• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 106
  • Total: 106
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hevans

Quote from: beauxreflets on June 14, 2011, 06:02:39 AM
Giving a monkey a paint brush will not provide prize art the like of Constable or Turner unless its one exceptional ape!  :knuppel2:  :2funny: :beer:

No, it wouldn't provide a Constable or Turner, but could make a pretty good approximation of a Pollock.

Quote from: cathusbasically saying that anyone can take photos so why be grateful for good quality shots
The main reason is basic manners. If someone gives you something that you like for free, it's basic manners to be grateful for the effort they've gone to.

and yes, they could probably make good shots, but not great ones.

jinky

Quote from: Cathus on June 13, 2011, 11:42:04 PM
I'm currently having a debate on an american football photography suggesting that if players are given free copies of photos by photographers who cover the game, the least they can do is say thanks.

someone posted:

"These days with modern photography equipment it is not that difficult to produce good photographs without any particular skill or knowledge of photography."

basically saying that anyone can take photos so why be grateful for good quality shots

Well the answer is to stop giving them for free. I shot a local community festival for free last year with some flickr Leeds pals just so that they had some images. Turned out a arts org decided to award some prizes for the best ones and they ended up giving me a small prize and hanging one a central gallery. Nice thus far. I got the large framed print back by recompense and offered the print to the family in shot through the festival organiser if they wanted to travel the 2 miles to collect. Next thing I know some guy is on to me by email saying that organisers said I would give them as many prints as they wanted free of charge and could they order 25 large ones please! My email response offered them at a charge / the original for free as first stated. Half a dozen emails later they still wanted free ones and I asked them to go away. I won`t be shooting for this festival this year needless to say - still have the large print that is of little interest to me too!
Expectations and ingratitude come up often I find when shooting for free - yet when charging all clients have been delighted with what they have and are quick to thank  ???

hevans

Quote from: jinky on June 14, 2011, 08:57:08 AM
Expectations and ingratitude come up often I find when shooting for free - yet when charging all clients have been delighted with what they have and are quick to thank  ???

This attitude seems to be a typical human response. I suppose it's down to value, if it's free, it's valueless, if you have to pay, then it has value.

We gave our old TV to the in-laws a few years back. When they finally replaced it by shelling out for a flat screen, they tried to drop it off with us again (wanting us to come and collect it of course). They didn't seem to appreciate that it was originally a gift and not a loan. But in their eyes, they hadn't paid for it so it was still ours, and so ours to go to the trouble of disposing of it.

H.

krennon

Just been told I am possibly being made redundant due to "Restucturing" just got out of debt and now looks like I am looking for a new job very very very upset current economic climate and all that you may see me flipping burgers in McDonalds very soon  :'(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

mondmagu

Thats a bummer Krennon,will keep the fingers crossed that you keep the job.Think positive. :tup:

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Oldboy

Quote from: krennon on June 15, 2011, 05:05:21 PM
Just been told I am possibly being made redundant due to "Restucturing" just got out of debt and now looks like I am looking for a new job very very very upset current economic climate and all that you may see me flipping burgers in McDonalds very soon  :'(

Not good news, sorry about that.  :'(

Hinfrance

So sorry to hear this Keith. I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hevans

Bugger. Hope it works out for the better.

H

ABERS

That's a bit of a choker Keith, sorry to hear that when things seemed to be on the up. Let's hope things turn out for the best.

jinky

Let`s hope things pick up Keith and all works out OK for you  ;)

Beaux Reflets

Keep positive and they may realise they cannot do without you.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

krennon

Thank you all for your kind words it means a lot, applied for 12 jobs last night when I got in and applied for one this morning so fingers crossed....and what else annoyed me the bloody cloud cover blocking out the Lunar Eclipse last night >:( first proper blood moon for over a decade and as per ususal us in most of the UK missed out on seeing it and it's June for chrissakes it's supposed to be clear skies and light until midnight virtually....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

spinner

Why does it always happen this way. Had 2 external HD's die over night. No common denominator, one was plugged into my iMac in one room the other was plugged into a Linux box in my workroom.  :'( One was old, ok. The other one was a 2TB drive less than a month old.  :doh: :doh:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Went out at 10:00 and returned home at 17:00 and in that time we had less than 30 minutes of sunshine! I expect this in January but not in June!  :'( >:( >:(

anglefire

Main PC appears dead. If not dead now, is not going to live long :doh: >:(
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.