Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: How long does it take to process photos  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
How long does it take to process photos
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »
I was on a shoot yesterday taking pics of two superb Dobermanns and a couple of cats. I had a total of, I think about 180 photos. About a third have already gone the way of the bin. The rest all have to go thru PS - even if they don't need any tweaks (rare ;) ) they still have to be processed as they're RAW.

I was wondering how many photographs you guys wuld take in, say, 3 hours, and how to it would take to process.

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Re: How long does it take to process photos
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
Depends which 3 hours!

When i done the trip to London the other week i took about 60 pictures in 3 hours. Mainly because i only had enough memory for 60 pictures!
Earlier on in the year i got a set of studio lights with backdrop etc and took some pics for step daught for her DJ Portfolio and took about 400 pics in 3 hours.

How long did they take to process?
In both cases i was using Lightroom. The 400 shots were processed most inefficiently and took several hours to go through. The 60 pics were processed in a fairly efficient manner and were completed in about 2 hours - and that included posting on the web.

I've no doubt your wedding togs will do 400 shots and have them on a CD for viewing in about 2 hours - but they have different goals.
As for how many come straight out of the camera without needing any work?  About 1 in every 3-400! 5D MkII is still outclassing my ability >:(

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »
Somehow, I ALWAYS seem to have a backlog. I still have photos from last May which are slumbering in their raw state.

I love taking photos, but I find the PS work tedious, it seems to be a lot of repetition, but doing everything in batch wouldn't work either as they need slightly different tweaks. Then there are the photos where I think, hmmmm would this look better in bw/sepia/whatever.

I tend to get distracted too. PS is humming idly away in the background now as I write this ....  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
I shoot almost exclusively raw, so I have to process all my shots to a degree.

The other week I did a shoot at Mallory Park when I'd taken a couple of thousand shots.

I use bridge and select about 100 shots at a time, and open into RAW, delete the crap, adjust the rest, crop, etc and open into CS4.

I have a number of actions pre-recorded and do a batch convert to add a boarder, sharpen, etc and save to disk. Whole lot took about 4 hours, over a couple of days. Left with about 800 shots.

Did a studio shoot the other week, took about 200 shots, and they took probably 4 hours to process.

So I think its a difficult one to judge - like how longs a piece of string (And if you saw the TV program you'd know how hard that is to judge!)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »
I shoot everything in raw so all need some form of processing.
I use 98% capture NX and 2% Photoshop. I find NX quick to use and get better colour results than any other software.
how long does it take is a trickee question it really depends on how much needs changing in each shot and too many changes can overcook the final result.
i would say that each shot gets at least 1 minute of changes and max of 4 minutes when doing trial and error. This time would be halved if i had an all singing and dancing system :tup: Capture NX is a great piece of software but needs a major fix by its software writers as it is very system resource demanding. :(

Offline Simple

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »
I use lightroom mostly. First I rate all the pictures, and discard the failures. I than take little time on the 1 and 2 stars, about 2-3 minutes on the 3 and 4 stars and as long as it needs on the 5 stars, but because they are 5 stars not often more than 5 minutes. The 5 stars are also taken into PS. I use loads of presets in LR and actions and preloaded curves in PS.

Offline magicrhodes

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
A beginners question asked because I shoot in RAW+Basic (for Facebook) and due to a theme coming out in this thread... "why do you NEED to a process RAW picture?" Do you save as as a different type of file and is this classed as processing?

Offline oRGie

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »
A beginners question asked because I shoot in RAW+Basic (for Facebook) and due to a theme coming out in this thread... "why do you NEED to a process RAW picture?" Do you save as as a different type of file and is this classed as processing?

Directly answering your question, its because raw is an un-compressed file that is large and not internet and compatability friendly, so the raw really has to be processed into at least a jpeg (speaking very generally ok)

However you dont have to shoot in raw, you only shoot raw if you want to process the photo yourself (because you maybe could do a better job than the camera does on the jpegs it produces from the raw data captured) or you want to go even farther in the processing stage and manipulate the photo for any of over a thousand possible reasons.

If you do want to process the photo then its best to start with the raw, because the camera has allready thrown out the data it doesnt need. You can process a jpeg too of course, you can even now treat it as a raw and open in adobe camera raw, but of course your material is allready limiting how much you can achieve.

Processing a raw usually goes something like, open raw and adjust it as you wish, save that as a psd or tiff (or jpeg if your done editing it), open tiff or jpeg in photoshop eg and edit as you like, then save that work then resize (drop ppi to 72 for internet use/monitor viewing & 240/300 etc for printing) and sharpen to suit what your going to do with it and save that as a jpeg with enough compression to keep the file size to within acceptable limits particulary internet bandwidth/forum use.

Hope that not all too basic for where your at ;)  

Re the OP post, it take bloomin ages lol  :legit:

I tend to shoot jpeg mainly and hit the "add raw" when I think I might like to do something or need to fix something later. I enjoy processing raws, but only for fun or, dont laugh, art :)  but I get bored very quickly processing and messing around with loads of files when its not really needed.

:beer:

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »
The other week I did a shoot at Mallory Park when I'd taken a couple of thousand shots.

Blimey that's nearly a whole year for me!

skellum

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
When shooing a football match I average about 100 shots per half  ( jpeg ) most of which are deleted during a quite spell and keep or e.mail the best of the lot. I can't understand why anyone would need 1000 shots and what a nightmare to go through when you get home.............Even when I go out to shoot landscapes and use the Raw setting  I only take round 30 to 50 shots.. Weddings around 200 max. Some of your Hard Drives must be fit to burst..... It may sound old school but I still treat my camera ( in my head ) as a film camera and try to get the setting as near to what I think and hope should be right before I shoot therefore saving film / files and all which has now become memory space on a computer / card  and needless hours of looking / editing to many unuseable images ........... :legit:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:32:27 AM by Dave »

Offline anglefire

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »
Dave, each to their own. I enjoy the physical act of taking photographs and the processing.

As for getting the settings right, I agree - but its not always about that. I do a lot of motorsport - and sometimes I'm after a particular look or position. For example, panning takes a lot of practice to get right - at Mallory, I'd never used the 120-300 before (I'd hired it for the day) and had to find the limits fairly quickly - 1/25" @ 300mm was the absolute minimum for me - roughly 1 in 10 were acceptably sharp, rising fairly quickly to 8 in 10 @ 1/125" @ 300mm.

The processing side is something that I enjoy - and rarely delete on a shoot - only the obvious rubbish. There is a good reason for this - I went to a private zoo a year or so ago - and there is one particular shot that looked nothing - even on the first pass of processing I did once I got home. It wasn't until some time later when I did a second look that I found the shot. It now hangs on the wall and is one of my favourite shots. I could have easily have deleted it.

Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline anglefire

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:53:45 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to say.

There is another reason for taking so many shots. With motorsports, the competitors like to have pictures of their car - so you have to take several shots of every car. In different positions preferably.

And if they go off, try and either get the one defining moment, or the sequence.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

picsfor

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
I can't understand why anyone would need 1000 shots and what a nightmare to go through when you get home.............

It does seem a horses for courses issue as to how many is too many etc.
When the 1D MkIII was new out i attended a day out with the Experience Seminar people at Ely Cathedral where one of the attendees had not long come into his new 1D MkIII.
He was a serious Wind Surfing photographer getting pictures published from every UK competition that took place to magazines around the world.
He advised that he would take approx 2000 shots at each competition. Firing at 10fps he would have only 200 seconds worth of images, divide that into about 30 competitors, he would only have 7 seconds per competitor, who could be from all over the world.
His living depended on getting the shot. The magazine editors were not concerned with how many pictures he took 'to get that shot' - as long as he got it. Pixels were free memory so what was the issue.
He shot only in .jpg and had developed a work flow that allowed him to have all the pictures e-mailed off to editors by 10pm of the competition day.

As he said - digitial was the greatest blessing ever to an 'action/ sports/ wildlife photographer'. Not more constraints on how many shots he could take in a sequence - and isn't that  a truth.
I am learning to think your way Dave - i think it is helping me to think about my shots more - but conversely if i were making my living out of event shooting - i too would be shooting at 10fps to make sure i got 'the shot' and put food on the table. 

Offline greypoint

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »
 How many shots you take must depend a lot on what you're shooting and why. One of the main reasons I swapped my D90 for a D300 was the extra durability because I'll often take up to 1000 pictures at a dog show - more at agility. It's really a case of capturing as much as I can and as many different dogs/competitors both for my own use and in case they want a copy. It's totally different if you're out trying to get things that don't move like landscape where you can take a more measured approach and it's more about angles, framing and the way the light changes - or waiting for the 'decisive moment' to photograph a candid street scene etc. And it's true that most of us who like attempting to photograph birds/wildlife are now able to get at least reasonable images as we are able to fire away without the constraints of film - those award winning shots need the extra attribute of talent!
As to RAW or JPEG it's up to the individual but I really hate a review of a new camera that says the JPEG output is'nt very good but if you shoot in RAW it's a great camera - no it's not, every camera should be able to produce good JPEGs or it's not a good camera. I did a bit of experimenting with RAW when I had a 30D but in the end it seemed a bit pointless for my sort of stuff. I just use PSP to tweak and crop. would'nt waste money on expensive software I'd only use about 1% of ::)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
Greypoint makes some very valid points. It also seems to me that (although I shoot mostly in manual and RAW) in the majority of my own work I'd really do just as well with the camera on fully auto and jpgs. It would certainly save me a lot of processing time.

And on an associated subject, of all the thousands of photos you take, how many do you keep after the immediate use they were taken for? I tend to keep the RAW files, but suspect I'd be better to delete them after creating the best possible jpg, if only to ensure I don't waste time by re-visiting the RAW in the hope of a minor improvement. And I also suspect I'd do better to throw away a great many more than I actually do, to make the best ones easier to find a year or two on.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 135/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636541/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM