POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Why did you upgrade your Camera Body?  (Read 3693 times)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Why did you upgrade your Camera Body?
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
I'm just having my lunch and was pondering the reason why anyone decides to upgrade their camera body.

I'll start by saying I went to a 5D from a 350D because I wanted a FF body.

And then to the 1DMkIII because I wanted better AF and a higher frame rate.

I actually use the 5D and MkIII probably about the same amount of times, though not actual number of shots, whereas the 350D is hardly used now. Shame because it is still a cracking camera!!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline oRGie

Re: Why did you upgrade your Camera Body?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
Equipment lust :)

Well bit more to the last upgrade for me.. but going back eos500n to fuji to go digital and the then canon dslr was too expensive for me, fuji to 400d to get back to slr (now affordable dslr), 400d to 40d, larger body and other refinments of moving x0D plus the chance to sell the 400d for what I paid for it, 40d to 7d, well the 40d would occasionally corrupt raw images, so my confidence in that body was not 100%, I want to go FF so I decided to sell most of my ef-s lenses and start getting ef instead so next time I'm ready for a new body I can go FF, plus new gadget lust, the wireless transmitter and quite a few of the other benefits of the 7D..  but I have to admit I like a new toy to play with and after a couple of years I get restless and I feel that the 7D is getting real close to what 35mm film was like.

Right now though, I like the 7D so much I think I may keep this for a very long time, start collecting ef lenses and at some point get a FF body and keep the 7D too  :beer:

I love taking photos, but I also love new gadgets, digital photography gives me both :)

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
I went from a 10D to a 50D, which I think speaks for itself. The 10D was given to me by my father in law when he upgraded to his 40D (he's since gone to a 5D) and prior to the 10D I had a Kodak bridge.

The increased speed, screen size, better AF, live view etc in the 50D have all helped me to learn more and try different things.

I have both the 10D and 50D in my bag and use the 10D mainly when shooting macro with some extension tubes. The 50D is pretty much always by my side ready to shoot whenever necessary.

Steve

Offline Forseti

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
Equipment lust :)

LOL - as a fellow sufferer you have my deepest sympathies.  :'(

300D > 30D > 40D and now finally a 7D. That's not to mention the G5 > SX1 IS  :2funny:

Although it crept upon me ever so slowly, I found myself becoming more and more interested in the production of 'presentations' to include both still images as well as short video clips with the G5 providing the latter. With the introduction of the 7D I was able to satisfy capturing both still images of decent quality along with full HD videos (at 24/25p) in one unit. Unless something drastic, and as yet unannounced in future DSLR's happens along, I think the 7D shall satisfy my needs for quite some considerable time to come.

I briefly considered full-frame but dismissed the idea as for me they offer no real great advantage. My widest lens, the 17-40mm (effective FOV 27mm at the widest end) is more than enough even as a predominantly landscape photographer. The only further purchase that I anticipate is a 50mm although I am undecided which particular one at this time and am waiting to see if the rumoured newer version is released in February and what various critics have to say about it.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
Nikon 5700 first digital. Then added a Nikon 7900 with underwater housing for use when scuba diving and snorkelling.
From 5700 to Canon 30D because 5700 was a bridge and had a very slow frame rate - like 1 fps and very poor low light handling.
30D added a 40D as a second body and to cover a wedding or two.
Now only have a single 5D MkII.
Wanted the FF sensor, low light handling of 5D MkII and the 21mp sensor as it gave more room to crop.
At this time all i would really like is a second 5D MkII body because i dislike having just the one body for when i go out on whole day photo shoots.

One thing is for sure - i can find no reason to upgrade to a 1Ds Mk whatever whilst owning the 5DmkII.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »
 Mmm ....upgrade route...this might take some time....... :2funny: :2funny:

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
I started digital some three years ago and as a toe in the water I pruchased a Sony A100.

Some time last year I bought a Sony A700, I don't know why, it just seemed a good idea at the time and it had more buttons on it. ;)

The A700 doesn't allow me to do anything more than I did with A100, It hasn't made my photography better, if it has improved it's down to me not the camera.

The A 100 has now been converted to Infrared.

Offline Nemesis

• CC Regular visitor
    • A Few Snapshots
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
Well as someone who refuses to be swayed by marketing, aspiration or technolust, my digital path over 10 years has been:
Kodak DC240 > Casio QV3500 > Fuji S602 > Canon 300D > Fuji S9600 > Canon G7 > Oly SP590, replaced by Panny FZ28 > Panny G1
Plus the occasional PAS along the line - Oly Mju-mini > Canon A540 > Panny FS42 > Panny FS7

Still have all of them except the Oly SP590.  I have changed or added kit along the way mainly on the basis of improving functionality, features and convenience.  In fact after the 300D I've effectively been aiming at maintaining a feature and functionality set in smaller packages.  I guess the ultimate will be a TARDISCam...  ;)

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
it just seemed a good idea at the time and it had more buttons on it. ;)
more buttons? Might have to get one me self  :tup:
You know - boys with toys and all that

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »
it's something i can't tell you yet as the D300 is my first "proper" camera,
can't imagine what my wife would say (well i probably could guess the words but maybe not the order) if i said i wanted a new body, although she'd probably be ok if it was cosmetic surgery i said i wanted >:(
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline greypoint

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
Well, I know you're supposed to say equipment does'nt matter but trying out different cameras can be part of the fun. Reasons for changing/upgrading - faster processing/bigger buffer/more fps/more mp/better high ISO etc. - plus i can never resist a bargain and there are times when you just can't get the lens you want for the camera you're using.
First DSLR 300D simply because there was a waiting list for the D70 [Nikon never seemed able to keep up with demand] - next 10D which i grew to hate - swapped eventually to a D70 and while that was away being repaired bought a D50 with a Fuji S3Pro as second body when the price dropped dramatically - got a D80 when they came out but was slightly disappointed and returned to Canon with a 30D. Then olympus started to clear their  stock of E-1s - as winter was approaching I got a weatherproof Zuiko 50-200 f2.8/3.5 and E-1 and was able to take pictures in all weathers - just did'nt use the 30D so that went on ebay. After a year of using various Olympus bodies decided to swap for something faster for action stuff again and got a 40D which I kept for nearly a year. With the 40D warranty running out and a lot of shutter activations on it I was going to return to Nikon with a D300. Money restraints came into play and instead I got a Pentax K20D - lovely camera but in the end it was the lack of the right lenses and slower AF system which made me return to Nikon - via a Fuji S5Pro which had not only dropped to about half it's initial price but was subject to a further discount for 2 weeks only - used it for a few months and sold for almost the same price when new ones had become very rare. Got a D90 which I'd still have but a D300 came up in W/E bargain basement at a good price and my friend was in the market to upgrade her old D50 - so she got a D90 with 18 months warranty and I got a new D300.
Must point out I never buy external flashes, battery grips etc. so have never been tied into a system. Usually have no more than 2 or 3 lenses and I try as far a possible to buy lenses second hand. If you buy good lenses they hold their value.

Offline alan1j

• Catch the light...
    • My Shutterspace
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
When first starting out into the digital format from 35mm film I discided to stay with the minolta mount so went for the Sony A100 as this was the obvious route. Minolta having just been brought by sony. Really happy with it's preformance untill I started getting as we all do...

Equipement lust..LOL. So thought an A700 the best solution, better build quality and quite a few more controls above the A100.
Feels and preforms really well. Glad I choose it over the newer A500/A55o as they are moving away from what a camera is for with the live view and other gimmicks like video..More to go wrong in my view.

JUST need some more lenes to finish off the ideal bag of equipement..

Macro lens and a wide angle zoom...So theres another £800 to £1000 I need to save.... ::)

Offline anglefire

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
£800-1000 for a macro AND and wide angle?

The macro lens I'd like (Lust!?) is the new 100mm f2.8 IS L - which is about £750 on its own! The 17-40mm wide I have is now around £600 - though I did get mine from the Canon Ebay site for about £440.

But Sue is right, good lenses hold their valve - with the latest price rises, I suspect I would get back pretty much all my money if I sold my lens collection - and also like Sue, I've bought mostly second hand - only my 24-105 and 60mm macro were new!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline alan1j

• Catch the light...
    • My Shutterspace
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
£800-1000 for a macro AND and wide angle?

The macro lens I'd like (Lust!?) is the new 100mm f2.8 IS L - which is about £750 on its own! The 17-40mm wide I have is now around £600 - though I did get mine from the Canon Ebay site for about £440.

But Sue is right, good lenses hold their valve - with the latest price rises, I suspect I would get back pretty much all my money if I sold my lens collection - and also like Sue, I've bought mostly second hand - only my 24-105 and 60mm macro were new!

Well we aren't all made of money...I am patient and will wait for the lens I want to come down in price. Did that when buying my A700, Saving well over £400, only paying £550 in the end.

Wish list both sigmas..10/20mm wide angle and a 105mm macro.. So my estimate not to far away. NOW if I could get my hand on lots of dosh, well Nikon would be my entire line up...based around the D300, but as the sensor and a few other bits on it come from Sony, why bother, it's just a name...Right ;)

Offline anglefire

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
Alan, neither am I.

The 100mm has come down in price since launch by £100 or so - but its unlikely to come down significantly more.

I am too saving up and waiting until I can afford to buy it - like I have for all my other gear - except the MkIII which I bought interest free from WEX. But the principle is the same!

And there is nothing wrong with the Sony equipment, as you say, they do make many of the other manufactures sensors. It's not my choice of gear - mainly because I have used Canon's for years (35mm A1 and G2 - first digital)- and when I got my first DSLR there wasn't the choice there is today. Interestingly, my last SLR was a Minolta.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 60/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 269/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM