What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: Oh no, the election already!  (Read 1302 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Oh no, the election already!
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »
 News and photography.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog/2010/03/photographer_chosen_as_the_official_election_artis.html

I hope this doesn't descend into what 'motorhome is best for photographers' or 'the pros and cons of the Ackerman steering angles of front wheel drive converted light commercial vehicles' or even ' what is the latest cool accessory for 'togs on the move with under £zillion that will make me look like a pro' ::) ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:57:49 AM by ABERS »

picsfor

Re: Oh no, the election already!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »
What you think the camper van in he picture would be suitable for the needs of a photographer? :o
Pleeeeaaaaaasssssse,
Not nearly new enough and with not nearly enough toys.
Modern camper vans, motor homes (your choice of title) have come along in leaps and bounds since the days of that one, showers, microwaves, H&C Water, Broadband, Sat Nav, Satellite & Digital TV - all capable of running independently from a mains supply or water supply if needed. They have storage for push bikes or mopeds without using some hulking rack attached to the back.

Nope, without a doubt - definitely not suitable enough for a year long home from home.  ;)

Question is, which would work out cheaper after a year - the motor home or the budget hotels and your own car?
Just for you Alan  :tup:

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:14:13 AM »
The thought crossed my mind about the rigidity of the suspension when stood on the roof taking pictures. Not so much camera shake as camera sway. ???

Offline Simple

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:46:09 AM »
I sold this a couple of months ago. A photographers dream.
The wife hated it though, prefers cosy hotels.
Have you noticed that that photographer has the gift of the gab like the politicians he is covering.

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:57 AM »
Hadn't thought of that, though again modern motor homes can come with gas or air suspension which allows them to be tightened up and made more rigid. The other thought that has just crossed my mind is the standing on the roof. Most of these thins do not have strong roofs so I'm guessing that has received a custom upgrade.

Have to be honest, i have thought of getting one of these things for a year and withdrawing from the rat race and traveling around the country. A lovely thought - the freedom of choice, location and all those photographic subjects.
Trouble is i'd need a few hard drives to store it all in!

AS fr gift of the gab - he would not be the first photographer to have the gift of the gab. I recall several threads discussing that very subject on various forums.

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
  I read (well, looked at the words.) right up to where he said "Juxtaposing", one of my favourite "Switch Off" words.
                 Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Cabbyjohn

• CC Regular visitor
    • cabbyjohn483
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/cabbyjohn483/
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »
Do "Elf'n'safety" know that he is standing on that roof without suitable scaffolding surrounding him?

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
I was at Cheltenham on Thursday, and at one point there was a Disco parked nearby with a camera on top of it - I think he just stood still, cos the suspension was standard and it wobbled when he moved!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »
It's well known that Citroen do the best vehicles for using a camera on the roof...

Offline Simple

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »
Yes, Hydro pneumatic suspension! I recall Citroen DS Break with tripod on the roof driving along the racecourse.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 592866/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571043/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 118/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 391/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 176/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 40/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 73/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 230/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM