• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,515
  • Total Topics: 5,735
  • Online today: 62
  • Online ever: 6,071 (March 12, 2026, 03:28:52 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 33
  • Total: 33
millets
What made you feel good t...Weekly CompetitionsCanon kit to borrow (free...Dreaminess Happy Christmas 2025!NiceVeedi 2-Pack Photogra...DJI Osmo Action 6 Essenti...RØDE Wireless ME Ultra-co...NEEWER Snap On ND Filter ...BRDRC Pocket 3 Camera Bik...Lenovo LOQ | 15.6 inch Fu...DJI Mic 3 (2 TX + 1 RX + ...DJI Mic Mini (2 TX + 1 RX...DJI OSMO Action 5 Pro 4 3...DJI Osmo Action 5 Pro Adv...Post your best shots here

the problem of extreme sunlight

Started by Sarasocke, May 28, 2010, 12:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Extremely bright sunlight is not an ideal condition for photography, but what do you do when there is no choice?

I was taking photographs of a confirmation on Sunday and it was a glorious day. The photos outside the church came out fine, there was quite a bit of shade around.

But ...
The family were insistent on have loads of group photos in every combination in the back garden afterwards. I managed to get everyone out of direct sunlight to stop them squinting, but there was nowhere for me to go. My lense hood was fixed and I could have had someone standing over me with an umbrella.

The family's quite happy with the results, but I'm not.

How do you guys solve this problem?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

picsfor

Yep - agree, flash.

Unfortunately that translates to money - lots of money.

Not sure how you'll get that past Herb  ::) :legit:

Oldboy

Or you could used exposure compensation like -1 or even -2.  ;D

nickt

By underexposing, you'll find the sky and background will be o.k. but the subject won't be. You then have to use fill in flash to balance the exposure.
Nick

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on May 28, 2010, 07:37:19 PM
Or you could used exposure compensation like -1 or even -2.  ;D

It's not about exposure.  It's about contrast.
It's Guest's round

spinner

You have that problem in Britain? :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Sarasocke

Quote from: spinner on May 29, 2010, 12:47:43 PM
You have that problem in Britain? :legit:

My problem was last Sunday here in Germany ;)

I managed to "rescue" the affected photos with a contrast adjustment in NX2, but I was annoyed no end.

Knowing a lot of you guys have professional shoots where the time and place can't be shifted, I thought I'd ask how you cope.
Lense flare popped up its ugly head too  :-[

So, I have one external flash (SB900) and in camera flash. And two lights which would need an electrical connection, so they mostly can't be counted on. I also need a set of filters and a new tripod. Andrew, you're right about the getting it by Herbert bit  8)

I guess I shall have to hope for some bright sunshine and get someone to pose for me while I practice flashing  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

of course - the other option, which would be cheaper in the short term, would be a good reflector.

Unfold it and get some one to hold it for you...

irv_b

My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Just Dave

Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Sarasocke

Thanks Irv !

The problem I had wasn't shadows on the faces, but that the general quality was pretty awful.

Here's two examples :

Converted to jpeg from raw and cropped, otherwise no editing



here edited the best I can, mainly with contrast adjustments



Lense flare, a white plant pot and general bad quality.



In pp I've tried to remove the lense flare, I think that's ok. I've made the plant pot somewhat darker. Not too sure about the crop, whether I should have left in their legs or not.

Philipp's suit was a pin stripe, but on most photos it came out black.



There is a fair amount of noise on the photos, which I've reduced in pp.

In my own defence, I was absolutely shattered. We'd just got back the evening before from Cornwall after a 13 hour trip. I'd slept badly and I had a splitting headache. After the first photo, I should have gone somewhere darker, checked the photo in the display and got someone to shade my camera. At least I might have avoided the lense flare. As it was, I could see nothing because of the sun, and I was just too kn*ckered to move.

Totally unprofessional, I know   :-[
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

so in reality Carol - the problem wasn't the sun.

It was more to do with the 'tog' being short of sleep, knackered, splitting head and generally not really fit to do the job they had signed up for?

We all have those days.

No doubt some one will chip in and say being professional is knowing how to overcome those days.
For me, its on those days when you really on previous experience and operate on auto pilot - and as you haven't had bucket loads of experience yet...

No doubt you have learned loads from the experience - most importantly having a look at the location before the event so you can cover all bases according to weather and any last minute surprises on picture requirements  :tup:

Next time will be a whole lot easier for you  :beer:

Eileen

The links below take you to some helpful advice on managing tricky outdoor light situations. Well worth a read for next time, Carol.

I'm currently revising my flash techniques as this day next week is my cousin's wedding in Kefalonia and I'll be busy snapping away. A good-looking couple, attractive setting, what could possibly go wrong?  ;) Will update you on my return...

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2008/06/13/into-hard-sunlight/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2009/10/25/the-mid-day-sun/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2008/05/11/straight-ahead/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/04/08/balancing-flash-with-ambient-exposure/

Sarasocke

Excellent links, thanks Eileen.

I will certainly experiment as soon as the sun shines again.

At the moment we have rain, rain, rain.  :(
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

This website is proudly hosted on Crocweb Cloud Website Hosting.


Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.