• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,515
  • Total Topics: 5,735
  • Online today: 109
  • Online ever: 6,071 (March 12, 2026, 03:28:52 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78
  • Google (3)
hohem
What made you feel good t...Weekly CompetitionsCanon kit to borrow (free...Dreaminess Happy Christmas 2025!NiceVeedi 2-Pack Photogra...DJI Osmo Action 6 Essenti...RØDE Wireless ME Ultra-co...NEEWER Snap On ND Filter ...BRDRC Pocket 3 Camera Bik...Lenovo LOQ | 15.6 inch Fu...DJI Mic 3 (2 TX + 1 RX + ...DJI Mic Mini (2 TX + 1 RX...DJI OSMO Action 5 Pro 4 3...DJI Osmo Action 5 Pro Adv...Post your best shots here

Pink Nikon anyone

Started by irv_b, April 02, 2010, 10:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forseti

Quote from: Graham on April 07, 2010, 07:31:56 AM
 
             

              Style is something you either have or you don't! It's in the way you carry yourself, the way you walk etc. It's nothing to do with the clothes you wear.
             

              Fashion , on the other hand, is something so vulgar it has to re-invent itself every fifteen days.
                                           

Well said that man.  :tup:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

ABERS

I've always considered 'cool' as the preogative of the young and immature but now I'm old and immature I think it's cool to walk about looking like an unmade bed. :tup:

Hassleblads may have been cool some 40 years ago but not today, they are just as ostentatious as they have ever been however. Leica for me retains its cool, and perhaps a Rollei.

Now 'TASTE' that another thing.............. ::)

Oldboy

The only time I'm cool is when I'm out photographing wildlife in minus six degrees!  :2funny:

anglefire

Quote from: Oldboy on April 07, 2010, 12:33:21 PM
The only time I'm cool is when I'm out photographing wildlife in minus six degrees!  :2funny:

Well, you should put on a coat. :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3
Canon 1Dx

chris@seary.com

Hmmm............

Based on anglefire's comment about the Landrover, the looks are certainly relevant (even though functionality comes first). I'd say that's the same as the choice of colour for your camera.

As for Leica, the old film jobs are superb. The digital ones have mostly been fairly naff (numerous problems with the sensor, having to remove the baseplate to insert an SD card). However, the latest full frame rangefinder is apparently the bees knees.

The M7? Available in a number of colours:

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/special_editions/m7_hermes/

The orange looks well 'ard to me.

I feel it should be compulsory for Canon telephoto lenses to be in pink, rather than white. Then we'll see how many togs want to show off their expensive lenses.

Oldboy

Quote from: chris@seary.com on April 09, 2010, 08:21:53 PM

I feel it should be compulsory for Canon telephoto lenses to be in pink, rather than white. Then we'll see how many togs want to show off their expensive lenses.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

anglefire

Chris, the colour of my new LR is silver as it happens - but any colour would have been fine - well any standard colour.

As for pink "L" lenses - if that colour is relevant to assist in the performance, then so be it. They are beige for apparently good reasons.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3
Canon 1Dx

chris@seary.com

Quote from: anglefire on April 09, 2010, 10:52:24 PM
They are beige for apparently good reasons.

Errr.............   is there a technical explanation for this?

Quote from: anglefire on April 09, 2010, 10:52:24 PM

As for pink "L" lenses - if that colour is relevant to assist in the performance, then so be it.

Don't think the colour is relevant to the performance, any more than the looks of your LandRover are relevant to its performance. Looks are just an extra, as they have been for cameras for many years now. If your Landrover had the same performance , but looked like a Trabant, would you still buy it?

Functionality is most important, but looks also count. For some, looks count more than functionality. Obviously, Sony owners are primarily focused on practicality, as their cameras have the lines of a bulldog chewing a wasp. God those cameras really fell out of the ugly tree!




ABERS

Strange you should say that Chris, only yesterday, when I had managed to get out for a couple of hours for the first time in many a week, I was sitting waiting for the light to strike a certain part of a hillside when along comes this prat that looked like he had just taken part in a Jessops supermarket sweep event.

Spotting that I was holding a camera he trudged towards me with a cheery grin and said, "Out snapping with the Sony then, ugly little bastards aren't they?" "What sort of pictures do they take?".


"The sort I tell them to take," I replied as cheerily as I could. :)

Mick

Quote from: chris@seary.com on April 10, 2010, 01:20:46 AM


Errr.............   is there a technical explanation for this?

.

As far as I'm aware it's to reduce the heat build up from the sun.  Off white is more reflective than black.  Black absorbs heat like a sponge.   If the lens heats up it can cause all sorts of problems.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

YouTube

chris@seary.com

Quote from: ABERS on April 10, 2010, 09:11:35 AM

"The sort I tell them to take," I replied as cheerily as I could. :)

Alan, your always excellent photographs demonstrate that taking pictures is more important to you than the way the camera looks. Your shots have given me a great deal of inspiration, especially on how to achieve a decent mono conversion. And the article in Digital Camera was great, but it really didn't do justice to your superb body of work.

However, do yourself a favour and get something better looking to shoot with. That Sony looks like a cross between a Zenith and a 1970s Philishave. You're losing lots of cool points    ;)

ABERS

Chris, I've looked into this problem many times, and as I said before somewhere, I've come to the conclusion I really need a couple of new lens caps. The one I've got is really old and uninteresting. I have to get at least one more however. I wonder if that chap from yesterday has retrieved the one I shoved where the sun don't shine! ::)

Hinfrance

Quote from: admin on April 10, 2010, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: chris@seary.com on April 10, 2010, 01:20:46 AM


Errr.............   is there a technical explanation for this?

.

As far as I'm aware it's to reduce the heat build up from the sun.  Off white is more reflective than black.  Black absorbs heat like a sponge.   If the lens heats up it can cause all sorts of problems.

The technical explanation is "marketing".

There is far more difference between a gloss object and a matt one of any colour. A shiny black object will reflect more light than an matt white one.

This is basic physics. Making your big lenses a different colour to everyone else's is all about show. This is basic marketing.

And I like Zenits, even when incorrectly spelled :)

PS Land Rover's body design department is actually at the local primary school, where they have two wooden bricks. A longer oblong one for the bit the wheels go on, and a smaller oblong brick they put on top, line up with the back of the bottom brick, and paint windows on. And of course, because it is designed by five year olds they end up about twice as big as they should be.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

Chris, as Mick illuded, the colour of beige lenses is apparently to do with the heat which affects one of the lens elements due to its composition (Flourite I think). But I suspect that in 99% of situations it makes not a jot of difference and is mostly marketing!

Would I buy a Land Rover that looks like a Trabby? Yes probably - it fits 7 adults in comfort, unlike most 7 seaters which are more like 5 adults + 2 kids at best.

Howard, the design of anything is very subjective. LR's are not the only ones that are basically a squre box - its that way to maximise the space available. As for being twice as big as they need be, see above :)

My defender is actually more like a couple of boxes - at least the Disco has a raked windscreen to reduce the drag!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3
Canon 1Dx

Graham

  Cameras are like shoes. Any colour other than black is contrary to the laws of nature.
                                 Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

This website is proudly hosted on Crocweb Cloud Website Hosting.


Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.