POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Sony SteadyShot  (Read 1814 times)

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
Sony SteadyShot
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »
I've got the A350 which has image stabilisation (SteadyShot) built in to the body but I've just got myself the sigma 17-70, now this has image stabilisation built into the lens. 

If I have them both switched on am I going to get extra stability or is there going to be a conflict a bit like where you are not supposed to use the SteadyShot when the camera is on a tripod. Any thoughts??

Mike.

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline spinner

Re: Sony SteadyShot
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:02:14 PM »
Since they appear to work on completely different prinicples I'd have to say I think every shot in completely different situations is a crap shoot. IMO. Only experiencing them together is going to answer that.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »
My guess would be one of two things, depending on how the in-body is works.

1. If the in body IS works by comparing the image on a sensor, then both should work together.
2. If the in body IS works on gyros in the body, then they will fight. Turn one or other off.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll give the different options a go and see which works best.
Mike

Offline alan1j

• Catch the light...
    • My Shutterspace
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »
I also use Sony/Minolta.

Although I don't have any lenses with image stability incorporated within the lens it'self. But what I do know is the sensor shift mechanism within the Sony alpha range uses the information that is supplied to it from the lens to work out how much correction/sensor shift is needed with the in camera IS system turned on to allow the said sensor to correct the movement that may occur handheld.
 So if both systems are turned on, IE your camera steady shot system and the Len's base system also, then surely ONE will fight against the other trying to achieve a sharp handheld shot.

The Sony steady shot stabilizer requires the lens focal length and uses this to determine the sensor shift to function as said above
Personally I would think this to be the best way of getting stable sharp shots as this is where the image is recorded.

Bare in mind that when using your camera on a tripod your meant to turn the steadyshot off to get sharp blur free images.
I must admit I'm always forgeting to myself. So maybe the same will be the case with the lens vibration reduction system.
 Obviously as originally said None of my lenses are stabilized so I'm going by the process of why use both. A bit like two north poles on a magnet. They both do the same but react against each other.

Bet now your completely puzzled LOL.. :-\

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »
I also use Sony/Minolta.

Although I don't have any lenses with image stability incorporated within the lens it'self. But what I do know is the sensor shift mechanism within the Sony alpha range uses the information that is supplied to it from the lens to work out how much correction/sensor shift is needed with the in camera IS system turned on to allow the said sensor to correct the movement that may occur handheld.
 So if both systems are turned on, IE your camera steady shot system and the Len's base system also, then surely ONE will fight against the other trying to achieve a sharp handheld shot.

The Sony steady shot stabilizer requires the lens focal length and uses this to determine the sensor shift to function as said above
Personally I would think this to be the best way of getting stable sharp shots as this is where the image is recorded.

Bare in mind that when using your camera on a tripod your meant to turn the steadyshot off to get sharp blur free images.
I must admit I'm always forgeting to myself. So maybe the same will be the case with the lens vibration reduction system.
 Obviously as originally said None of my lenses are stabilized so I'm going by the process of why use both. A bit like two north poles on a magnet. They both do the same but react against each other.

Bet now your completely puzzled LOL.. :-\

Not completely puzzled, slightly.... :)

You've answered with knowledge what my gut feeling was, thanks.
Mike

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 33/0 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 171/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 217/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 57/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 19/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 262/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 264/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM