• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 68
  • Total: 68
Wish
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on September 21, 2009, 10:47:27 PM
Quote from: spinner on September 21, 2009, 10:33:53 PM
HoooHaaaa, got my first royalty check today. Not going to retire to a tropical island or anything but a few of these will get me some new kit.  ;D

Well done spinner but no painting the town red!  :P :2funny:

Thanks OB, no worries, it goes into my mad money account to pay for either camera bits or computer bits. (since I'm happy with my current PC rig it'll be camera kit).
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Managed to get my new computer to logon to CC. Also, brought new 22in monitor after Dabs sent me an email with a reduction £40 weekend only and free delivery.  :tup:
Also, brought 2x 1.5tb drives which slip into the drive trays on the new computer giving me 3.74tb overall, not including the external drives.  ;D

magicrhodes

Having sussed out my twibble app for my phone so I can now twitter images!!!! I was feeling stupid and now I feel clever! :tup:

irv_b

I have been told I can fast track my purchase of a D300  :fworks2: but only if I take pics at my wife's nieces' wedding :doh:.
I will try to sneak in a f2.8 zoom lens also (2nd hand most likely)?
I know doing wedding pic favours, for people are fraught with danger and disappointment but they know the score and they broached the possibility with my wife, because they can't afford a professional.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

oRGie

Quote from: irv_b on September 23, 2009, 11:07:55 PM
I have been told I can fast track my purchase of a D300  :fworks2: but only if I take pics at my wife's nieces' wedding :doh:.
I know doing wedding pic favours, for people are fraught with danger and disappointment but they know the score and they broached the possibility with my wife, because they can't afford a professional.

They dont know the cost of a D300 and 2.8 lens then ;)  will you have a flashgun for it ?

You'll be fine Irv, just do the homework on the location of the ceremony and reception, get to the brides early to get getting ready shots, meet with couple to discuss stuff and have alist of shots you must get. Skills wont be a problem for you ;)

Or arrange a CC meet there on the day   :legit:

skellum

Quote from: oRGie on September 24, 2009, 12:38:30 AM
Quote from: irv_b on September 23, 2009, 11:07:55 PM
I have been told I can fast track my purchase of a D300  :fworks2: but only if I take pics at my wife's nieces' wedding :doh:.

They dont know the cost of a D300 and 2.8 lens then ;)  will you have a flashgun for it ?

You'll be fine Irv, just do the homework on the location of the ceremony and reception, get to the brides early to get getting ready shots, meet with couple to discuss stuff and have alist of shots you must get. Skills wont be a problem for you ;)

Or arrange a CC meet there on the day   :legit:

If its a Church wedding and they have a rehearsal go to it as it will help you plan your shots on the day. Or have a word with the Priest /  Pastor to find out what you can or can't do on the day. If its a Register Office still have a word, they are quite open & helpfull too. Try to be inventive like your candid street shots and try to capture some movement like confetti being thrown before you have to do the repetitive formal shots...( Take your own supply of confetti or what ever and stage things yourself with the Bride & Groom ) your wife should be happy to help here and she will be able to rearrange the Brides Dress for the pictures ( This is were my wife becomes invaluable )... hope this helps...Dave. :legit:

Jonathan

Quote from: skellum ( Dave ) on September 24, 2009, 02:30:00 AM
If its a Register Office still have a word, they are quite open & helpfull too.

Well yeah - unless they are in Wiltshire......  Just found out one of next week's weddings is taking place under Sussex rules so that could be fun.

WWMFGT?  Had a very productive marketing day yesterday and woke up to find a few hundred quid in my inbox.  Every little helps. :)
It's Guest's round

jinky

Aye but it`s a bugger gettign money out of your inbox without the right software Jonathan. Sussex rules - the mind boggles! What are they exactly? I did some second shooting at newcastle Civic centre and was told by the registrars assistant first that everything was Ok - flash allowed if needed, we could stand to either side and quite chilled. The just before the ceremony started she said the registrar was a little deaf but would be put off by "too many clicks" and even though behind him the flash "might startle him" with his hearing problem. I decided in the face of this conflicting advice to do what I liked and all went well but jees!

magicrhodes

Sussex Rules - Drink a pint of Harveys' before doing anything.... could be misconstrued though in Brighton!!! :legit:

Jonathan

Quote from: jinky on September 24, 2009, 07:59:17 AM
Sussex rules - the mind boggles! What are they exactly?

I usually work in Kent so I'm pretty spoiled.  I'll always have a chat with the registrar and celebrant beforehand but they are very relaxed here.  I once moved the ceremony by about 2 feet to get better light on the groom.  And I can still recall the shock when a celebrant stopped the ceremony, turned to me and said "sorry, am I in your way?" and the total shock when I realised she was perfectly serious.  Often they will say "just tap me on the shoulder if you need me to move".  Flash.  No flash.  Go where you like.  It's all good as long as you don't
1. take pictures of the register
2. do anything to make anybody smudge what they are writing
3. distract b&g during their vows

Sussex rules are a little tighter - some registrars don't like me moving.  I don't know about flash because I've never used it at an indoor ceremony.

Wiltshire rules are......no photography during the ceremony.  At all.  They can, will (and on occasion have) stop the ceremony if you take any pictures.

My closest call was at Chelsea Reg.  I was under orders that there would be no pictures during the ceremony.  The last words of the ceremony are "husband and wife".  Everything else is window dressing including "you may now kiss the bride" so I was ready and set up for a great first kiss shot.  Bride walked in and a guest standing near me took a flash picture of her.  Registrar stopped the ceremony and gave us both a warning.  There was no picture of the first kiss.
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Why? I can understand if the registrar did'nt want their photo taken or if the photographer was intrusive, but as it's the bride and groom's day I'd have thought it up to them.

Jonathan

Quote from: greypoint on September 24, 2009, 02:37:07 PM
it's the bride and groom's day I'd have thought it up to them.

There's a line in the registrars' handbook that the registrar on the day has a duty to "preserve the solemnity of the occasion".  Some counties let individuals interpret that for themselves, some have their chief registrar interpret it for them and issue it as an order.  In Wiltshire the interpretation is "no photography".  In Kent it's "you know what?  we actually make a lot of money out of this.  b&g are our clients and could actually choose to get married anywhere.  why don't we just treat them with respect and make sure they have a good time and get some great pictures?"

I'm pretty sure Kent has more weddings than any other county.  I don't think this is a coincidence.

As for a registrar not wanting their picture taken.......I guess you haven't met many ;)
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Weddings, christenings and funerals are things I try to avoid - usually successfully ;) Last wedding I went to must have been over 30years ago - amazingly the couple are still married 8)

jinky

Really interesting Jonathan - makes me realise Newcastle were quite soft with us but it did pay to have that chat first. I even got the old guy on one when he stood with a group for the set up false register signing. Amazing isn`t it that you can pay for a service in a civic building and they can be such ar*** about an important moment.

krennon

Irv, good news on the wedding shoot, I am currently trying to process the shots my brother took of my best mates wedding (I was best man so got out of being the tog for the day) but like your wifes niece they couldn't afford a pro (they could just about afford the wedding)
Jonathan long time no "chat" nice to see you're alive and kicking here (missed you on the old site we used to inhabit)
WMMFGT someone responding to my plea for help this Sat....thank you  :tup: that and having a fairly quiet day at work...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.