SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeWhat annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...Joke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...Uploading

Author Topic: getting paranoid and losing sleep  (Read 1766 times)

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
getting paranoid and losing sleep
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »
since my youngest was born 13 years ago (today) i have taken a picture a month.
Back in the old days when i was using a wind up camera i was just taking body shots and not aim at the face which in hind sight may have been a little better in order to watch her grow.
The problem is that over the years i've had 2 pc crashes, i've lost a disk with photos on and on one occasion lost the photo's on the way back from Max Spielman.
Obviously these things shouldn't happen any more as i upload to the internet on a couple of sites but after all this time taking the shots i still worry that something will happen to them, i guess i'll have to make several copies and put them with different family members for safe keeping, a little extreme maybe but it may help me sleep.

Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
Re: getting paranoid and losing sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »
Well you know what they say.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you! ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »
Alan,

get yourself 2 x EHD's of around the 400-500gb mark, though if you budget can afford those ones at Maplin that Oldboy pointed out of 1Tb in capcity then go with them.
The reality is, it is very rare indeed (not unheard of i know) for 2 separate EHD's to crash simultaneously.
They are easy to back up to being USB or even Firewire if your computer supports it.

You are looking at a budget of around £100- £150 but as is often said - EHD's really are your best value for back up and you are able to check their integrity with ease.
You can even leave one 'off site' round a family members for total safe keeping.

It should be remembered you will still have a copy of your pictures on your computer for easy reference and definitely until they have been backed up to both EHD's.

You could do as i'm doing and get a copy of "The DAM Book" by Peter Krogh (as recommended by Forseti on a similar type of thread) which i am finding a bit of a revelation!

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »
i've just made 2 copies on disk and one will go to my mums house, the i-mac has the EHD (1TB) and they are on the pc as you say, towards the end of last year was the final straw when the pc crashed twice and i lost 3 pictures, thats when i bought the new pc, any excuse really. One things for sure, i won't lose any more.

Online Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »
I know where you are coming from - although my almost complete loss of photographs and negatives predates the rise of digital image storage (at least for me). When we moved to France 10 years ago the removal company managed to lose and destroy a number of things. Amongst which were all but one of my print albums (and that was recent record shots only) and 99% of all the film negatives I had taken in the previous 35 years.

Still they did offer compensation for the loss, and all the other things the lost or destroyed; £50 for the lot. I told them where they could shove it.

So now I back up to DVD which I store in the fireproof safe, to an EHD and to flckr. Hopefully that should do it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
and make sure you print out the best ones...several copies.

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
that's the thing, when it was film fair enough i had to wait untill the roll had been used to get it developed but all of the shots were actually seen as a picure, needless to say that per picture it was vastly more expensive than if you tried to develop all of the photo's you take now, but 90% of the shots are stored either on the pc or to disks and hardly see the light of day, one day i will change this, it may have to wait until i retire but one day :)

Offline Forseti

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
......but 90% of the shots are stored either on the pc or to disks and hardly see the light of day......

I had pretty much the same dilemma/thoughts a couple of years back now and decided to do something about it. I now have printed at least 2 photobooks a year (more if circumstances dictate) - the first, a Landscape album containing what I consider to be my best landscape shots of the year ( approx 90% of my work), and the second album containing more general photographs that are always worth looking at from time to time. Because these are all *special images* I get my photobooks printed by a company in Berlin - myphotobook.de who after a bit of experimentation have found to be the best. They have an English language site www.myphotobook.co.uk although the books are still printed and posted from Berlin and I can highly recommend them. This has been my solution to those images that hardly see the light of day.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
looks like a good site, something has to be done or what's the point of taking the shots?

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
Strange that this has cropped up. I've set myself a daily task this week of reducing the numbers of stored images that have really no place or use on the computer, or anywhere else for that matter.

I started off with 10,300 odd images and after just two days have got that down to 8,500. It took a lot of head scratching, not to decide which to eliminate, but to try and decide why I took them in the first place! :-\ One of the bugbears of digital photography perhaps?

By the end of the week I will hopefully have a portfolio of about 3,000 images, the sort of number that can be easily managed and perhaps provide a sensible supply of images to work on in my old age. ;)

On the occasions that I sally forth with the camera, I am now acutely aware of coming home with batch of images that can easily be reduced to a half a dozen or so, so I won't slip back into making my overall total back up to such high numbers.

picsfor

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
I think my trouble Alan is that for me pictures are history.
You can't get it back! I have none the less cut down on clutter and am currently working towards having 1 good picture instead of 5 or 6 medium or bad ones!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 308/13 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 112/5 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 17/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 182/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 590435/3915 Jediboy Last post March 28, 2020, 02:04:26 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 569642/3891 Oldboy Last post March 27, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
xx Joke of the day General Discussion 95036/351 Jediboy Last post March 24, 2020, 04:14:01 PM