What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...TIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...Drone Potato Poll 27/06 - 06/07...

Author Topic: Scanning old photos  (Read 3187 times)

Offline oRGie

Scanning old photos
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:50:38 AM »
Last few days I started the process of scanning my old photos. Its taken the last few days just scanning the really old pics I have picked up from before I was taking them myself, pics of me at 3 weeks old lol :)  and now I realise what a job I have undertaken, I have thousands of photos!!!   nearly 30 years worth in fact, lots of memories and from the days of rolls of film and nearly all the shots are keepers for sentimental value. From about 12 years ago when I got my first slr, I noticed the quality got a lot better technically, but I was taking pics of anything and everything, so at least from then each roll only has maybe 25% worth scanning.

Here's me on my mums knee and below my dad looking sharp :)

3 weeks old, according to the note on the back :)

Please feel free to join in here and post really old pics, could be fun  :beer:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:02:47 AM by oRGie »

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: Scanning old photos
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:43:14 AM »
This is a scan of me when I got stuck on a beach in Scotland in about 1983.
I have some other really old ones that I'll find at some point!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »

Me at running age apparently in Bushey Hill near Guildford when it was still a seperate village! Oh it looks so different today! Neil Armstrong had still to be chosen for Apollo 11!

And an early school picture - clearly things had moved on since my Dads box brownie!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:23:46 AM by picsfor »

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »
This says it all really...

Me as a baby

I suspect we've all got pix as old as these in a shoe box somewhere. I wonder how long all your digital images will survive?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
A box of large glass negatives came to light recently - must have been from MY grandmother.

Scan from an old glass negative - spot the gas light.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hybridphotog

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
Please feel free to join in here and post really old pics, could be fun  :beer:
Righto. Here's two from my collection. Looking ready for some mischief...

... and wielding my first SLR, a Zenit E...

Offline Simple

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »
My Great Grandma. Earliest Picture I have. She was born 1845 and died in 1933 her husband was farmer labourer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:02:30 PM by Simple »

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
1937 Abers,
Still got me hair :tup:

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
1937 Abers,
Still got me hair :tup:

Yes, but is it in your ears, nose and eyebrows?  :2funny:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 07:56:08 AM »
This is one from around the 1st World War.

Happy wedding!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline oRGie

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
Great shots :)   Its been a real trip down memory lane for me.  I have a framed pic on my wall from around 1940, but I havent got the original to scan yet  :tup:

Actually WBM yesterday evening - looking at some old family photos from the mid-late 60s and realizing how far cameras and photography have evolved (I as going to say developed), and wondering how/why people used to bother taking family snapshots at all back then. 
I can't recall the make of my father's (120) camera, but I know it only had a dial to set the film speed (which would have been incredibly slow by today's ISO standards), and an aperture selector for sunny or cloudy - the youngsters here will never believe it... 
These days we comment about merits of viewfinders, or complain about the lack of them on so many modern compacts, but looking back at these snaps the optical viewfinders back then must have been poor, and seemed to bear little relevance to the view thru the wide-ish angle lens; if the subject was centre of frame, it was so far away to be difficult to discern who or what was being photographed, and if any effort was made to get closer to the subject it was then invariably part or nearly all out of frame!  I can't remember if the camera had any means to alter focus or if it was fixed focus - either way 95+% of the photos were fuzzy or blurred!

I was thinking similar looking at the photos, but strangely enough the old ones have a certain quality thats sort of expected, the funny thing is the shots from 1975 to 1985 ish are the worst I have, all crappy point and shoots, not untill I got my first slr did things improve dramatically...

Offline Eileen

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 09:42:13 PM »
Great thread. Must look out some of my old pictures sometime soon.
I agree about shots from the 70s and 80s looking particularly bad. I think those old Instamatics and point and shoots had very small and inaccurate viewfinders. One reason I started taking pictures was that my family snaps often had missing heads and limbs because it was hard to frame them properly and I was sure I could do better.

Offline John Doyle2

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »
Eileen:- I agree about shots from the 70s and 80s looking particularly bad. I think those old Instamatics and point and shoots had very small and inaccurate viewfinders.
Most of the cameras had no focusing aid [no built-in rangefinder] No auto focus in those days. So many old snaps suffered from poor focusing too.

Hybridphotog

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
Most of the cameras had no focusing aid [no built-in rangefinder] No auto focus in those days. So many old snaps suffered from poor focusing too.
No disrespect meant, but the lenses for the cheaper end of the photography market weren't exactly pin-sharp (along with most (all?) pre-war lenses). Plus, photographs were dependant on being developed with whatever fine grain developer was available at the time. Then there's what film was being used, the grain varied with this as well.

But, you're right with the poor focussing... although that really was dependant on camera design. For example, I can rely on the focussing of my Leicas (even though the Standard has no rangefinder), whereas the Ensign Ful-Vue has a very dodgy focussing setup (the two I have have turnable focussing lenses, but certainly aren't secure in their mounts).

Offline John Doyle2

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:46:23 AM »
None taken. Sure, the quality of many lenses on the cheaper cameras were not great, aperture and shutter speed, didn’t offer much flexibility too. Processing [developing ] at that time could be an issue as well. Developing was often done by pharmacies, some were good and some not!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 634731/3970 Jediboy Last post Today at 09:43:05 AM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 30/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 19/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 166/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 135/2 jinky Last post July 30, 2020, 12:58:25 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 206/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM
xx TIME OUT. Entry thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 165/3 Oldboy Last post July 27, 2020, 10:17:12 PM
xx Horizons CHAT thread 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 85/1 anglefire Last post July 27, 2020, 08:49:22 PM