malware on your computer would mean that they had been collecting data without your knowledge...
Google are in enough trouble for having collected information in such a manner so i do not think any reputable company would be admitting to such a practice at this moment in time  :tup:

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »
I get calls occasionally saying they "have reports" my PC is running slowly.

"Um, no, it's a quad core fire breathing Mac with 11GB of memory.  I don't think the disk's full cos I have 7TB." usually causes them to hang up.

However, I now have a shortcut.  Gilette razors are giving a free "cheering horn" to celebrate Engerland's brief holiday in SA.  So that's staying by the phone now ;)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:01 AM »
I get calls occasionally saying they "have reports" my PC is running slowly.
"Um, no, it's a quad core fire breathing Mac with 11GB of memory.  I don't think the disk's full cos I have 7TB." usually causes them to hang up.

I'm thinking that you might need to be upgrading to something with 8 or 16 core, 16gb RAM and maybe a full RAID 10 set up with at least 20tB of H/D space.
Anything less would be doing the 'blad' an injustice  :tup: ;)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 198/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635994/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM