• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 33
  • Total: 33
wex
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

Does this apply here?

Started by ABERS, April 28, 2014, 07:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

I don't go into the home page but straight into the forums. Just setup your shortcut to CC to do this. Problem solved.  :doh:

ABERS

Please can we clear up a couple of things.
Quote from: Jediboy on April 29, 2014, 07:48:54 AM

I find it a bit insulting to suggest that people who participate in competitions are not 'interested purely in photography' as if they are lesser photographers. For me, an attitude like this is more likely to turn people  away from a forum as opposed to competitions.

Where does this come from?

I can't help but question the motivation for this thread. Despite sparking a good debate, it seems another dig from Abers at the people who enjoy the comps. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'll happily shut up and get back in my box). As always, just my thoughts.

I have  no axe to grind with people who enjoy competitions. If they enjoy and benefit from their participation more power to their elbow. Why should I 'have a dig ' at them?

The motivation for the thread, as you quite rightly say, was to spark a debate about why or why not people enter. It would be interesting to know what people learn from their entries since the consensus is that it improves their photographic skills. There are no constructive comments passed on the entries apart from a few voters that give their thumbs up, or not, to them.

Nobody bothers to say why they didn't vote for image No.1 or why they did vote for for image No. 7. They might say 'It was a difficult choice this week but my vote went to No.9'. So, if you garner zero votes what have you learned? Conversely if you sweep the board, what have you learned? What in either case has helped you to improve your photography? Apart from the fact that you've had an enjoyable photographic experience, which perhaps is the name of the game. :)

P.S. I enter about a dozen competitions a year. Some where a judge deliberates objectively and passes judgement to an assembled throng pointing out the whys and wherefores of his/her judgements. Some where the judge passes a more subjective deliberation as to why he/she has chosen a winner and two runners-up. And two or three others where a panel passes judgement. So I think you'll appreciate I'm not anti competitive.

Andrew

Abers having a dig?

A tonque in cheek comment maybe - but if you meet the man, you will know that he tends to say what he thinks.

As for competitions, well again Abers is 'your man' for them, and exhibitions as well. Abers taught me the invaluable part about competitions - that results can be highly unpredictable. Having enjoyed a few discussions on competitions, and engaged in submissions at a photography club in Horsham, I soon realised that only reseraching the judge(s) and what they like to see - followed by producing an image in that style - is likely to enocurage favourable results.

On this forum though, the judges are our peers. That means our picture gets judged for its worth on a multitude of ideals - the appeal of the image, the quality of processing, the interpretation of the comp theme, the technical correctness of the image and so on. In other words, the result really is in the lap of the gods. Sometimes you can see in an entry and know almost immediately that it is most likely to be the winner, other times you struggle, but that's the fun of it.

For me, the competition improves my photography in that it forces me to think outside the box.

But the thing that has had the biggest impact on my photography is other photographers - especially those I have gone on shoots with. Put 10 photographers in a location and tell them to spend a day getting shots and see what they come up with. Those on here who know me well enough know I've been on plenty of meet ups and arranged a a few as well. What I learned from those meets was 'how did i miss that?" as i looked at the great shots produced by the others present at the meet.

Those people with whom I've shot with include Carol (Sarasocke), Eileen, Sandy, Jonathan, Abers, Irvin, Martin to name but a few. All still listed as members even if not as active as they once were. Almost every one of those has a different interest in photography and it was those differences which taught me to open my eyes and see things differently.

The weekly comp produces a similar scenario without the sticky buns, cups of tea and ragging over having inferior kit and other social interactions. And like those meet up of olds - it is not a requirement of membership to enter or attend. It is a way of pushing ourselves beyond our comfort zone and learning to think outside the box.

Join in or not, it's not compulsory - but enjoy it for what it is.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Jediboy

Quote from: ABERS on April 29, 2014, 09:04:11 AM
Please can we clear up a couple of things.
Quote from: Jediboy on April 29, 2014, 07:48:54 AM

I find it a bit insulting to suggest that people who participate in competitions are not 'interested purely in photography' as if they are lesser photographers. For me, an attitude like this is more likely to turn people  away from a forum as opposed to competitions.

Where does this come from?

I can't help but question the motivation for this thread. Despite sparking a good debate, it seems another dig from Abers at the people who enjoy the comps. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'll happily shut up and get back in my box). As always, just my thoughts.

I have  no axe to grind with people who enjoy competitions. If they enjoy and benefit from their participation more power to their elbow. Why should I 'have a dig ' at them?

The motivation for the thread, as you quite rightly say, was to spark a debate about why or why not people enter. It would be interesting to know what people learn from their entries since the consensus is that it improves their photographic skills. There are no constructive comments passed on the entries apart from a few voters that give their thumbs up, or not, to them.

Nobody bothers to say why they didn't vote for image No.1 or why they did vote for for image No. 7. They might say 'It was a difficult choice this week but my vote went to No.9'. So, if you garner zero votes what have you learned? Conversely if you sweep the board, what have you learned? What in either case has helped you to improve your photography? Apart from the fact that you've had an enjoyable photographic experience, which perhaps is the name of the game. :)

P.S. I enter about a dozen competitions a year. Some where a judge deliberates objectively and passes judgement to an assembled throng pointing out the whys and wherefores of his/her judgements. Some where the judge passes a more subjective deliberation as to why he/she has chosen a winner and two runners-up. And two or three others where a panel passes judgement. So I think you'll appreciate I'm not anti competitive.

Thanks for your response. My 'dig' comment was aimed at some recent perceptions of mine.
Most recently where you commented on people using the shout box to encourage others to vote. This has since stopped, which I feel is a shame as it was only intended to generate interest and participation.

Having seen some of your photography over the last few years, you are clearly a very talented and accomplished photographer. I have no doubt that someone like me could learn an awful lot from you. But not on here I guess.

I agree that there is no constructive comment about photos entered into competition. Maybe that is something that could change??
However, even without such comment, I still believe that I benefit from entering the competitions (when I can) as it does take me out of my comfort zone. Seeing other entries makes me strive to make my photos better, not just in the competitions, but elsewhere too.
I hope other people benefit from the competitions and continue to participate.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Daggers62

Being new here I have been on the outside looking in and have followed this thread with interest.

Does taking part in the competition make me better at taking photographs? For me, yes it does. It makes me think differently based on the subject, it makes me be creative, it makes me look for the shot, it makes me use different aperture, exposure, and shutter speed. Do I do all of that to take better photographs or to win? Both, because you have to take a better photograph to win, which makes you a better photographer. If that means I only show 5% skill then maybe that is all I have.. at the moment.. and I won't get beyond that without pushing myself.

Would I have joined if there was no competition?
Yes. I did not join here for the competition but for the friendliness of the site and its users and also to learn from those that take far better photographs than I do. If others on the outside looking in don't see beyond the competition then that is their problem, you can't please everybody. After the closure of the DCW forums I joined a number of other forums and what I did discover was a large number of photographers have their head so far up their own anal passage you could hear the shutter release when they walk. Not a community I want to be involved with.

If constructive criticism is required within the competition area then revive the 'Ups & Downs' that was on the DCW thread. As we all know not everybody takes kindly to criticism but if it is done constructively then it can be a benefit.

For me, and has already been said, it is the dead threads that are off putting as it shows a lack of user participation in those areas. They need to be resurrected and maintained or archived.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.