SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeWhat annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...Joke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...Uploading

Author Topic: I can't decide which one is better  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Verb

I can't decide which one is better
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Help!! I can't decide which one I prefer, I'm leaning towards the latter

This one which is edited in Photoshop:

Or this one that I put through photomatix:

Opinions please :)

Offline Forseti

Re: I can't decide which one is better
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
For me the second although I'm sure you could have achieved the same effect in Photoshop.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
You could have achieved the same effect in LR as well as Photoshop.
Given your earlier comments re an angry man - i would go with the second because it conveys a darker and so more menacing perspective.

Offline Verb

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
I know I could have achieved the same effect in LR or Photoshop, it's just I used Photomatix to do it lol  :tup:

Thanks guys  :beer:

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
Just to be awkward, the top head would have looked better on the bottom body.
The top body is too light and dominates the overall scheme of things, and the bottom head loses too much detail detail in the shadows at the left side.

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
   For me, the second one, but I would do a square crop of the top end as I find the gent's cardigan a bit of a distraction.
                Like the pic though.   Graham.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Verb

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »

I think you may be right Graham, thanks

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
Difficult! I agree the original has too much cardigan, but take the square shot with a little more off each side and (ignoring the exposure) you get a perfect passport photo. Probably not the effect you wanted.

I've got three RAW processors - Silkypix came with the camera (Pentax), Paint Shop Pro and Adobe, and they all appear to give differing results. They all do a good job though their tools are quite different, and I can't say I prefer the results from any particular one. I've tried several times, for interest's sake, to reproduce the exact appearance of a photo "developed" in one of them with the same RAW file in one of the others, without success.

If we're voting on the originals my own preference is for the top one because it's slightly lighter.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 308/13 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 112/5 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 17/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 182/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 590440/3915 Jediboy Last post March 28, 2020, 02:04:26 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 569645/3891 Oldboy Last post March 27, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
xx Joke of the day General Discussion 95036/351 Jediboy Last post March 24, 2020, 04:14:01 PM