• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 57
  • Total: 57
aliexpress
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Hell will freeze before I think about buying anything from Apple. In large part Apple are responsible for Microsoft losing the plot and trying to come up with an OS for toys (or tablet computers as those who wish to exaggerate their importance like to call them) despite the fact that most of the world's creative computing is done on PCs and laptops. Along with many of my friends and acquaintances I bought a small fondleslab - some bought Galaxies, some iPads, some Nexus, but we all have reached the conclusion that they are just expensive toys to be used for playing stupid games or surfing the web when something on the television is a bit too dull to bear. And all of us now reach for the laptop or netbook in preference even for that latter task while asking ourselves why the heck we wasted hard earned cash on the fondleslabs. In the 1970s we had something called the K-Tel cupboard, usually located under the kitchen sink, where all the useless gadgets that seemed like a good idea at the time were left to rot. I reckon this will be the fate of many of the new shiny™ touch screen devices will end up when it's finally impossible to see through the layers finger grease.

If M$ don't respond to the deluge of complaints about removing the desktop then Linux is the only way to go.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

loveclose

My iPad is brill for quick browsing, messaging and so on.  Quick and easy.

However, any serious computing, forget it!  Don't have my printer on network, lack of decent word processing software and excel like bits make it far too lightweight.

I like the look of macs, but there just isn't enough decent software to support it.  And as for buying another copy of the same software I already own......no way!!
The meek shall inherit the earth - if that's ok with everyone else.....

donoreo

Quote from: loveclose on November 02, 2012, 02:19:37 PM
I like the look of macs, but there just isn't enough decent software to support it.  And as for buying another copy of the same software I already own......no way!!
Many Adobe products include Mac and windows in the box, no need to buy another.  What software is missing from the Mac platform?

Hinfrance

Quote from: donoreo on November 02, 2012, 02:56:47 PM
What software is missing from the Mac platform?

How long have you got?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

loveclose

Many Adobe products include Mac and windows in the box, no need to buy another.  What software is missing from the Mac platform?

Well I own Microsoft Office for a start, and love it or hate it, it generally does the jobs I want it to do.  I'm not aware that the discs I have will work with a Mac - I believe I'd have to buy another copy that is specific for Macs.  If I'm wrong, well I'd be happy to corrected...!

I understand there's also a Windows Emmulator within a Mac??  If that's right, well then that speaks for itself....

You're quite correct about Adobe software - my Elements 11 came with two discs, one for PC and one for Mac.  Now if that happened more frequently with other software, giving you workable copies for both platforms with one purchase, I'd be a lot happier investing in a Mac someday.
The meek shall inherit the earth - if that's ok with everyone else.....

Hinfrance

My licences for Elements and Lightroom are both cross platform, as is the licence for Aftershot Pro.

The licences for my Topaz suite are not cross platform, and loads of the software I use on a daily basis (ie stuff from Serif) just simply do not have a Mac version.

In addition I have yet to see a Mac laptop for £300, or a an iMac without one of those ghastly shiny screens and for £500 all in. So what will or won't work with the overpriced shiny™ things from Cupertino is really a moot point.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 02, 2012, 04:03:35 PM
What software is missing from the Mac platform?

How long have you got?
Lots of time.  To start, games do not count.  My preferred platform is Linux, Windows is last.  I use my Mac for Lightroom. 

donoreo

Quote from: loveclose on November 02, 2012, 04:12:01 PM

Well I own Microsoft Office for a start, and love it or hate it, it generally does the jobs I want it to do.  I'm not aware that the discs I have will work with a Mac - I believe I'd have to buy another copy that is specific for Macs.  If I'm wrong, well I'd be happy to corrected...!

I understand there's also a Windows Emmulator within a Mac??  If that's right, well then that speaks for itself....
No there is not.  It does have built in the option to dual boot Windows and OSX.   There are virtual machines you can get like VMware Fusion, etc. 

Markulous

As a long time user and provider of support to Windows (since 'doze 1.0 days!):

Win 3.11 Excellent
Win 95 OK
Win 98SE Superb
Win ME Poor - interim rush job
Win XP Superb
Win Vista Dreadful - another interim rush job
Win 7 Excellent

And now with Win 8, a so-far-so-good product. Metro, a bit like Marmite is not to everyone's taste (and as I've only got it on a laptop currently, not really using to full potential - but can see how it'll work really well with my two screens - and took me 5 mins to remove Metro and return to 7 look/behaviour - but with 8 features). It's what's under the hood, the 8's features that make it - though I'd agree that it's a little schizo as it's kind of 7 joined to 8!

Currently, my advice to my customers tends to be to continue with XP but think of moving to 8 (as XP's been such a good O/S but will only be supported for just over a year) but stick with 7 (unless specifically requiring 8 features)

And no, I avoid Apple personally (although I've fixed a couple of systems in the past). I'm not averse to recommending to a tiny minority who don't mind spending the money and really will never have too many computing requirements. Never have liked proprietary systems and my dislike of them has only been emphasised with the recent court cases (and their childish antics) and their unethical payment of tax (along with Starbucks, Amazon and Google). But I do have some sneaking respect for how they've survived (they nearly went bust a few times) to become the world's richest company - and their products have always had style!
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Hinfrance

I agree with you Mark right up to 'superb' for XP. For me it was the worst OS Microsoft has ever come up with; I have literally lost count of the number of times that it deleted its own system files on shut down and I had to reinstall from scratch - backups never worked. On the other hand, Vista has been perfect.

I have 64bit 7 on the laptop and that's OK too.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Graham

I am in awe of you folks who not only understand these things but actally seem to care about them as well! :)
  I regard an operating system in the same way I regard the engine in my car...I dont give a hoot how it works, as long as it gets me where I want to go with as little fuss as possible.
  Anyway I'm currently using XP and have just recieved my disc to upgrade to Lightroom4. Now as I'm sure you all know (and are no doubt sniggering to yourselves.) XP does not support Lightroom 4.
  So do I upgrade the OS to Windows7 or throw the computer out of the window and buy one that is powerd by electricity rather than steam?
               Graham.  ???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Markulous

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 06, 2012, 12:07:17 PM
I agree with you Mark right up to 'superb' for XP. For me it was the worst OS Microsoft has ever come up with; I have literally lost count of the number of times that it deleted its own system files on shut down and I had to reinstall from scratch - backups never worked. On the other hand, Vista has been perfect.

I have 64bit 7 on the laptop and that's OK too.

Sounds like poor hardware (BIOS?) - I've way too many who've been rock solid on XP (and I see from the stats that 50% 'doze users worldwide are still on XP)
(as an aside I even have 98SE still running on a couple of laptops - rock solid!)

Quote from: Graham on November 06, 2012, 01:43:50 PM
  I am in awe of you folks who not only understand these things but actally seem to care about them as well! :)
  I regard an operating system in the same way I regard the engine in my car...I dont give a hoot how it works, as long as it gets me where I want to go with as little fuss as possible.
  Anyway I'm currently using XP and have just recieved my disc to upgrade to Lightroom4. Now as I'm sure you all know (and are no doubt sniggering to yourselves.) XP does not support Lightroom 4.
  So do I upgrade the OS to Windows7 or throw the computer out of the window and buy one that is powerd by electricity rather than steam?
               Graham.  ???

Being paid to care helps!

I'd probably recommend 8 and leapfrog 7 - unless there's a valid hardware based reason. 8 is a faster, more secure version of 7
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

donoreo

Quote from: Graham on November 06, 2012, 01:43:50 PMAnyway I'm currently using XP and have just recieved my disc to upgrade to Lightroom4. Now as I'm sure you all know (and are no doubt sniggering to yourselves.) XP does not support Lightroom 4.
               Graham.  ???
You have it backwards, LR does not support XP, not XP does not support LR.  If the computer will run Windows 7 (or 8) well, then upgrade.   You may need to add memory, or more drive space.    I do have a laptop, a Lenovo B575 that came with Windows 7 and runs fine, including LR.  It was $279 CDN as a refurbished unit.  It is a bottom level system and I only use it to travel and check email, etc.  It does run LR.  I use my Mac Mini (2007ish model) for LR 4 and it is straining a little. 

Hinfrance

I'm running into system resource issues on my desktop - so it's wait for the post Xmas sales and buy something a bit more up to date (ie with 8gb ram for a start), current machine is more than 6 years old now.

Mark, you might be right about the BIOS - but the machine is now 11 years old and running Ubuntu without any issues (other than Ubuntu issues). Been as right as rain since I wiped XP Pro off of it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: Markulous on November 06, 2012, 10:44:00 AM
But I do have some sneaking respect for how they've survived (they nearly went bust a few times) to become the world's richest company - and their products have always had style!

It was Bill Gates who bailed them out in the 90's.  :P

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.