Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: the problem of extreme sunlight  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
the problem of extreme sunlight
« on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
Extremely bright sunlight is not an ideal condition for photography, but what do you do when there is no choice?

I was taking photographs of a confirmation on Sunday and it was a glorious day. The photos outside the church came out fine, there was quite a bit of shade around.

But ...
The family were insistent on have loads of group photos in every combination in the back garden afterwards. I managed to get everyone out of direct sunlight to stop them squinting, but there was nowhere for me to go. My lense hood was fixed and I could have had someone standing over me with an umbrella.

The family's quite happy with the results, but I'm not.

How do you guys solve this problem?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Re: the problem of extreme sunlight
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Flash.  Lots and lots of flash.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
Yep - agree, flash.

Unfortunately that translates to money - lots of money.

Not sure how you'll get that past Herb  ::) :legit:

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »
Or you could used exposure compensation like -1 or even -2.  ;D

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:21:09 PM »
By underexposing, you'll find the sky and background will be o.k. but the subject won't be. You then have to use fill in flash to balance the exposure.
Nick

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
Or you could used exposure compensation like -1 or even -2.  ;D

It's not about exposure.  It's about contrast.
It's Guest's round

Offline spinner

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:47:43 PM »
You have that problem in Britain? :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
You have that problem in Britain? :legit:

My problem was last Sunday here in Germany ;)

I managed to "rescue" the affected photos with a contrast adjustment in NX2, but I was annoyed no end.

Knowing a lot of you guys have professional shoots where the time and place can't be shifted, I thought I'd ask how you cope.
Lense flare popped up its ugly head too  :-[

So, I have one external flash (SB900) and in camera flash. And two lights which would need an electrical connection, so they mostly can't be counted on. I also need a set of filters and a new tripod. Andrew, you're right about the getting it by Herbert bit  8)

I guess I shall have to hope for some bright sunshine and get someone to pose for me while I practice flashing  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
of course - the other option, which would be cheaper in the short term, would be a good reflector.

Unfold it and get some one to hold it for you...

Offline irv_b

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 12:40:32 AM »
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline Just Dave

• Holidays-Revealed
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
Great link irv_b  thanks  :)
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »
Thanks Irv !

The problem I had wasn't shadows on the faces, but that the general quality was pretty awful.

Here's two examples :

Converted to jpeg from raw and cropped, otherwise no editing

here edited the best I can, mainly with contrast adjustments

Lense flare, a white plant pot and general bad quality.

In pp I've tried to remove the lense flare, I think that's ok. I've made the plant pot somewhat darker. Not too sure about the crop, whether I should have left in their legs or not.

Philipp's suit was a pin stripe, but on most photos it came out black.

There is a fair amount of noise on the photos, which I've reduced in pp.

In my own defence, I was absolutely shattered. We'd just got back the evening before from Cornwall after a 13 hour trip. I'd slept badly and I had a splitting headache. After the first photo, I should have gone somewhere darker, checked the photo in the display and got someone to shade my camera. At least I might have avoided the lense flare. As it was, I could see nothing because of the sun, and I was just too kn*ckered to move.

Totally unprofessional, I know   :-[
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
so in reality Carol - the problem wasn't the sun.

It was more to do with the 'tog' being short of sleep, knackered, splitting head and generally not really fit to do the job they had signed up for?

We all have those days.

No doubt some one will chip in and say being professional is knowing how to overcome those days.
For me, its on those days when you really on previous experience and operate on auto pilot - and as you haven't had bucket loads of experience yet...

No doubt you have learned loads from the experience - most importantly having a look at the location before the event so you can cover all bases according to weather and any last minute surprises on picture requirements  :tup:

Next time will be a whole lot easier for you  :beer:

Offline Eileen

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
The links below take you to some helpful advice on managing tricky outdoor light situations. Well worth a read for next time, Carol.

I'm currently revising my flash techniques as this day next week is my cousin's wedding in Kefalonia and I'll be busy snapping away. A good-looking couple, attractive setting, what could possibly go wrong?  ;) Will update you on my return...

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2008/06/13/into-hard-sunlight/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2009/10/25/the-mid-day-sun/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2008/05/11/straight-ahead/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/04/08/balancing-flash-with-ambient-exposure/

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
Excellent links, thanks Eileen.

I will certainly experiment as soon as the sun shines again.

At the moment we have rain, rain, rain.  :(
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 135/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636542/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM