• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 104
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 100
  • Total: 100
aliexpress
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Have you got any further yet?

When something like that happens to me, I have to take the machine to the computer shop. Annoying, as you have to go out, and it always costs, but at least, I don't get frustrated!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

I got it working. Took two hours of cajoling and going around in long loops. The wifi connection has never worked as a main connection. I have the printer connected to my PC by cable. The Canon printer it is next to has always had a reliable wifi connection.

Some stuff is just rubbish. I don't know why I bought an Epson again. The first one I had years ago was awful too.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

All my life I was told that the longest reigning monarch in British history was Queen Victoria today, I find that's incorrect.  :P

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 09, 2015, 11:03:39 AM
I got it working. Took two hours of cajoling and going around in long loops. The wifi connection has never worked as a main connection. I have the printer connected to my PC by cable. The Canon printer it is next to has always had a reliable wifi connection.

Some stuff is just rubbish. I don't know why I bought an Epson again. The first one I had years ago was awful too.

I always thought Epson was a good printer for photographs. Isn't it?

I have an HP, all singing all dancing printer, but I cannot get the colours right anymore, so for photo printing it's no good at all, but it does all the other stuff.

SimonW

My Epson photo stylus all in one is now more years old than I can remember and still giving perfect service with very satisfactory photo quality. Perhaps because I use Epson ink rather than cheapo ones, but other brands of paper are OK. It replaced an HP printer which never gave decent results and broke irreparably just out of warranty. So my experience is exactly opposite to Hinfrance. Probably means nothing, neither can show how printers new on the market now might be.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

WillyP

I had an Epson that was just the ballz. I thought it would last forever, beautiful prints. Until one day an ink tank leaked. Yeah, it was one I refilled myself, so I can't blame Epson for that. After that I could never get it running quite right again, so I replaced it with another Epson.

Terrible experience, but I blamed it on the fact that I didn't print often, and the print head would gum up. Then I got another Epson, even worse experience. Not only would it not print cleanly, the paper frequently jammed. And it would print at all if any ink ink was low, even though I am sure there was enough ink. (I seem to recall Epson getting sued over that) I wasted so much ink and paper trying to get that thing to print correctly I was actually relieved when it died completely. I took it completely apart and then used the larger pieces for target practice. My .300 Savage made short work of that piece of crap. Somewhere in there I also had an HP that didn't last long.

I now have a Canon IPV90, and I have to say... WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE? This thing is great. It's a fraction of the size of a normal printer, it's battery powered, closes up to fit in a backpack, and best of all, it just works whenever I need it. And printing is very nice, but to be honest, I rarely print photos, I mostly use it for estimates and invoices. And I bought this thing used off E-Bay!  :dance:

Of course, none of them can do what this Dot Matrix printer can:

https://youtu.be/VXbP7OkQ8LQ

Hinfrance

We currently use two printers. The Epson is for general day to day stuff, mostly my ex-fiancé's work in grayscale, and a Canon for higher quality output like photos.

The Epson is perfectly OK once you have got past the agony of trying to get its own software to talk to it. The one I only owned for two weeks was a Stylus Photo model that I got through two sets of cartridges with trying to get it to print any photograph just once without a hideous colour cast of one hue or another. I traded it on to a friend who doesn't print pictures. He chucked it out not long afterwards. I don't feel guilty, honest.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 10, 2015, 07:54:47 AM
I traded it on to a friend who doesn't print pictures. He chucked it out not long afterwards. I don't feel guilty, honest.

Saved money on his Christmas card then?  :P

anglefire

Been told we have a work "Away day" in November - with an overnight stay - venue etc to be confirmed.  >:( The away day is ok as long as it doesn't involve stupid role play crap, but overnight stay? When the next day is a normal work day?  :uglystupid2: And I don't particularly drink. :beer:

Don't really care where it is, I'd rather be in my own bed. :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Quote from: anglefire on September 11, 2015, 06:36:42 PM
Been told we have a work "Away day" in November - with an overnight stay - venue etc to be confirmed.  >:( The away day is ok as long as it doesn't involve stupid role play crap, but overnight stay? When the next day is a normal work day?  :uglystupid2: And I don't particularly drink. :beer:

In the grey, old days, when I still lived in Holland, I quite enjoyed away days. But I worked for a jolly company, with a 'healthy' drinking culture, and most were held in large houses-turned-conference venue, not the faceless hotels they seem to favour these days.
Role play was a nightmare though, even then.

spinner

Quote from: Reinardina on September 09, 2015, 07:31:34 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on September 09, 2015, 11:03:39 AM

I always thought Epson was a good printer for photographs. Isn't it?

I have an HP, all singing all dancing printer, but I cannot get the colours right anymore, so for photo printing it's no good at all, but it does all the other stuff.

I have an Epson Sylus 1400, got it primarly to do 13" x 19" prints. Worked great, beautiful photos, until the cartridges ran dry. I noticed I was getting fewer and fewer
prints per cartridge and stopped doing my own printing for about a year. Can't get it working again and since it's a 6 cartridge model with cartridges last time I bought
were £44 each I can't justify the outlay on an experiment to get it working again.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

anglefire

Quote from: Reinardina on September 12, 2015, 08:51:19 AM

In the grey, old days, when I still lived in Holland, I quite enjoyed away days. But I worked for a jolly company, with a 'healthy' drinking culture, and most were held in large houses-turned-conference venue, not the faceless hotels they seem to favour these days.

Well the drinking culture seems to be to get as much down your neck in the quickest possible time - and I've seen some of the people that go to the away days the next day. Well late morning normally by the time they get in.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Quote from: anglefire on September 12, 2015, 06:52:10 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on September 12, 2015, 08:51:19 AM

Well the drinking culture seems to be to get as much down your neck in the quickest possible time - and I've seen some of the people that go to the away days the next day. Well late morning normally by the time they get in.

I don't know what has changed; we used to drink a lot, and I mean a lot, but there was never any drink related problem, and everyone was back to normal the next morning. At least did not show any signs of alcohol abuse. Our livers probably told a different story.

Nowadays you have people vomiting and urinating in the streets, staggering about, lying on pavements, the women often shoeless; there was never anything like that. On our regular nights out, people even drove home.
Unthinkable now!

Maybe it was because we drank lager, in the regular Dutch 'lager glass,' which is relatively small. We also did not do 'speed drinking,' it was all very sociable with normal conversations, and, depending on which bar we frequented, a bit of dancing. There was no loud music, which made conversations impossible and might have encouraged to just drink.

All very jolly and sophisticated; not sure it is still going on, as binge drinking has reached Holland too. You'd probably have to go to quite expensive establishments now, to get the same 'experience.'

WillyP

What kind of job do you have that involves overnight stays and... roleplay? ? ?

Or maybe I don't wanna know?  :o

Reinardina

Quote from: WillyP on September 16, 2015, 12:16:02 AM
What kind of job do you have that involves overnight stays and... roleplay? ? ?

Or maybe I don't wanna know?  :o

Don't know about Anglefire,  but I had a job dealing with a lot of people, among other things.

Don't know if 'role play' has a different meaning in the USA, but it is just a bit of theatre, where people play irate customers for instance, or wounded survivors of an accident, and others will have to cope with the, often difficult, situation.

And overnight stays were sometimes necessary, because a programme lasted more than one day, or the venue was too far away to travel to and fro. (Being Dutch, we are not used to the distances travelled regularly in larger countries like England, let alone the US of A.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.