• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 129
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 139
  • Total: 139
parkcameras
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 12, 2015, 09:19:38 AM
Thanks for the info Spinner. I haven't liked the interface on Elements since version 10, and 9 is the last one that I had in the old style. The lack of a curves adjustment layer has always been my biggest gripe with Elements, and it doesn't look like Adobe have any intention of fixing that.

At the moment I am 'renting' Lightroom and Photoshop proper. The cost is not unreasonable for an amateur like me. If the cost goes up I'll cancel and buy a copy of LR, ditching PS.

You're right about the download procedures, rather long winded to put it mildly; at least the first time . . .
Not having curves is one of the reasons to go to the full PS from Elements.  However, it is in there they just do not put an interface for it.  There are many add ons, some free, to enable curves in Elements. 

Hinfrance

I have smartcurve as a plug-in for my various versions of Elements, but it's not an adjustment layer as such, it's a filter. It's the only free substitutes for Elements I have found, and I've looked quite hard. The simply truth is that Serif's Photoplus is far better specified (if more full PS like) than Elements, if it is photo editing you are after, but it can be a bit clunky in comparison and the RAW editor is not ACR by any means.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on January 12, 2015, 09:21:10 AM
Quote from: spinner on January 12, 2015, 12:01:30 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on December 28, 2014, 08:51:58 AM
Does it have proper curves adjustments yet? Is the interface still as child like as the previous two versions?

I'm sorry Howard, I was so miffed I didn't come back here to read your message. Interface is exactly the same as 11 & 12 AND no curves. That I can find anyway.
I consider the upgrade a complete waste of money.

It's a particular waste of money when i realized I do most of my editing in Lightroom now.

Oh, and let me just add, this is the first time I haven't purchased their product from an actual store with a DVD in a box. The internet download proceedure is
overly complicate IMHO.

I've downloaded CS6 & CS3 from Adobe's store without problems. I found the download manager worked a treat even when AOL bombed  out.  :tup:

CS3 is rather...O, OB.  :legit:

So is CS6 in internet terms. The new proceedure requires downloading, a downloader, which then installs so it can download something else that installs so you can download PSE 13 which installs, then you boot up PSE 13 and it requires you to log into your Adobe account before you can install the serial number and then maybe, if you're lucky and the stars are aligned it boots up. I may have added a step in there, but I'm reasonabley certain my account is accurate. Plus it took 45 mins just to download and I'm on cable.

>:(

Wouldn't do it again and don't recommend it to anyone. Plus I'm in the United States, which is where Adobe is.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

Quote from: donoreo on January 12, 2015, 11:40:53 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on January 12, 2015, 09:19:38 AM
Thanks for the info Spinner. I haven't liked the interface on Elements since version 10, and 9 is the last one that I had in the old style. The lack of a curves adjustment layer has always been my biggest gripe with Elements, and it doesn't look like Adobe have any intention of fixing that.

At the moment I am 'renting' Lightroom and Photoshop proper. The cost is not unreasonable for an amateur like me. If the cost goes up I'll cancel and buy a copy of LR, ditching PS.

You're right about the download procedures, rather long winded to put it mildly; at least the first time . . .
Not having curves is one of the reasons to go to the full PS from Elements.  However, it is in there they just do not put an interface for it.  There are many add ons, some free, to enable curves in Elements.

$80 vs $800 just for curves? I'm a pensioner Don, even if I was still working I'd have a hard time justifying that.
Ol' blue eyes

Hinfrance

Photoplus has curves, channels, Lab, and, well just about everything. And it's 16 bit, and £80 full price.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

Are there any differences to CS6 and the rental version?

Not that I plan to go to monthly subscriptions (Office or Photoshop) just curious.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

I wouldn't know. I couldn't afford the stand alone PS.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

spinner

I found & insalled one of those add ons that activated an adjustment layer that included curves among several others.
Ol' blue eyes

Jediboy

Debenhams annoyed me.
We ordered a new TV stand that we were told was being delivered on 14th January.
I waited in all day, but nothing. No delivery, no phone call/email - nothing.
Finally tracked down the delivery company, and they'll deliver it on the 23rd!
Not impressed.  >:(
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on January 16, 2015, 08:08:12 PM
Are there any differences to CS6 and the rental version?

Not that I plan to go to monthly subscriptions (Office or Photoshop) just curious.

As far as I know CS6 is the last retail version of Photoshop. The on-line version will be updated and changed as required but you can only access it in the 'Cloud' and don't download onto your PC. This means you will always be using the lastest version but if the server or network/broadband goes down then you could be stuck unable to access the program. The advantage for Adobe is they get a regular income. Don't need to re lie on people buying the new version and reduces the chances of the program been copied many times and sold cheaply on-line or at car boot sales. The advantage for you is you get the lastest version without paying a lump sum upfront after deciding if the upgrade is worth it.  :tup: 

Hinfrance

Quote from: spinner on January 16, 2015, 11:16:35 PM
I found & insalled one of those add ons that activated an adjustment layer that included curves among several others.

Have you got the link for that Spinner?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

Quote from: Oldboy on January 17, 2015, 09:24:21 AM
The on-line version will be updated and changed as required but you can only access it in the 'Cloud' and don't download onto your PC . . 

Almost, but not quite true Oldboy - PS CC is installed on the PC; it's perfectly possible to use it offline. The trick is that it 'phones home' every once in a while to make sure that the user's subscription is up to date. If not it locks access to the programme.

I think that less than £9 a month for LR and PS is a reasonable price.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 17, 2015, 09:57:09 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on January 17, 2015, 09:24:21 AM
The on-line version will be updated and changed as required but you can only access it in the 'Cloud' and don't download onto your PC . . 

Almost, but not quite true Oldboy - PS CC is installed on the PC; it's perfectly possible to use it offline. The trick is that it 'phones home' every once in a while to make sure that the user's subscription is up to date. If not it locks access to the programme.

I think that less than £9 a month for LR and PS is a reasonable price.
I've always bought the discs the old fashioned way. I have discs for CS 2,3 and 5. And LR 2,3,and 4.
I would have to work out how much it has cost me monthly but would I get a "Loyalty" discount?
Also could I then sell on my now redundant discs?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

spinner

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 17, 2015, 09:52:26 AM
Quote from: spinner on January 16, 2015, 11:16:35 PM

Have you got the link for that Spinner?

Here you go.

http://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/
Ol' blue eyes

anglefire

Graham, I guess it depends. And this is only as I understand!

If you have upgraded from one to the other, then only the last one could be sold as long as you are no longer using it and is properly uninstalled as I think even the outright version phones home and checks the license.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.