What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: LR 3 Beta  (Read 9267 times)

picsfor

Re: LR 3 Beta
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
With LR1 - i couldn't get on with it at all.
I've always been  a fan of the software Canon give away with their cameras used in conjunction with Bridge and Photoshop.
When Jonathan pointed out he benefits of LR2 over LR1 i went and gave it another go.
It was still - as you say awkward but during my experimenting i discovered some nice touches. I went and got the book by Martin Evening who explained much more about it.
I then found myself with plenty of time to really give to learn about LR2 and have finally cracked it.

However, in learning LR2 i have adopted a work flow which has created further problems for which Forseti has recommended another book to help solve those problems.

LR2 has most definitely streamlined my work flow and allowed me to process pictures in a way that works for me. I'm really not a 'layers' sort of person.
Give me a spot removal tool, brush, grad filter and crop tool and i can spend hours on a single picture after first having had fun with the sliders.
I think that i may end up with LR3 because of the improved B&W processing and improved back up facilities but i do not think i will be in the 'must have group'.

As is often said on this site - it really is a case of horses for courses.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »
Well then, reading all about Triangle's love affair with LR,   :2funny: and against my better judgement regarding beta versions, I've gone ahead and installed LR3 beta. I'll give it until 30th April at which time the beta version is supposed to expire to test it for functionality, stability and whether or not the proclaimed enhancements e.g. sharpness etc (but not luminance because that has been disabled in the beta to focus attention on the new colour noise reduction algorithms) are worth the final upgrade. Watch this space as they say.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:03:47 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
It will be interesting to hear/ read your views on it.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
I've now given up on it, at least for the time being. This morning it took over 2 hours to import 5 pictures into the library (I left it running while I went on the school run and did a bit of shopping), and then it crashed again.

To cap it all although I can sign on to the adobe forums using Opera I can't post comments simply because the box to enter text won't select, and if I use Firefox I can't even log in - it says ID and password don't match and when I asked for an ID reminder, even though I was sure I had it right (copied it from the Opera window) I received notification of a completely different ID.

It's just not worth the bother.

Interesting to see your take on how difficult it was for you two to get grips with it. Whilst I appreciate that getting the best out of any tool requires time and practice, I find that even doing the basics with LR is a huge struggle and that is just unacceptable to my way of thinking.

I shall keep dipping into this thread to see how the experts get on with it, however I have learnt one thing for sure. I'm buying Bibble.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
And i can see how Bibble would work for a lot of people.
Were i not entrenched in LR i might have gone with it myself - it is a good package with some nice features in it that are better than LR.

As has so often been said - horses for courses...

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
I think perhaps this is a case of where ignorance is bliss.

I downloaded L/R3, immediately, no hiccoughs or problems.

Moved about 500 pictures into the library, no hiccoughs or problems.

Been playing with the devlop and print sections, no hiccoughs or problems.

Just followed what it said on the tin!

No too sure whether it is worth all the hoo-haa, since I've been working with L/room 2 ever since it was released and am delighted with it so I may stick with it and not upgrade to the 3 version when it becomes available. Early days yet though. :-\

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »
That's funny Alan, because Adobe just sent me an email saying don't judge it on the first public beta release because it is full of bugs and unstable . .  :)

Which, speaking as a beta tester for a somewhat smaller software company, makes me wonder why it has been put out if that is the case.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
That's funny Alan, because Adobe just sent me an email saying don't judge it on the first public beta release because it is full of bugs and unstable . .  :)

Which, speaking as a beta tester for a somewhat smaller software company, makes me wonder why it has been put out if that is the case.

Well as I said Howard, I wouldn't know if it was unstable, whatever that means, it just seems to work OK at present.

I certainly won't be making any comments testwise since I know nothing about such programmes or software! I only know what it does do not what it doesn't.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
LR3beta - first impressions with the caveat that this is based on a 30 minute play (time shortage today sadly). PC specs: XP Pro SP3, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM (only 2.75GB usable probably a limitation of the motherboard I don't really know).

1. I copied and pasted a folder containing 546 unprocessed RAW images from an EHD into a temporary folder on Drive D. Windows indicates the folder to be 6.9GB's in size.
2. Import timed on my watch as being 1 min 25 sec. which I consider very good indeed compared to LR2 - at least on my machine.
3. The resultant catalogue size is indicated as being 4.73MB. Note: this is straight after import, default settings and nothing else done.

Pros: I like the new Import dialogue (sorry Tringle, nothing personal). It's very intuitive, import thumbnails are almost instantaneously shown and I like the ability of adding keywords at import because what you usually put off until tomorrow in fact never gets done at all.
Much requested, and now here, is the ability to append a usable watermark upon Export without the need for additional plug-ins such as LR_Mogrify which I use in LR2. Not only can this be placed anywhere on the image but one is also able to change the opacity. This watermark doesn't appear in the image when viewed in the Library but is available as part of the Export menu which took me a while to figure out.

Cons: Non so far but of course it's early days. One curious thing - a good one minute after closing down LR3beta up popped a Windows message advising that LR3beta is being shut down and do I wish to report this to Microsoft. No explanation for this at all.

I'm reluctant to give advice, especially as concerns things that I have very little knowledge in, but have you perhaps considered starting from scratch Tringle and doing a reinstall of your OS taking it from there. From previous posts it appears that you have such a variety of applications/browsers installed, or at least tested, that it may be that your registry is in a complete mess. I realise that Vista isn't reputed to be good but surely it can't be that bad?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:57:54 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »
I'm well aware that it's unstable - and this is a point that has been made in many a thread on the LR3 forums.
It's one of those things that annoy me about some of the testers - that they expect a fully working release version to play with. (not having a pop, just a general whinge about some of the people on the forums)
It is not, was not and never intended to be.

As has been said this is a huge PR exercise advertising the new version of the product whilst looking at which of the various features will be a selling point, which features are likely to stop some one upgrading and which features need some work to make them refined to the nth degree ready for release in 2010.

As to whether people upgrade or not will be a personal choice but i'm guessing there will be a huge take up once the final release date is advertised and if the reviewers say it has got some must have features requiring upgrading. If that is so - the LR3 Beta will have achieved its purpose.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 02:40:28 PM »
Interesting comments one and all.

My registry is just fine thanks. Regularly maintained and the machine is still running just fine and as fast as it ever has. The only thing I was having a problem with was LR.

Just to reiterate - a public beta should be essentially stable, certainly in so far as the application's basics go. Internal testing is done to get the software to that stage - the last public phase is to make sure that nothing has been missed.

I've just downloaded the Bibble time limited trial. I'm off on the school run now, but I'll let you know how it stacks up for library import speed when I get back.

Later: Bibble first run. 753 full sized images, disk size 10.65gb. Imported to library in 1 minute 18 seconds, full previews built in 6 minutes 3 seconds - being Bibble it was doing both things at once to begin with. Catalogue size is 114mb. The catalogue is on a usb EHD.

Vista HP, Intel Quad, 3mb ram.

And, of course the thumbnails appear immediately. And then when scrolling down through the thumbnails there is no rendering delay as in LR.

The best bit about the interface is the tabbed editing modules, no endlessly scrolling up and down.
And then there are layers . .

Ignore me I'm wittering.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:32:45 PM by Tringle WP »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

picsfor

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »
OK, i have downloaded and re-installed the current build - which is different from my previous build.
All went ok.
I had used a copy of Sandisk Recue Pro to salvage some images that had been deleted in error and left it to search the complete Time Machine back up EHD and copy them to the secondary 1Tb EHD.
This resulted in a catalogue of some 257k+ images. Many were the icons, or help screen etc and can be deleted with ease.
I used LR3 Beta to catalogue these images to so i could delete the rubbish and track down the images i had accidently lost.

OK, first off - when i click ed on 'Import' it spent a couple of hours trying to catalogue my main internal HD. It would not let me select the secondary EHD until it had parsed that internal HD.
It is 1Tb in size and wasted my time - so that's a clear downer for a start.
When i did eventually manage to get the correct EHD selected it than took 24 hours to import, thumbnail and catalogue some 257k+ images. Because they have all arrived in one large folder it is chugging a bit and deleting unwanted images is taking a while. Not the quickest of procedures - but at least we have concrete evidence it can handle a catlaogue of that size without effort.
The delete dialogue box is the same as LR2 so that's ok - nothing new to learn there.
As has been said before - the demosaic software produces slightly crisper images - and the directory side bar on the left seems to be a lot less fussy than last time - well that's my perception.

Well - back to business - i have 257k+ images to sort through and delete etc + 300+ images from the Speakers Corner meet to import and process in LR2.7 so enough of the chat!

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »
I'm not surprised it took a long time to get through so many images.

Having now installed the Bibble trial I think I now know why LR3 fell over. One of the image files is corrupt. Bibble stopped and told me to skip it, so I did. Result 22105 images imported and previews built in less than 4 hours. These are all photographs from 9mp upwards cameras. Catalogue size is 1.7gb.

Good luck Andrew with sorting that many images, don't envy you that one.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Forseti

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »

Well - back to business - i have 257k+ images to sort through and delete etc + 300+ images from the Speakers Corner meet to import and process in LR2.7 so enough of the chat!

Cough  :'( I take it this means that you are more or less committed to upgrading to LR3's final release version   -  and there's me not having upgraded to v2.7 yet?  :2funny: :2funny: . Can we also assume that you are taking Adobe at their word in that you'll be able to Export the beta catalogue into v3 because if past history is anything to go by the final release won't upgrade the beta version - it's a fresh install.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:48:33 PM by Forseti »

picsfor

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
Cough  :'( I take it this means that you are more or less committed to upgrading to LR3's final release version  

Not in the least.

As said - i have acquired this catalogue of some 257k of images on EHD no2.
I need to sort them out into the recovered images i want - and all the chaff that i do not want. So i thought i would use the LR3 beta as the tool to play with during this exercise. I have absolutely no intention of clogging up my main image catalogue and processing software with this - aside.

I've still not found that killer application that is worth the £80+ (approx) for an upgrade. Though it has to be said - i can stand as testament to to the claims that LR can handle catalogue's in the order of 100's of 1000's of images without too much effort. Where it does hit the Mac is when i have LR2 open AND LR3 Beta open - it does cough a little bit but nothing that would really stop me working!

Well, back to it - i have images to upload after having done some quick processing from yesterdays meet  :tup: Can't stop a good Mac doing what i does best - work  ;D :2funny:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 591356/3920 jinky Last post Today at 07:43:40 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 570280/3895 Oldboy Last post Today at 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 71/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 356/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 149/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 23/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 201/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM