• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 57
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54
wex
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on September 13, 2011, 11:39:13 AM

WMMFGT - after looking like I was not accepted after all to be a contractor for a big construction firm I shot for  they have now accepted my generic risk assessment form (complete and utter b*******), my insurance evidence and that I can not supply a CRB check and they have to do one to use me!  So this Thursday I`m shooting the official opening of their new academy in Rotherham and Howard webb (referee who invariably makes decisions against Newcastle) and Hayley Taylor (Channel 4s Fairy Godmother) are the celebrity guests doing it. Maybe I`ll miss my shot of Howard and say i didn`t see itlike the Nolan goal he disallowed for us against Fulham and apologised for!  ;)

Well done jinky and hope it goes well.  :tup:

hevans

Quote from: Reinardina on September 14, 2011, 08:33:41 PM
What made me feel good today is that I finally decided to 'hand in my notice' to the PR weekly competition. For the time being anyway.

It was taking over my life and did not leave me any time to try new photographic avenues.

The relief is overwhelming; didn't fully realise I had become that addicted.

Yes, I had similar experiences when it was the DCMag forum weekly comp. It does start to take over one's life.

QuoteStarting a ten week photography course for beginners/improvers coming Saturday, I hope that that will also cause some 'feel good' moments. Or preferably days and weeks!
Enjoy!

H.

ABERS

What made me feel good today is that I finally decided to 'hand in my notice' to the PR weekly competition. For the time being anyway.

It was taking over my life and did not leave me any time to try new photographic avenues.

Starting a ten week photography course for beginners/improvers coming Saturday, I hope that that will also cause some 'feel good' moments. Or preferably days and weeks!

It's a wonderful feeling going out with a camera to do what you want, not what someone else has suggested you should look for. There must be a help group for the addiction to competitions. ;)

I know you'll enjoy the course, good luck.

Reinardina

Quote from: hevans on September 15, 2011, 08:31:12 AM

Yes, I had similar experiences when it was the DCMag forum weekly comp. It does start to take over one's life.

QuoteStarting a ten week photography course for beginners/improvers coming Saturday, I hope that that will also cause some 'feel good' moments. Or preferably days and weeks!
Enjoy!

H.

So glad it happened to others too! I was getting seriously worried about it.
Always craving the next hit, not thinking about anything else, frantically hunting for  the right thing/location to fit the theme, never any rest!

I hope cold turkey doesn't see me off and tumble back into the old regime!

I hope I'll enjoy the course! Have some niggling doubts about it, but I'm sure I'll manage to get a lot out of it. I suppose it must be a case of 'the more you put in, the more you get out of it.'

Reinardina.

Quote from: ABERS on September 15, 2011, 08:50:12 AM

It's a wonderful feeling going out with a camera to do what you want, not what someone else has suggested you should look for. There must be a help group for the addiction to competitions. ;)

I know you'll enjoy the course, good luck.

Thanks Alan. I hope I'll be able to help myself, although I have some friends who help me 'getting over it.'

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

Enjoy it Reinardina and don`t think the tutor knows it all if they have that style. I did a year long course (well took my own time and made it more like 18 months) and did what I wanted when I wanted. I remember the tutor telling me Joe Cornish was over-rated and just did foreground rocks when telling me not to mimic his style in one module. made me want to do it allthe more when he was so blinkered. Must admit I`m not doing much photography for myself at the moment. Not buried in work offers but I need to get my mojo back. Ah well - off to Cornwall for a week from tomorrow so hopefully get some shots. Fear I`ll just be snapping as we are going with friends and am not insured to drive their car and we are not within walking distance of any great sites. Think i`ll have problems persuading all to be out at sunrise or hanging around for a nice sunset. Still be nice to have a week in hoepfully sunny Cornwall.Shooting Howard Webb the ref on a shoot today - after the good Nolan goal he apologised for knocking off against Fulham a while back when I was watching I will have to remember not to shout abuse at him this time

:)

skellum

I have always thought that our competitions are a way to help people develop there skills as they get you thinking of different ways to use your camera equipment depending on the theme. I have never seen it as suggesting to others what to look for. Its the individuals decision to take part and they may learn something along the way. Makes me wonder why we bother  >:(   but what I find really irritating is people still banging on about that other site.

Reinardina

Quote from: Dave on September 15, 2011, 10:18:42 AM

I have always thought that our competitions are a way to help people develop there skills as they get you thinking of different ways to use your camera equipment depending on the theme. I have never seen it as suggesting to others what to look for. Its the individuals decision to take part and they may learn something along the way. Makes me wonder why we bother  >:(   but what I find really irritating is people still banging on about that other site.

That is how I saw the competitions at first. Still do with the competition on this site.

Don't know if it is my character, or the fact that on 'that other site' people started voting for reasons other than the quality of the shot, which made me determined to beat them. And that sucked me in, totally. Addicted springs to mind.

Most of the people here have roots in 'tos' (that other site), and it is difficult to break all ties with your past. It is for me anyway.

Sorry about that Dave! Can't help it. 

ABERS

Dave, I have no doubt that a competitive edge will help people to improve and use their noddle and if they enjoy themselves at the same time, wonderful, none would argue with that, and long may that continue. I think it's the fact that about every subject, theme or challenge has been exhausted. It's somewhat akin to reading a photographic magazine where it goes through a continuous circle of repetition.

Please don't get  >:(, it's just another take on the subject.

greypoint

One of the ways you can split up types of photography/photographers is into those who go out to specifically take a certain shot/set a shot up and those who photograph what happens to be there, albeit in different ways/angles. I think those of us who fall mainly into the latter category often have a problem with competitions - unless the subject happens to coincide with what we see/take during that week.  Must make more of an effort!  ::)

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 15, 2011, 12:05:28 PM

Dave, I have no doubt that a competitive edge will help people to improve and use their noddle and if they enjoy themselves at the same time, wonderful, none would argue with that, and long may that continue. I think it's the fact that about every subject, theme or challenge has been exhausted. It's somewhat akin to reading a photographic magazine where it goes through a continuous circle of repetition.

Please don't get  >:(, it's just another take on the subject.

Alan, this may be true for 'old hands,' but for relative novices, there are still a lot of 'obvious' (to others)themes that are new and challenging.

Quote from: greypoint on September 15, 2011, 12:35:52 PM
One of the ways you can split up types of photography/photographers is into those who go out to specifically take a certain shot/set a shot up and those who photograph what happens to be there, albeit in different ways/angles. I think those of us who fall mainly into the latter category often have a problem with competitions - unless the subject happens to coincide with what we see/take during that week.  Must make more of an effort!  ::)

I am one of those, who still tries everything and anything. Haven't found my strong points yet, only a lot of weak ones.
Everything that I think will help to make me 'see the light' I'll try.

Reinardina

Jinky, enjoy your holiday! There must be something within walking distance you can shoot, if only the horror of unphotogenic places.

jinky

Quote from: Reinardina on September 15, 2011, 12:44:13 PM
Jinky, enjoy your holiday! There must be something within walking distance you can shoot, if only the horror of unphotogenic places.

We`ve got a cheap apartment in the middle of a site on a hill above Penzance. A bit of a walk takes me to a hill overlooking St Michael`s Mt but the rest is all by car really. Trouble is I`m with 3 non photographers who get nored with me. Still will be nice week adn lots of other stuff to shoot even if we never see the golden hour due to the hard chores of eating, drinking and having a good time
:)

krennon

WMMFGT, actually last week I was talking to my new boss and telling him how I'm a keen amateur toggy and he asked me to bring in some of my work as he wanted to see it....so took a load of my prints in, and one of my colleagues said she'd like a couple of A4 prints from me....and how much would I charge for them....WOOHOO she just wants them on plain old mounts (of which I have a couple already) so I had a ponder....£40.00 for the two I thought was fair (her being a work colleague you know didn't want to push it) so some money coming my way....how chuffed am I my first sale............err does that mean I'm a pro now  :2funny: ::) :tup:

£40.00 going into the new equipment fund....I want to have a play with the Sony A65 when it's in the shops, as if it feels right then I MAY opt for that over the A580 as the A65 has 10fps rate...got to do some hard saving first but hey ho it's a step in the right direction.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Oldboy

Quote from: krennon on September 22, 2011, 10:36:57 PM

£40.00 going into the new equipment fund....I want to have a play with the Sony A65 when it's in the shops, as if it feels right then I MAY opt for that over the A580 as the A65 has 10fps rate...got to do some hard saving first but hey ho it's a step in the right direction.

Well done on getting some sales.  :tup: You are only a Pro if you walk the streets!  :2funny:

Forget the frame rate of the A65 as it's not as important as other aspects of the camera. My D3 does 11fps but it's very seldom I've needed that. My main reason for getting it was high ISO, as I needed that for low light.  ;D

greypoint

Set up my 2012 calendar template ready to start making our charity calendar  :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.