What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: LR 3 Beta  (Read 9270 times)

picsfor

Re: LR 3 Beta
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »
excellent news - i'll give that one a try on the iMac  :tup:

Offline birel101

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
Hi, So when LR 3 actually comes out for sale will all my keywords ect be transfer'd from the beta? The beta is the first time i have used LR

picsfor

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »
OK, a few points to note.
The import dialogue box is an enormous improvement over the previous one. Whilst 'familiar' with the last one - this one i felt is much more configurable. i can see me having an import preset configured fairly quickly.
The Watermarking option is an improvement as well, and i've already made 9 preset watermarking presets. Yes - obvious i know but hey, it works for me and i'm only experimenting.
The speed is much quicker than the last version, well it appears to be at the moment, but of course this is how it started last time for me  :-\
The B&W seems as per the previous version, a huge improvement over LR2.6 and it's 'Grey Scale' option.
Files still have that crisper look about them over LR2.6 but i thought the thumbnails were built much quicker than in the previous version.

Haven't tried to export though i did find the configuring of EHD's to be a breeze, even for use as a working drive. The Flickr option worked ok last time so i'll configure it to work and see how it responds later on. If it had a Clickpic option i'd be a happier bunny but you could go on for ever with ideal features! Haven't tried the print option either though i will take Alan's previous comments on board and give it a thrashing.

Well, that was my 15 minute test!

If memory serves, you were instructed to not create any catalogues of substance as these would not be savable to the new version - the same would apply to edits made to pictures. Those upgrading from LR1 or LR2 would get to transfer all their keywords, catalogues etc... 

Offline hssutton

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
I'm highly delighted with the incorporation of tethered shooting, which until this release wasn't possible on a windows 64 bit machine.

Harry

picsfor

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
oh yeah - forgot about that. Noticed it on the import menu.
Gonna have to give it a go!

Offline Forseti

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
This sounds interesting - originally posted by Lee Jay on the LR3 beta forum.

LR3 beta 2 has lens blur tool

I don't think this is in the release notes so let me tell you how it works.  (This is all for PV 2010).***

If you go to the local corrections and apply sharpening from -1 to -50, it'll remove the capture sharpening you've applied in the detail panel.  At -50 and with a mask density at 100, it'll remove it all.  From -51 to -100 the tool becomes a lens blur tool with both radius and strength increasing as you move towards -100.

There are two options to getting more than you can get at -100.  1)  Add some -Clarity too.  2)  Add more pins with more -51 to -100 sharpness and 100% density masks on top of each other.  The effect will get stronger but taper off after a few -100s are all on top of each other.

*** presumably PV 2010 means the new process setting found under Settings > Process.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D :(
Why didn't I think of that? :legit:

skellum

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 12:22:44 AM »

I don't think this is in the release notes so let me tell you how it works.  (This is all for PV 2010).***

If you go to the local corrections and apply sharpening from -1 to -50, it'll remove the capture sharpening you've applied in the detail panel.  At -50 and with a mask density at 100, it'll remove it all.  From -51 to -100 the tool becomes a lens blur tool with both radius and strength increasing as you move towards -100.

There are two options to getting more than you can get at -100.  1)  Add some -Clarity too.  2)  Add more pins with more -51 to -100 sharpness and 100% density masks on top of each other.  The effect will get stronger but taper off after a few -100s are all on top of each other.

*** presumably PV 2010 means the new process setting found under Settings > Process.

No disrespect for your technical knowledge but are we photographers or computer programmers... :2funny:...... :legit:

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:29 AM »
No disrespect for your technical knowledge but are we photographers or computer programmers... :2funny:...... :legit:

Why is it that helpful threads about techie stuff always degenerate into "well, you shouldn't be doing that"?

Cue debate on whether you can create lens blur in a darkroom (which usually makes people think it's OK) by jiggling the flange nurdle on the whatsamatron.  And then an argument about how anyone who uses the flange nurdle should be burnt at the stake because it wasn't introduced until 1937.

Oh and for the record I have more qualifications in computer programming than I do in photography ;)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »
Computer programming is the art of turning an action into a set of instructions for a computer to understand.

So, when you think about taking a photograph just consider how much thought goes into "pressing that button" - you'd be surprised how much technical that action can be.
If you think it is just:
                            point camera at subject, select iso, select aperture, select shutter value, hold camera steady, press button
then i'm afraid you'd be very much mistaken.

We've forgotten to add in selection of lens for shot, camera shake prevention, what is the aim of the shot, do we need to compensate for exposure, do we need a flash gun, do we need more than 1 flash gun, how should the flash guns be configured, have we got focus lock, which focus point should we use, which part of the scene needs to be most in focus - and on it goes.

I expect Jonathan has got a smile on is face reading that and thinking back to the "how to make a cup of tea" exercise they used as an example of what computer programming is all about.

There is no doubt that Abers philosophy of 'ignorance is bliss' covers most areas, but some times, a little bit of techie stuff can go a long way - it's just whether that techie stuff is relevant to you  8)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »

There is no doubt that Abers philosophy of 'ignorance is bliss' covers most areas, but some times, a little bit of techie stuff can go a long way - it's just whether that techie stuff is relevant to you  8)
[/quote]

One day perhaps, one day. I know what it does and how to use it but how it does it is of no interest whatsoever. ???

picsfor

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »

Yes - a lengthy instruction to achieve an effect extremely simply - but i don't know of a simpler way of writing it.
Something Alan might make use of oddly enough

skellum

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
 As far as photography is concerned I would sooner spend more time behind the camera than in front of the computer. I have quite a few electrical & electronics qualifications but my point is that sometimes the computer editing side as much as it is needed can begin to take over..... :legit:

picsfor

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »
Your point is well made for many
For others of course the sitting in from of the computer is as much of the fun as finding and taking the shot.
I think i'm some where in the middle - most of my efforts are geared up to getting the picture right in the first place, with minor tweaks in LR. But some times, i see an image that i know will be processed considerably more, not often but enough to know i will make more use of these tools than yourself.

Myself - i'm just hoping they add the new 'content aware" feature demonstrated in CS5 as part of LR3 - then i could make do with a simpler and cheaper upgrade path!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 591504/3920 jinky Last post April 01, 2020, 07:43:40 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 570350/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 77/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 359/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 150/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 203/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM