FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...

Author Topic: DVD regions  (Read 993 times)

Offline chris@seary.com

DVD regions
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
When we lived in Australia, we extended our DVD collection somewhat. However, it appears that the latest generation of DVD players will not let me play the items that I legally paid for. Obviously, Sony, Paramount etc will exchange my kosher DVDs for UK region versions (NOT!).

So how do I get around these money grabbing little toads who wish to use software and the law to propagate their business model from the last century?    >:(

What's the best way to view DVDs from other regions? I've seen software for PCs that can unlock the region, but am a little concerned (being an IT security consultant) about installing stuff that I can't find in reviews. What about actual DVD players?

Can anyone give me ideas about how to play my legally purchased items on PC, TV or any other medium?

By the way, if anyone wants to give me a lecture about the value of copyright, and how we all suffer when we break it, I'm not vaguely interested    ;)   I'm perfectly legal, and I'm the one who is suffering     ;D

Cheers

Chris

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
Re: DVD regions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Chris, take a look on the videohelp.com website, you might find a DVD player region hack,

Think this page might be a start, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks  ;)

EDIT:  Oh, forgot to say, use at your own risk.  I don't want to be responsible for cocking up your DVD player.  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:51:40 PM by admin »
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:21 PM »
Me - i'd buy one of those mutli region DVD (or now Blu Ray with up scaling) players that a fully mutli region capable.
I'm in agreement with you re-copyright issues. You've paid your money etc.

As for which one to get - not had a need to get one as yet so haven't researched the matter...

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »
The stupid aspect of the DVD regionalisation is that DVD players are now so cheap (the cost of one or two DVDs) that it's quite cost effective to just buy a DVD player for the regions. Of course this has the downside of having several DVD players to a single TV.

In one of our PCs we've installed two DVD players, one for region 1, the other for region 2. Total cost of the new player was 15 euros.

Of course, you can always get DVD decrypter and burn your own region free backup versions.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »

Of course, you can always get DVD decrypter and burn your own region free backup versions.

Or even DVDFAB decrypter.  ;)

I was thinking along the same lines as you H, but this method would be a bit time consuming depending on how many movies etc.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
RIP them on to an external HD and play them via your TV via the USB port - if you have one of the later TV's!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:28:18 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 23/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:26:56 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 140/1 jinky Last post Today at 10:16:00 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 592875/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571055/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 391/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 177/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM