STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: AN ANALOGY.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
AN ANALOGY.
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »
Whilst busy working on some print mounting yesterday, I began thinking how photography and angling, as a hobby, are very similar.

Both are a solitary pastime. Both usually mean that you have a particular photographic genre or fish species that you like pursuing the most, although on some days it can be a catch anything situation. You usually have your favourite places to go to 'catch' what you like best. You employ basic techniques but refine them to suit your needs.

When you start angling, like photography, you read all the magazines which allow you and promise you that you will become a great angler/photographer. Complete tosh! ;D

You can accumulate a vast range of equipment which you are convinced will turn you into an accomplished photographer or a specimen fish catcher and which will eventually gather dust on the shelf. Eventually you learn that all the gadgets and gimmicks are no help at all.

I still go fishing occasionally to pursue carp at a lake in Devon and have to chuckle when the really serious anglers turn up. Without doubt you can bet your boots they will have a large wheeled box, about the same size as a wheelie bin, full of tackle and paraphernalia, three or four rods, umbrellas, seats, and even some wear camouflage. They will walk around the bank to talk to you and bore the pants off everyone with long conversations about the latest carbon fibre poles and methods of presenting the bait. They never seem to catch fish of any consequence! Sound familiar photographically?

Having been going there for about five years, initially with a good range of equipment, by looking watching and learning I have discovered that all you need to catch decent fish, 15-20 pounds, is a rod and line a a loaf of crusty bread. The carp have a routine which you need to learn, they patrol the fringes of the lake on a 15 minute time scale, a bit of floated crust and Bob's your uncle.

From this experience I have learned that you don't have to go out loaded down with knapsacks full of lenses, two or three bodies, tripods, monpods, filters, etc.etc.

Like fishing, all you have to do is look and learn.

Can you think of any other analogy that can be applied tp photography?

P.S. You can fib a bit about fishing, with photography you can be asked to show your catches! :-[
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:07:58 PM by ABERS »

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
Re: AN ANOLOGY.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

Having been going there for about five years, initially with a good range of equipment, by looking watching and learning I have discovered that all you need to catch decent fish, 15-20 pounds, is a rod and line a a loaf of crusty bread. The carp have a routine which you need to learn, they patrol the fringes of the lake on a 15 minute time scale, a bit of floated crust and Bob's your uncle.

I have only ever been successful at fishing with a hand grenade :D. Don't have the patience to sit on the cold wet riverbank. Probably says a lot about my photography as well.  :(

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »

I have only ever been successful at fishing with a hand grenade :D. Don't have the patience to sit on the cold wet riverbank. Probably says a lot about my photography as well.  :(

Fine weather only for photography and fishing as far as I'm concerned H.

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:51:43 PM »
Painting is a similar occupation/ hobby to photography or fishing.
Replace magazine with books and the ability to achieve this effect with this type of brush and that type of paint etc. You must have the right paper and the easel - oh you just can't have any old easel or chair to sit on.
In younger days i would sit for hours with paint, pencils and brush.

I had 3 or 4 pencils of different styles 2B, 4B, 2H and 4H i think they were. A set of Poster Water colours and 3 or 4 brushes for wash, detail and the bits in between.

I love to go to art galleries but i hate the boring laborious conversations about styles. Jackson Pollocks was all most of it was!    :-\ :o :( :spam:

Offline Oldboy

Re: AN ANALOGY.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »

P.S. You can fib a bit about fishing, with photography you can be asked to show your catches! :-[

Yes, but like fishing you always take about the one that got away!  :'(

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »

Just like photography - particularly motorsport - never quite the right spot - or looking the wrong way at the right time!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Graham

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »

Just like photography - particularly motorsport - never quite the right spot - or looking the wrong way at the right time!
  Yes, and like any hobby/passtime/whatever,the more you practice, the luckier you become!
                    Graham. ???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »

Yes, and like any hobby/passtime/whatever,the more you practice, the luckier you become!
                    Graham. ???

Not with Birds you don't!!!!  :2funny: :2funny:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »

Graham. ???

Not with Birds you don't!!!!  :2funny: :2funny:

But only the feathered kind  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 171/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 27/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 289/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM