• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 129
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 129
  • Total: 129
Wish
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on January 04, 2011, 09:23:31 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on January 03, 2011, 11:39:45 PM
Sounds like a check sum problem. Taking a image with the card may overwrite a couple of pictures. Drop a note to the card makers and ask for their advice.  ;D

I would expect recovery s/w to fix a check sum though....

Anyway - EyeFi support said "card is physically damaged - no hope of recovery - we'll send a new one".  On a tip off on a Flickr forum I tried the card in the official EyeFi reader.  They claim other readers don't supply enough voltage (which really looks like nonsense).  An hour later, Zero Assumption had recovered pretty much all the data.  Stellar Phoenix would have been a lot quicker but they wanted money ;)

So I have all my holiday snaps back. :D

And I still want to know Graham's story....
Check sum might not balance due to no end of file marker, which happens if the file become truncated.  :o

Glad you got it sorted but the reason sounds very strange. Then again I know nothing about EyeFi cards.  :-[

spinner

Quote from: Jonathan on January 04, 2011, 11:03:08 AM

They say that if you use a CF adapter with an EyeFi then sooner or later you will lose data.  Their theory doesn't seem to hold water and I reckon it's all down to their magic reader - but they are offering a replacement so it would be foolish not to accept.

If they have designed their card to required higher voltage than a CF adapter puts out I can see that. It may be a scam to sell their special adapter, but I had a similar issue last summer with an external hard drive where one PC wouldn't find any data on it despite it have loads of photos.
Finally figure out, that PC has old USB 1.1 ports. Had enough juice to see the drive but not enough to read what was on it.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

CML-1591

Quote from: spinner on January 04, 2011, 12:25:06 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on January 04, 2011, 11:03:08 AM

They say that if you use a CF adapter with an EyeFi then sooner or later you will lose data.  Their theory doesn't seem to hold water and I reckon it's all down to their magic reader - but they are offering a replacement so it would be foolish not to accept.

If they have designed their card to required higher voltage than a CF adapter puts out I can see that. It may be a scam to sell their special adapter, but I had a similar issue last summer with an external hard drive where one PC wouldn't find any data on it despite it have loads of photos.
Finally figure out, that PC has old USB 1.1 ports. Had enough juice to see the drive but not enough to read what was on it.

stupid minor mistakes that cause me keep failing my driving test  :(  >:(
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Skhilled

Snowing too much here and have to take off from work again. Too dangerous to drive. Unfortunately, the job doesn't care that you have to drive 30 minutes to get there when they don't plow the roads.  :knuppel2:
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Mick

Quote from: Skhilled on January 12, 2011, 08:28:39 AM
Snowing too much here and have to take off from work again. Too dangerous to drive. Unfortunately, the job doesn't care that you have to drive 30 minutes to get there when they don't plow the roads.  :knuppel2:

Hi Steve.  Snow's long gone here thankfully.  Whole place grinds to a halt here when it snows.  I'm sure it never used to be like that years ago.

Will be popping in to the SMFarcade site soon, need to pick your brains about upgrading. 

That is for when (if) SMF2 goes gold.  This site is so old now I wont be able to uninstall version 2.0.18  Dare say I'll have to use the large upgrade package which will remove all the mods.  Just need to know what to do with arcade database tables etc, and if I need to remove the original arcade package from the folder?, etc, etc.

I tried to do this on a clone of this site yesterday and it went horribly wrong.  :uglystupid2:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

jinky

Home insurance. I`ve had good cover from Direct Line buildings and contents plus personal possessions outside the home that has covered my camera gear too. Got my renewal quote today. £747 up from £419 last year despite no claims in last 11 years. I call them - is that the best you can do as I`ve got cheaper - "well we can go down to £438 with a discount". I can still seemingly get cover for less than that for the same values which I am checking out - only known brands with good reviews - that I am checking at £369, What annoys me is why they play these games. Same with car insurance every year. I hope not many people take the renewal figure as a given. I usually get them to match best prices found but did get them down by over 300 just by challenging. Do they not want to keep my business? >:(

ABERS

Yesterday really.
Putting my car in for a major service and MOT and receiving a call that it required new front pads and discs, which to tell the truth I was expecting, so that didn't come as too much of a shock.

It was when I got a call in the late afternoon to tell me they were delivering it back to me, and would I kindly pay the bill. My flabber has never been so gasted as Frankie Howard would say. I tried pointing out that I had sent it for service, not part exchange for a newer model but they assured me it was just a service and the brake work I was paying for! :o >:(

spinner

My eyes, my viewfinder, a combination of the two? Nice sunny day, blue sky and a group of big fat robins come nesting in my trees. I take a series of what I thought, were in focused shots using my A350 and telephoto MF lens. When I got the shots onto my Mac there were all blurry, out of 8 shots, not one was in decent focus! >:( :'(

Making it worse, I've been able to confirm a suspicion that my sighting was quite out of the ordinary. Robins (american) don't remain in Ontario this late in the winter but are usually gone by mid Dec.
Ol' blue eyes

krennon

What lens were you using Spin, I've got an A350 with a Minolta 75-300 MF lens (as well as the SONY Kit 18-70 and 55-200) Not noticed any problems with mine...did get caught out with the dioptre adjuster once inadvertently flicked it somehow, took a series of deer shots and they were all blurred.....my fault entirely....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

anglefire

Quote from: ABERS on January 13, 2011, 08:38:22 AM
Yesterday really.
Putting my car in for a major service and MOT and receiving a call that it required new front pads and discs, which to tell the truth I was expecting, so that didn't come as too much of a shock.

It was when I got a call in the late afternoon to tell me they were delivering it back to me, and would I kindly pay the bill. My flabber has never been so gasted as Frankie Howard would say. I tried pointing out that I had sent it for service, not part exchange for a newer model but they assured me it was just a service and the brake work I was paying for! :o >:(

My next service will be done by an independent that I know - I just need to book him very early because he is very popular. Landrover want £110 ish an hour - and I'm not convinced they do everything right - mine went in for some warranty work last week - and was told they had to adjust the rear propshaft - But there is nothing to adjust on a prop - so I think it code for tightening the bolts  :doh:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

some cheap no name brand I got off the internet. all mechanical like a big pipe with a lens screwed on the end. It works fine if mounted to a tripod and focused on a fixed object. I usually use it in summer where I mount it to the tripod and focus it on one of my feeders at the far end of my garden.
Ol' blue eyes

spinner

I shouldn't kid myself and blame the glass or the camera. it's my diabetes, out of whack. Dr.'s threatened to make me insulin dependent as the pills aren't doing the jobl  >:(
Ol' blue eyes

Graham

Quote from: spinner on January 15, 2011, 12:33:14 PM
I shouldn't kid myself and blame the glass or the camera. it's my diabetes, out of whack. Dr.'s threatened to make me insulin dependent as the pills aren't doing the jobl  >:(
I'm not familiar with your camera Spin but it can only be down to your eyesight if your focusing manually.
       If your using focus points where you select the point, place it over your subject, half press the shutter and recieve indication that you have "focus lock" (green light, buzz, ringing bells, small electric shock or some such.) then it's your camera/lens. Assuming it is focus issues and not camera shake.
                          Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

spinner

No focus lock I'm afraid, it's a completely mechanical lens. There are no electrical connections at all. Basically a long tube with glass at the end. The camera only operates in Aperture mode and aperture and exposure is the only data shown in the viewfinder. As I said, works well, on a tripod with a fixed target already pre focused, like a bird feeder. We're talking a really really cheap ebay purchase from the Orient.  :-[ The adverts showed a shot of an Eagle flying allegedly captured by the lens, I now realize if it was it was a damn lucky shot.
Ol' blue eyes

Graham

Quote from: spinner on January 16, 2011, 01:26:04 PM
No focus lock I'm afraid, it's a completely mechanical lens. There are no electrical connections at all. Basically a long tube with glass at the end. The camera only operates in Aperture mode and aperture and exposure is the only data shown in the viewfinder. As I said, works well, on a tripod with a fixed target already pre focused, like a bird feeder. We're talking a really really cheap ebay purchase from the Orient.  :-[ The adverts showed a shot of an Eagle flying allegedly captured by the lens, I now realize if it was it was a damn lucky shot.
Oh. I see.
                    Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.