Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Fancy helping out on a pro shoot?  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Fancy helping out on a pro shoot?
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »
OK, here's one that could be a lot of fun - and it could also be quite scary.

I'm doing a shoot for a bridal jewelry firm.

We have....
1. a stunning location (stately home) - actually it will be one of 2 and we won't know which one for a week or so.  But it's amazing.  And probably in Essex (yeah, I know...)
2. 2 photographers (me and err, somebody else - dunno who - NOT my choice)
3. Several models (probably 4 - 5 on the day)
4. Pro hair and makeup company prepping the girls
5. Pro stylist
6. Top quality bridal frocks
7. POSSIBLY a video crew doing a behind the scenes film for me
8. No budget.  Really this is being put together on zero budget to get PR for all involved.

I need an assistant to hold lights and get shouted at :)

Wanna come see a location fashion shoot and help out?

Here's the bad stuff:
1. No pay :(  We're all bartering favours.
2. No shooting.  Sorry - too many cameras there already - there was a shortlist of "many" photographers wanting to get involved in this.
3. I don't yet have the date - almost certainly last week in March.  Definitely weekday.  Probably all day.
4. I know the 2 locations but don't know which one and aren't allowed to say ATM.  You'll need transport to get to a mystery location in the south east or to me VERY early.

How can you say no....?

It's Guest's round

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
Re: Fancy helping out on a pro shoot?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »
If that bit of water wasn't between us, I'd be there like a shot!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »
I'm interested, it's just a case of being available  :-\

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
why are these things never in Coventry...I know I know Chaventry and all hat, concrete, kinder rough? we have good places too ya know!

This would be good for my course development crud, but alass Can not get there don't think :(, unless very early train there, bah, guess not.
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline jinky

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
If only it was nearer to Leeds and not Leeds Castle I`d jump at it  :(

Offline Sandy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
I would be really interested however with dodgy knees I would not be much help.

Sandy

Offline Al Birmingham

• Everyday is a school day.
    • Al Birmingham Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:06:51 AM »
I can't make this one because I may still be stuck in Norway, but having worked with Jonothan I will say this.

If you are in two minds or think it is a lot of hassle for a lot of hard work, you are right. BUT you will learn so much just by watching him and seeing how things are done it will be totally worth it. People pay good money for courses that will teach you less.
You should see this as a golden opportunity to learn about photography in a high pressure environment.
Al Birmingham

picsfor

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
That is why i have declared an interest subject to work. Essex is round the corner  (8 miles) from the family so it's rather convenient for me as well.

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
I am so envious - wish I lived round the corner, or really anywhere in the UK .....  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline irv_b

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »
I can say yeah, you can count me in as an interested party, as long as you can give me as much notice as poss to book the day off and its not on the 17th (my birthday).  I would love to expierence a pro shoot, I can get there (free diesel ) and pick up someone if they want it too.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »
I can't make this one because I may still be stuck in Norway, but having worked with Jonothan I will say this.

If you are in two minds or think it is a lot of hassle for a lot of hard work, you are right. BUT you will learn so much just by watching him and seeing how things are done it will be totally worth it. People pay good money for courses that will teach you less.
You should see this as a golden opportunity to learn about photography in a high pressure environment.

Aw thanks ;)  So you've forgotten about the really heavy bag that we never actually used then?

Stay tuned guys - looks like the date might be flexing......
It's Guest's round

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »
Aw thanks ;)  So you've forgotten about the really heavy bag that we never actually used then?

Arhh but if you did not take it then you would of wanted to use what ever was in the heavy bag...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline Al Birmingham

• Everyday is a school day.
    • Al Birmingham Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »

Stay tuned guys - looks like the date might be flexing......

I had forgotten, but now you mention it, it was a very heavy bag!
L learned a ton about location shooting, and can honestly say I prefer it to studio work now even with all the challenges that differing light can bring in to the equation.

Seriously guys, you should be fighting each other for this FREE master class.
Al Birmingham

picsfor

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
Seriously - others have been trying to find a way to enjoy the benefits of this offer.
It's just unfortunate that we are unable to meet the flexible nature of the offer.

Had it come after next Friday i could have been in a position to say yeh or neh.
But alas, Irv has got in with a definite and i've no doubt he'll enjoy the day immensely.

Offline irv_b

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
Seriously - others have been trying to find a way to enjoy the benefits of this offer.
It's just unfortunate that we are unable to meet the flexible nature of the offer.

Had it come after next Friday i could have been in a position to say yeh or neh.
But alas, Irv has got in with a definite and i've no doubt he'll enjoy the day immensely.
Hey "its never over till the fat lady sings" Andrew. If the day in question happens to be on a day that I've surveyed a job for then I may not be able to take the time off!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 72/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636050/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 194/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM