SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeWhat annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...Joke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...Uploading

Author Topic: Lightroom Keywording Tip  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
Lightroom Keywording Tip
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »
Thought I would pass on this tip about hierarchical keywording to those LR users that may not know about it as it is a great time saver as well a solving the problem of having your keyword box over cluttered with to many keywords. Those that already know can ignore it. :)

If you arrange your keywords hierarchicaly within each other then for example as shown here, if you type in the keyword blue tit.

Just blue tit appears in the keyword box but all the keywords that are  hierarchicaly arranged above it in the keyword list are also added to the image.

In this case Nature, Wildlife, Animal, Bird, are added as keywords as well as blue tit just by adding the keyword blue tit.

Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

picsfor

Re: Lightroom Keywording Tip
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »
that was the next part of LR i was about to learn.

Thanks for the tip - as you say - could save bucket loads of time
I do try and add the basic ones in when downloading files nowadays but typing them in or searching for them and clicking to add can be the most mind numbing part of the process.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »
Nice Oly - now kindly explain how to 'arrange your keywords hierarchicaly' in the first place.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
Nice Oly - now kindly explain how to 'arrange your keywords hierarchicaly' in the first place.

If you are starting from scatch then the first time you enter a keyword for the example shown you would type blue tit>bird>animal>wildlife>nature after that initial entering just typing blue tit enters the rest.

If you have already keyworded individualy then drag and dropping them into  the hierarchical keyword stucture you want in the key list is the way to go, just make sure the last keyword in the structure is the one you intend to apply for them all. In this case typing in blue tit applies them all but typing bird would apply only bird and those above it.

The only let down to doing it after the fact is that all the keywords applied indidvidualy still show in the small keyword box but you can delete them from there as long as you leave the last one in the hierarchical list there. yuo can still veiw all the keywords added in that box by selecting keywords and  containing keywords from the drop down list.

LR is vey clever and if like me you would use girl>kid>child  but also like to use girl to describe a young woman as well like so girl>woman , then when you type girl LR will give a choice between selecting girl>kid or girl>woman.  Hope that helps you. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:29:22 PM by Oly Paul »
Regards Paul

Offline Forseti

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »
Excellent, thank you.  :tup: By the way, I'm wearing my Christmas outfit as of today - hope you like it.  :-* :2funny:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
Excellent, thank you.  :tup: By the way, I'm wearing my Christmas outfit as of today - hope you like it.  :-* :2funny:

Your welcome ,and yes I noticed the festive avitar, but I had got rather attached to the pretty blonde girl avitar.  ;)
Regards Paul

picsfor

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

Your welcome ,and yes I noticed the festive avitar, but I had got rather attached to the pretty blonde girl avitar.  ;)
And for the new year we will get a grey haired old man  :D
Keywording skills down for next Tuesday - so don't remove this thread before then please  :tup:

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
Me too Oly. After a while one gets to believe that members look like their avatars.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »
Me too Oly. After a while one gets to believe that members look like their avatars.

what you mean you think i look like a cartoon horse?  :-\

Offline Forseti

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »
Darn it, I was just about to ask more or less the same question.  :-*

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »
Perhaps it's more that in this virtual world I imagine that the cartoon horse is making the postings.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

picsfor

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
I've changed it now to a more closer resemblance to myself.
That of course won't change the intellectual nature of my contributions  ::)

Offline Forseti

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
Shame you've changed it Andrew - you'd have fitted in well with this little lot http://video.telegraph.co.uk/services/player/bcpid1529569286?bctid=5524339001

picsfor

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
Yeah - you're right.
Even my singing would be the same!
I'm gonna change it again for the new year.

What a clever video though. Reminds me it's time to get that "Greatest Xmas Hits' out for its annual airing.
12 years old and it still contains the greatest xmas hits! And not a Cliff Richard to heard any where  :2funny:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 308/13 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 112/5 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 17/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 182/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 590440/3915 Jediboy Last post March 28, 2020, 02:04:26 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 569646/3891 Oldboy Last post March 27, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
xx Joke of the day General Discussion 95036/351 Jediboy Last post March 24, 2020, 04:14:01 PM