• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,515
  • Total Topics: 5,735
  • Online today: 123
  • Online ever: 6,071 (March 12, 2026, 03:28:52 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111
  • Google (3)
Wish
What made you feel good t...Weekly CompetitionsCanon kit to borrow (free...Dreaminess Happy Christmas 2025!NiceVeedi 2-Pack Photogra...DJI Osmo Action 6 Essenti...RØDE Wireless ME Ultra-co...NEEWER Snap On ND Filter ...BRDRC Pocket 3 Camera Bik...Lenovo LOQ | 15.6 inch Fu...DJI Mic 3 (2 TX + 1 RX + ...DJI Mic Mini (2 TX + 1 RX...DJI OSMO Action 5 Pro 4 3...DJI Osmo Action 5 Pro Adv...Post your best shots here

4.3million dollars for this

Started by nickt, November 11, 2011, 05:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickt


irv_b

Your not alone with that thought Nick!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Think I might have deleted that from my card before I got home!  :doh:

nickt

If you look at some of the photos by Joe Cornish, David Noton et al, you wonder what's going on in the art world. Because this photographer has a 'name', the photo's worth a lot of money. It's just pretentious crap.

skellum

I have two choices here. Either I get straight down to our local River Ribble in the morning ( no need to take all my gear as I am only looking to take a snap so I could use my phone ).
Or I could agree with you and and all the other sane people out there.

There are and always will be some very rich but stupid and gullible people out there.   :knuppel2:

stevebedder

£4.3 million?? Seriously??

......bit confusing that one

:doh:


Jonathan

We all know who Andreas Gursky is, right?

A doodle by a child and a doodle by Davinci may look very similar - but one has resale value and the other doesn't. Tha gallery just created the value for this picture and could sell it tomorrow for the money they paid.  Or in 5 years for more.  Or after Gursky dies for a lot more.
It's Guest's round

krennon

wonder how much my Old Groynes shot is worth??? mm sell print fake death sell "undiscovered" print for squillions....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Simple

What's in a name?
4.3 million dollars apparently :D

greypoint

Quote from: Jonathan on November 12, 2011, 10:03:07 AM
We all know who Andreas Gursky is, right?

he would appear to be someone who produces very large prints......sort of like a billboard advert I suppose....another gap in my knowledge plugged  ::)

Jonathan

Um yeah.  So all of these pictures are worthless because I have a can of red paint in the shed.

http://structureandimagery.blogspot.com/2011/10/rothko-red.html
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Well....obviously something is 'worth' what someone else will pay for it. The art world discover a new genius and their work rockets in price. Most of us who are not part of the art world shake our heads in disbelief - but we are philistines who don't get it - twas ever thus... Van Gogh etc.etc..  I like the Rothkos a lot as a concept just not sure if they're something I'd pay millions for....supposing i had millions  :-\

Graham

  Well. Disregarding what someone paid for it which surely is just an irrellevant aside. As a pic I quite like it, and I'm sure I'd like it a whole lot more If I could see a really good print  8 feet wide.
             Graham.  :legit:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Graham

Quote from: Jonathan on November 12, 2011, 02:09:45 PM
Um yeah.  So all of these pictures are worthless because I have a can of red paint in the shed.

http://structureandimagery.blogspot.com/2011/10/rothko-red.html

   If no one will pay for them , then yes, they'er worthless (Financially).



  And I don't believe you have a tin of red paint in the shed.............Thinking about, I'm not even sure you've got a shed!
                       Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

If you haven't heard/seen it already then check out this story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/entertainment-arts-13785393

Short version: there's a painting which 99+% of the artworld reckons is a Monet.  2 brothers reckon it isn't.  If they agreed it was, it would be worth (literally) millions - as it is the owner paid £40,000 and most people reckon that's too much.

So....almost nobody on earth can tell that it's not a Monet.  But it's worth a small fraction of what a Monet would be.

Yes, it matters that this picture was taken by Gursky.  In the same way it matters whether it was Rothko who sloshed the red paint around.

There was a program ages ago about how "experts" and in particular the Saatchi gallery set the price for art.  They decide Damien Hirst's shartk is worth £50,000 - and all of a sudden it is.  3 days ago, Gursky had only taken the 3rd most expensive photograph ever.  Now he's number 1.  And I bet the price of his next print of 99 cent II Diptychon has just gone up too.

Oh and I have a shed.  2 actually.  And one of them's huge.
It's Guest's round

This website is proudly hosted on Crocweb Cloud Website Hosting.


Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.