• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 90
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 107
  • Total: 107
parkcameras
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Took my D800 in for repairs due to a sticky button. The quote came back yesterday for £611.37!!!  :yikes:

Jediboy

Crikey that's not cheap.
Thinking about putting a Nikon lens in for service and sticky zoom ring but scared at what the bill will be.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

anglefire

Actually yesterday - well last night.

Went to Leicester to help a friend with a shoot - and managed to pull my camera off the table with the flash attached - and it dropped on the flash gun, which somewhat deformed the foot and no longer works.

Now will see how good the insurance company is.  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Jediboy on November 07, 2015, 08:48:00 PM
Crikey that's not cheap.
Thinking about putting a Nikon lens in for service and sticky zoom ring but scared at what the bill will be.

I have a Nikon 16-85 and had the same issue whilst under warranty. WEX sorted it for me but now 2 yr later the problem has came back but a little more serious with a rattling sound inside. ( probably a loose screw ? )
Had an on line quote of min 250 notes. A new lens is 405 notes so I declined the quote and will be putting lens on flea bay as repair or spares.

I also have a Nikon 70-300 which needs a new weather seal on the rear. Was quoted 120 notes for that. With this one  I had a go myself and managed to reseat it in a fashion.

There are some tutorial vids Ive seen on youtube for lens repairs but after watching one or two of them I decided not to bother trying it myself.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Mick

Quote from: Oldboy on November 05, 2015, 05:27:54 PM
Took my D800 in for repairs due to a sticky button. The quote came back yesterday for £611.37!!!  :yikes:

??? That a bit like Renaldo's weekly wage, an obscene amount of money.  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Jediboy

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on November 08, 2015, 10:22:17 AM
Crikey that's not cheap.

I have a Nikon 16-85 and had the same issue whilst under warranty. WEX sorted it for me but now 2 yr later the problem has came back but a little more serious with a rattling sound inside. ( probably a loose screw ? )
Had an on line quote of min 250 notes. A new lens is 405 notes so I declined the quote and will be putting lens on flea bay as repair or spares.

I also have a Nikon 70-300 which needs a new weather seal on the rear. Was quoted 120 notes for that. With this one  I had a go myself and managed to reseat it in a fashion.

There are some tutorial vids Ive seen on youtube for lens repairs but after watching one or two of them I decided not to bother trying it myself.

It almost makes you wonder if they want people to buy new lenses or bodies and not repair what they already have. Mine isnt too much of a problem at the moment, but I know it exists, and that makes me want to fix it. Will see.

Chris

Reinardina

Quote from: Jediboy on November 09, 2015, 12:55:34 AM
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on November 08, 2015, 10:22:17 AM
Crikey that's not cheap.

It almost makes you wonder if they want people to buy new lenses or bodies and not repair what they already have. Mine isnt too much of a problem at the moment, but I know it exists, and that makes me want to fix it. Will see.

Friend of mine had focusing problems with his Nikon. Cannot remember technical details. As he was unemployed at the time, he agreed with Nikon on a maximum cost for the repair, and they would contact him if it would be more costly.

He waited and waited and waited, was told they sent for a part, it was in repair etcetera.

Then he was told it was repaired and it cost hundreds of pounds, way above the agreed amount. They had never come back to him, to tell him it would be more expensive.

Thank goodness he had the relevant emails, but it still cost him a lot of time and trouble to get it solved. In the end they agreeed he could pay the agreed amount (or they may even have waived the charge, I am not entirely sure) and the camera was duly returned.

The problem was not solved however, so it had to be sent back again, but now under guarantee.

Another few weeks before it was returned, in working order, but he never trusted it again.

He had been a devoted Nikon man most of his life, but this experience ruined his trust and he sold everything Nikon and bought one of those new fangled Fuji's, with which he is very happy!  (He's back in work too, so he could afford to invest in a nice new set up.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Jediboy

I'm keen to avoid that sort of grief. And don't want a big bill either. It's a shame that people still have these experiences, especially with big companies.

Chris

Markulous

Quote from: Jediboy on November 09, 2015, 12:55:34 AM

Of course they don't really want you to repair your kit; much more costly (for them and you) than an efficiently manufactured version, fresh off the production line

My 7D recently failed. I suspect it's the motherboard, a very costly item so not bothered getting it fixed as it's done me proud over the last 5 1/2 years and approx half a million pics. Buttons are worn, it's been dropped a couple of times and it suffered from a problem on Day 1, namely would shutdown if left on standby in cold (less than -5C) conditions. Didn't bother getting it fixed on Day 1 as I knew they'd be weeks with it, possibly not find the fault and potentially make it worse. Oh, what do I use now? Secondhand 7D which had just over 4,000 shutter actuations and is shiny!  ;)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Jediboy on November 09, 2015, 10:10:47 AM
I'm keen to avoid that sort of grief. And don't want a big bill either. It's a shame that people still have these experiences, especially with big companies.
Agree
In my case with the 2 broken Nikon lenses, I decided to opt for a 18-270 Tamron lens from Hdew cameras.
I must say I am so far impressed with the results from it.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Markulous on November 09, 2015, 11:08:24 AM

My 7D recently failed.

Crikey, averaging around 250 pictures a day every day for more than five years is very impressive. No wonder it was kn*ckered.

My Pentax K10D is 9 years old, still perfect despite being dropped a number of times. My K20D is 7 years old - I had to chisel a flash extension lead off of the hot shoe with a screwdriver when I stupidly put it on the wrong way around. Still works perfectly. My first K5 was one of the early ones with a faulty sensor. The replacement one will be 5 years old this Christmas. Don't know how many activations as the data is not available - the shutter counts reset when they go past 10,000.

I keep the K10D in the car, the K20D with a macro lens on, and carry the K5 most places.

I know that Pentax cameras have never been as 'whizz bang' as Canons and Nikons, but they are really tough - reliability means a lot to me.

I can't comment on Pentax branded lenses as I only have the kit ones and one 35mm cheapy. My other lenses are Sigma and Tamron, and I like the Tamrons despite the fact that they could be rather better dust sealed.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Markulous

I still have my Fuji s602z - still takes perfectly good pics (if you call interpolated 6MP good!  :) ). Pic taken a year ago -  bought it 2002

And still have my original 2004 Sigma SD10 despite it being very battered and only now working with external power (can't get the batteries anymore). Even bought the SD14 - and have to say that for pure quality and feel of image, not had anything that equalled since. But never very reliable (you could take 6 pics in rapid succession of the same scene and they'd all be slightly different!) and lack of lenses was a killer
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Paul Montgomery

What annoyed me? Insurance companies (well, isn't that a surprise...)

My wife is temporarily out of work - come renewal time on her car - Thats an extra £20 due to change of circumstances (note, thats not an admin fee - its an extra £20 on the premium). Why? Do they think she's going to spend all day driving round as she's not going to work?
Then, as if that isn't silly enough - an extra tenner on my insurance too (she's a named driver) Again - why? Her pattern of use on my car isn't going to change one bit as I take it to work during the day.

And relax - rant over...

Oldboy

Yes, the cost is a pain for a weather sealed camera. Had the same problem with the D3 and that cost £569 to repair. My D200 still works without problems and that has been wet many times.  :doh:

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 09, 2015, 01:23:56 PM

Don't know how many activations as the data is not available - the shutter counts reset when they go past 10,000.

Use Opanda software to find the number of shutter activation on your camera. All cameras record this but don't display it for you to see.  :(

spinner

WAMT? A tire storage company. I don't suppose you guys keep a set of winter and summer wheels that you change over depending on the season? It's very common here in the Great White North and there are places that specialize in storing your wheels and changing them over. Anyway I store mine at a place on the far side of my city as it is near my wife's place of employment. Went there today on appt. to get my winter wheels installed.
After about half hour the manager comes out and tells me they can't do the change over. Car has wheel locks and they can't find the key. Since I know my local mechanic had worked on the car recently I drove there to inquire of there was somewhere the might have 'hidden' the key. The owner says no they usually just put it back where it's supposed to be stored. It's a VW, if any of you know VW or owned one, know they keep all the tire changing bits and pieces in a pouch that stores in the spare wheel well. My mechanic and I go out to the car. He pulls up the wheel cover, pulls out the pouch, reaches into it and retrieves the wheel lock key. All of 20 secs.

Now, why wouldn't a business that specializes in wheels and such no know that VW does this??? Wasted trip across the city, wasted morning, now I have to go back Fri. for them to do the job. If they didn't have possession of my wheels I might have gone somewhere else. It never occurred to me they wouldn't know where to look (claimed they'd looked everywhere) and I was thinking we'd lost the lock somewhere.  >:(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.